Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6768 6769 [6770] 6771 6772 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15791534 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #101535 on: March 15, 2013, 08:15:48 am »

The really interesting part is when you add another prefix.
Polyneurocrator - Mass mind control guy.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #101536 on: March 15, 2013, 08:17:00 am »

Electrocrat? Bloodcrat? Voicecrat?

Hm... What do you guys think? I think it needs more greek then just crat.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #101537 on: March 15, 2013, 08:17:59 am »

Needs to be a video-game incorporating this concept of mix-and-match powers and names. Like now. It is too awesome not to.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #101538 on: March 15, 2013, 08:19:03 am »

Pyrocrat, hydrocrat, biocrat... I think it works pretty damn well!
Sorry frost mages, cryocrat is a bit off... Chronocrat, however, is dead sexy.

EDIT: Wait, Chronomancy, to tell the future based off... What happens over time. So to just watch something. Amazing.
Yeah, made me realize that the common usage of -crat is actually off target.

Common English usage is more of a "government/control by" rather than control of. Which should really be -archy/-archs.

I.e. plutarchs instead of plutocrats, technarchs instead of technocrats, bureaurchs instead of bureaucrats, etc.
You actually *do* see "autarch" used synonymously with "autocrat", but it's far less common.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101539 on: March 15, 2013, 08:25:06 am »

Needs to be a video-game incorporating this concept of mix-and-match powers and names. Like now. It is too awesome not to.
Well the standard formula would be [Aspect] [Expression]. Aspects are easy, we have already gone over a few, but expression?
There is 'crat' or 'crator' for your standard mage and 'mancer' for one who divines knowledge from their aspect. What else is there? Perhaps one who is specialized in opposing [Aspect]? Do we have a suffix for that?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #101540 on: March 15, 2013, 08:40:12 am »

Well the standard formula would be [Aspect] [Expression]. Aspects are easy, we have already gone over a few, but expression?
There is 'crat' or 'crator' for your standard mage and 'mancer' for one who divines knowledge from their aspect. What else is there? Perhaps one who is specialized in opposing [Aspect]? Do we have a suffix for that?
Hmm...most Greek words for oppose are pretty long and are some variation on antikos (root of anti- prefix). I suppose you could use -ant as a suffix, but that already has too many uses in English as "one who does" (celebrant, defendant, etc.)

Plus, it's ungainly. Pyrant? Cryant? Necrant? Chronant? Bleah.

EDIT: Could go to Latin and pull something from oppōnō, "I set against". -opon?

Pyropon. Cryopon. Necropon. Chronopon. It's not great, but it has potential. Melds nicely with all those prefixes ending with o.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:45:03 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101541 on: March 15, 2013, 08:43:46 am »

So what you mean to tell me is that somebody who illegally puts out fires on the high seas is a pyrant pirate?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #101542 on: March 15, 2013, 08:43:52 am »

Neuromancer is still one of the coolest words ever :P
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101543 on: March 15, 2013, 08:45:14 am »

Oneiromancer is still pretty cool.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101544 on: March 15, 2013, 08:50:17 am »

Hmm...most Greek words for oppose are pretty long and are some variation on antikos (root of anti- prefix). I suppose you could use -ant as a suffix, but that already has too many uses in English as "one who does" (celebrant, defendant, etc.)

Pyropon. Cryopon. Necropon. Chronopon. It's not great, but it has potential. Melds nicely with all those prefixes ending with o.
Wait, I have it. It is a little bit of a stretch, but phage could work. Plus it sounds great.

Chronophage sounds fucking terrifying.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101545 on: March 15, 2013, 08:52:23 am »

Wait, I have it. It is a little bit of a stretch, but phage could work. Plus it sounds great.

It does... but that means time eater doesn't it?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101546 on: March 15, 2013, 08:53:56 am »

Pretty much. Time eater is close enough to time destroyer for me to not care for the technical difference, but chronant just isn't doing it for me.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #101547 on: March 15, 2013, 08:54:19 am »

It does... but that means time eater doesn't it?

Which just makes it more terrifying
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101548 on: March 15, 2013, 09:01:03 am »

So if we were to build a class system around this, we might have the following possibilities in a simple build.

ControlsDivinesConsumesGuards
FirePyrocratPyromancerPyrophagePyrophyl
DeathNecrocratNecromancerNecrophageNecrophyl
TimeChronocratChronomancerChronophageChronophyl
FrostCryocratCryomancerCryophageCryophyl
LifeBiocratBiomancerBiophageBiophyl

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #101549 on: March 15, 2013, 09:03:09 am »

Chronophage is terrifying roughly up to the point you realize that "one who consumes time" is... pretty much everything. Eat time, do stuff.

But yeah, -phage makes for great stuff. Helped inspire an artifact named Umbraphage for ToME4, heh. Glad I didn't have to code that one :P

Necrophage is actually a D&D critter, I think. There's one in Incursion, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 6768 6769 [6770] 6771 6772 ... 13325