Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can demons be used as fortress guardians?  (Read 2152 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Can demons be used as fortress guardians?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 02:51:59 pm »

Demons WILL destroy drawbridges and drawbridges will be destroyed if you try to atom-smash them. I'm pretty darn sure of it.

Also, HFS-proof room in which you can release your guard demons on:

.+++.
.+D+.
.+++.

. = moat/channel

+ = floor tile

D = demon

Now you just need a bridge and a lever to release them, I think this will keep them alive for adventurer mode, while caged stuff will be dead.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 09:27:18 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 03:17:51 am »

Demons WILL destroy drawbridges and drawbridges will be destroyed if you try to atom-smash them. I'm pretty darn sure of it.

Also, HFS-proof room in which you can release your guard demons on:

.+++.
.+D+.
.+++.

. = moat/channel

+ = floor tile

D = demon

Now you just need a bridge and a lever to release them, I think this will keep them alive for adventurer mode, while caged stuff will be dead.

I've actually had caged monsters escape and reside as hidden ambushers within the fort post abandon. I once trapped a named giant cave spider in a cage before I abandoned. Later, when I reclaimed it, I was working on clearing out the legendary dining room when I got the message that the named spider had trapped my metalsmith in the magma forges.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 03:52:08 am »

Set the naughty clowns to kill the squishies? Awesome.

(is thinking of that awesome thread where the word "clowns" was used to describe all HFS, which was easily the most epic method of censorship ever.)
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 12:55:08 pm »

Dakk:  So far, the demons seem not to be smashing my drawbridges.  I would try slamming one down on them, except that it would invalidate my experiment.

Grendus:  It isn't that I need an army of tentacle demons to cover the land and devour goblins, wildlife, merchants and immigrants alike.  It's just that I want an army of tentacle demons to cover the land and devour goblins, wildlife, merchants and immigrants alike.

Incidentally, I have trapped a bunch of orcs (Dig Deeper...) in a section that the demons have access to.  So far, the reaction has been somewhat ... underwhelming.  The two forces give no indication of noticing each other... I still can't even see the blasted demons.  I'll give it some time, maybe they need a couple of seasons to get to know each other.  But frankly I'm not holding my breath.  :(

joquarky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 04:01:05 pm »

Do drawbridges block fireballs?  If so, you could use them to toggle the visibility of your enclosed demons so that they can be lowered during a siege and raised when the siege is over (to protect your dwarfs from fireballs).

Code: [Select]
BBBBBBB
B.....B
B.+++.B   . = moat/channel
B.+D+.B   + = floor tile
B.+++.B   D = demon
B.....B   B = drawbridge
BBBBBBB

I'm still new to DF so I don't know if this will work or not.

chinkeeyong

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 05:30:32 am »

The demons will probably destroy the drawbridges or burn them down.
Embrace imagination
Steam Machine: DF steampunk mod

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 01:43:11 pm »

At this stage, I can confirm that demons will not smash raised drawbridges, even when doing so would allow them to path to tasty dwarves.

Since the sieging orcs left (except for those trapped in my test corridor), I'm going to wait until more merchants show up and see if I can lure the demons out of hiding with them.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 09:48:58 am »

I have tried this. Savescum.

However, you can use Dwarf Companion to change a cat into a demon. You can then use the program to make it a war animal. *shrugs* This does work and will make it tame/war animal with all the demon attributes. This assumes you have no problems with modding/utility use.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 09:53:44 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 11:40:27 am »

However, you can use Dwarf Companion to change a cat into a demon. You can then use the program to make it a war animal. *shrugs* This does work and will make it tame/war animal with all the demon attributes. This assumes you have no problems with modding/utility use.

It has been observed that hostile civs and megabeasts will sometimes fight, Gobbos have swarmed dragons before, etc. However, it seems like... uhh... clowns are treated differently.

Good luck taking down your army of tentacle... clowns.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2009, 07:49:53 pm »

It has been observed that hostile civs and megabeasts will sometimes fight, Gobbos have swarmed dragons before, etc. However, it seems like... uhh... clowns are treated differently.

Good luck taking down your army of tentacle... clowns.

"Per se" means by definition. I'm not saying game enemies can't fight one another. I'm saying they don't always. I don't think "clowns" as you put it, will exhibit this behavior.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2009, 11:09:48 pm »

rofl... "clowns". Yes, I believe this should be made the official way we refer to HFS from now on.

RELEASE THE CLOWNS!!
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2009, 01:56:41 pm »

try to use cave-in tactics on destroying deamons,i managed to obliterate deamons by making wooden floor fall over them,and using some ranged units to finish any that stand up.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2009, 12:04:51 pm »

I just saw a tentacle demon slaughter a dwarf child, then immediately attack a nearby goblin (who put up less of a fight than the child).  It then resumed chasing dwarves, even though there were some other nearby gobbos, so it may be that they consider goblins to be secondary targets.  What would happen if they couldn't path to any dwarves, I don't know.
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!
Pages: 1 [2]