Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can demons be used as fortress guardians?  (Read 2149 times)

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can demons be used as fortress guardians?
« on: September 20, 2009, 03:44:39 pm »

Spoilers follow

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can demons be used as fortress guardians?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 03:58:51 pm »

You can't tame sentients.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 04:02:27 pm »

That's not the issue.

The issue is whether or not goblins and other invaders are hostile to the [REDACTED] from the [REDACTED].

I suspect that they will be hostile, but there's only one way you can be sure. Throw a few goblins in to the [REDACTED] and see what happens to them.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Randomonioum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 04:05:00 pm »

You can't tame sentients.

Thats not what he meant. He was asking whether demons attack goblins ect. so he could use them as a trap component.

EDIT: Oh god, ninja. Still, you explain it better than me.
If you gave them a biome then the Elves may indeed start turning up with Wagons in cages.
Well, it does tie in to the fact that personality-wise, dragons are nothing more than gigantic, scaly, firebreathing cats.

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 04:13:39 pm »

Although if you add the TRAINABLE tag you can make war tentacle demons
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 04:31:30 pm »

Although if you add the TRAINABLE tag you can make war tentacle demons

And some dwarves will like them as a pet.

For 'corrupt intentions'.

Even male dwarves have the possibility to want that as far as I know.(And for the mental image, you're welcome)
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Randomonioum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 05:15:33 pm »

On the topic of taming, I hear dwarf companion has a pretty useful tool for making war animals...  :P
If you gave them a biome then the Elves may indeed start turning up with Wagons in cages.
Well, it does tie in to the fact that personality-wise, dragons are nothing more than gigantic, scaly, firebreathing cats.

IronBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 07:20:30 pm »

Well, here's a pointer that may help answer your question. Who are the leaders of Gobbo civs? That's right. Demons.

Therefore, it would not be wise to trust fortress defense to unpredictable (actually too predictable), extremely violent, and ultimately completely ineffective (for the purpose you want, anyways) creatures. Any of the HFS creatures would slaughter your fortress shoulder-to-shoulder with the Goblins.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 10:18:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It probably could be done if you're extremely careful and don't mind losing a dwarf or two, but there are likely more efficient methods available.

Then again, this is dwarf fortress. Go for it.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 11:36:34 pm »

I'm frankly surprised that no one's attempted it yet.  If they won't attack goblins, I hope they at least try to eat elves.

My personal hunch is that they won't make even a token effort to leave their sanctuary to attack anything that isn't dwarven.  But no harm in trying.

Right now, my fort uses an airlock layout of bridges to keep itself sealed when needed.  I could easily modify this with a configuration that keeps the fort sealed while letting the demons out via my trading area.  Since I don't think demons can smash drawbridges, only immigrants would be at risk.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 11:38:15 pm »

Actually, I think they can smash drawbridges, thus, I always add a dry moat to my drawbridges. Remember that you can't atomsmash demons!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 01:42:04 pm by Demonic Spoon »

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 02:32:12 am »

Actually, I think they can smah drawbridges, thus, I always add a dry moat to my drawrbridges. Remember that you can't atomsmash demons!

Noted, thanks.  The passage to the surface is almost done.

OneRaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 12:55:50 pm »

Actually, I think they can smah drawbridges, thus, I always add a dry moat to my drawrbridges. Remember that you can't atomsmash demons!

Remember that some of them can fly!
Messing with hardcoded stuff is playing with fire. And we all know how dwarves react to fire.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 01:05:55 pm »

Remember that some of them can fly!

Endboss demon types can, and so does SoF, but SoF atm seem to not know that they can do it and won't cross moats. Or at least the ones with water on it, never tried empty moats.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2009, 01:47:04 pm »

Umm, so after some reading of the wiki it would appear that there is a inconsistency somewhere. All demons have the building destroyer 2 tag which also according the the wiki should allow them to destroy drawbridges... However the demons article claims that they cannot destroy drawbridges...

Could someone test this and correct the wiki please?
Pages: [1] 2