Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Apexwhips - Convicts at large  (Read 24018 times)

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apexwhips - Convicts at large
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2010, 07:23:30 pm »

I'll take the Fish Cleaner, because, who actually want them? Not going to step on toes here. Just change his profession to Mason and get him to do masonry work.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2010, 07:52:25 pm »

Actually, here is the list I currently have:

Original Profession| New Name (Owner) | New Profession
Woodworker (F)| Ricka (Rickvoid)| Engraver
Bowyer (F)| ???| ???
Blacksmith (M)| Metal Militia| Blacksmith
Craftsdwarf (M)| Lakar (Elizar) | Mason
Fisherdwarf (M) | Lobsterbeard (Mr Lobster) | Mechanic
Fish Cleaner (M) | Argonnek | Butcher

The boyer is the only one I really don't have matched up and that is mostly because the descriptions I have remaining all use the pronoun 'he' implying that they want a male dwarf.

So if either Grendus, Zifnab or Dermonster don't mind having a female dwarf instead, I can assign the last one. 
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2010, 08:25:51 pm »

im pretty much resigned to being female, go for it.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2010, 08:29:48 pm »

im pretty much resigned to being female, go for it.

Allrighty then.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2010, 08:32:05 pm »

plus i get moved ahead a migrant wave :)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2010, 04:19:30 am »

I can dig it :D At least someone took the Fish Cleaner job instead of leaving it hanging.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2010, 09:45:14 am »

Could you name the blacksmith Talsam please
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2010, 10:30:13 am »

Actually, here is the list I currently have:

Original Profession| New Name (Owner) | New Profession
Woodworker (F)| Ricka (Rickvoid)| Engraver
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Considering her backstory... that's gonna be priceless.  ;D

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2010, 07:39:58 pm »

What more dwarves?

After what felt like two months, Athel and the traders finally departed and life on the fort returned to normal. Work on the new sleeping area progressed steadily and Mandy told Loki to make them some new beds for their new sleeping area. 
“Why?  What is wrong with the beds we already have?” asked Loki.
“You really have to ask that?” responded Mandy “They creak and rock and I constantly feel as if I'm going to wake up in the middle of a pile of splinters if I so much as snore too loud.”
Loki stuck her tongue out at Mandy.  “Why don't you make new ones then if you don't like those?” 
“Because I haven't been working wood for the last year and a half.  You might not have noticed it but the stuff you make now is a bit better than when you started.  The barrels no longer leak quite as much and the bins look more like proper bins than a few boards roughly held together with pegs.  We are going to have new bedrooms so why not have new beds to go with them?” said Mandy
Loki sighed, “Fine, but I will need some more wood first.” she then looked significantly at the axe that Mandy carried around with her.

“I should make you cut your own wood.” Mandy grumbled.

“Oh, but you have been doing it for a year and half, you are so much better at chopping wood now, why it doesn't even take you a whole day for a tree anymore.” said Loki sticking her tongue out again.

Mandy just snorted and stomped out.  Much as she would have loved to hand the axe to Loki after that, Loki did have a point.  Mandy was faster at taking down trees now and if she handed the job off to Loki it would just mean that much longer before the beds were done.  Grumbling to herself about dwarves who were too clever for their own good, Mandy wandered off into the woods to torture some trees.

Just as she was sizing up a large ash that she thought would be great for her new bed, Mandy heard a voice.
“Hello there!”

Mandy hoisted her axe and looked around.  Through the woods she saw a dwarf heading her way.  “Yes?” she called back.

The dwarf grinned and waved and headed towards Mandy. 
“Now what?” Mandy thought to herself as she waited for the dwarf to come up to her.

“Hello there, you wouldn't happen to be from a fort called apex... uh... apex something... apexchains?” he asked when he got close.

“Apexwhips, let me guess Athel sent you?” asked Mandy.

“Yes! Exactly! Said you might have a place where we could work without being bothered by nobles and such.” the dwarf replied.

Mandy leaned on her axe and sighed resignedly, “Yes, that would be right.  Wait a minute, did you say we?”

“Ah yes I did.  There are six of us, seven if you count my donkey.  Actually here come the rest of us now.” said the dwarf as he turned and waved at several other dwarves coming through the woods behind him.

Mandy stared at the new dwarves as they approached. She was now quite glad she had insisted on making more beds.  Six new dwarves, apparently Athel had been busy. 

“I don't suppose you could take us to the leader of this fort Miss... what is your name?” asked the dwarf. 

“Mandy,  and your already looking at the leader, so might as well introduce yourselves.”

“Oh how lucky that we met you first.  Well then, my name is Talsam and I am the greatest blacksmith of the mountain home.” announced the dwarf.

“I thought Urist was the chief smith?” asked Mandy. 
“Fell into a magma pool.” replied Talsam.

“What about Morul?”
“Cave in.”

“That guy they called Ironblood?”
“Imp got into the store room while he was drinking some rum.  Wound up lighting nearly half the fort on fire as he was running around before he finally fell into a well and drowned while trying to put himself out.  Besides, I'm better than any of them were anyway.”  said Talsam.

“Uh ok. And the rest of you?” Mandy asked. 
The other dwarves introduced themselves in the order they walked up. 

“I'm Rika. I'm trained in woodworking.”
“We already have a woodworker.” said Mandy
“Er, well I have also dabbled in engraving.” said Rika.
“Excellent.” said Mandy and gestured to the next dwarf.

“My name is Derm and I make crossbows.” he said.
“Oh, those could help us deal with our slug and snail problem.”  said Mandy.

“I am Lakar. I'm a craftsdwarf.”  said the next dwarf.
“Not sure we really need someone else to do crafting at the moment, how do you feel about masonry?”
Lakar grinned. “I'd love to try it.”

Mandy nodded and continued onto the next dwarf.  She found herself staring at his rather unusually braided beard.  It started out as one thick braid but then about half way down split into two others that curved towards each other like some sort of claw.
“Lobsterbeard, Fishedwarf.” he said. “But I'd much rather work with traps.”
“Name fits you.  We could use the meat from fish but... “ Mandy took a moment to ponder all the interesting things she would love to have happen to Athel. “We may be able to make use of the odd trap here and there as well.” 

“Name's Argonnek. I … can clean the fish he catches.” he said pointing at Lobsterbeard.
“What about butchering other animals?” Mandy asked glancing at the Donkey foal that had wandered up behind  Talsam.
Argonnek paled a little, “I suppose I could.” 
“Have a problem with butchering animals?” asked Mandy.
“Er no, not animals.  No problem with them.” the dwarf replied.
“Good.” said Mandy. She was a little unsettled by the way the dwarf had phrased that but she let it go by.  The last thing she wanted was to start a precedent for asking about a dwarf's past.   

“Well, I'll show you all to the fort and the Barracks where we are all currently sleeping while we dig out some proper bed rooms.  I'm afraid we don't really have much space right now but that should change soon.  You see we were sent out here without a pick and only just recently were able to trade for one so you all may be staying outside for a bit longer while we finish digging.” 
There was some general muttering at this but no real objections. Not that it would have mattered if there were, no amount of grumbling was going to make the digging go faster.  With the welcome speech done, Mandy turned and led the group towards the fort. 

(Mandy gets surprised by yet more insane dwarves looking for a home.)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2010, 08:07:20 pm »

“Name's Argonnek. I … can clean the fish he catches.” he said pointing at Lobsterbeard.
“What about butchering other animals?” Mandy asked glancing at the Donkey foal that had wandered up behind  Talsam.
Argonnek paled a little, “I suppose I could.” 
“Have a problem with butchering animals?” asked Mandy.
“Er no, not animals.  No problem with them.” the dwarf replied.
“Good.” said Mandy. She was a little unsettled by the way the dwarf had phrased that but she let it go by.  The last thing she wanted was to start a precedent for asking about a dwarf's past.
;D

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2010, 09:47:19 pm »

I would like a dorf =D
Pseudonym - Ravenplucker, nobody knows their real name
Gender - Either
Backstory - PM'ed

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2010, 09:55:35 pm »

I would like a dorf =D
Pseudonym - Ravenplucker, nobody knows their real name
Gender - Either
Backstory - PM'ed

Got the PM.  Consider yourself added to the list. 
:)

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2010, 03:47:17 pm »

Settling in

“The rooms are dug.” said Gear as he walked up to Mandy while she was brewing another batch of sunshine.

“Praise the stone. Let me finish this barrel and I will come have a look at them.” replied Mandy.  She wrung out the last few drops of juice that had splattered onto her beard while mashing the berries and tapped the round wooden board that served as the barrel's top into place.  “There, someone else can haul that to the stockpile, lets go look at these rooms.”

On her way to the stairs, Mandy stopped by the carpenter shop where Loki was working.  “How are those beds coming? Gear says the rooms are dug.”
Loki grimaced, “I have four of them done.” 

Mandy frowned. “That leaves five left.  That's five of us still sleeping outside.” 

“I know, I'm working as fast as I can.  Why can't you just haul some of those beds in the barracks down there?” Loki snapped back.

Mandy frowned further. “We had that discussion already.  Just hurry it up with the beds, sounds like you could use a proper sleep as well.”

Loki just sighed and went back to her work. 

Mandy turned to find Gear scowling at her. “What?”

Gear just shook his head and walked towards the stairs down.

Muttering under her beard Mandy followed him.  Everyone seemed to be a bit crankier lately, hopefully the new bedrooms would cheer them up.  As they passed through the drop room, Mandy looked up at the open sky above and stopped.  “You would think after almost two years I would get used to that.”

Gear blinked, “I know I never will.  I hate this room, you go through that nice tunnel and then here it is, the sky again. Lets get back underground.”

Mandy nodded and headed towards the stairs.  She would see about having someone put a roof over that room, but she wasn't sure that would really help.  Well they had someone who said that he wanted to work on traps,  he  could start practicing his mechanics by making them some pumps so they could have a way down that didn't involve going back outside.

Mandy followed Gear down the stairs, past the layers of siltstone and down to the marble ten levels below the surface.  She followed Gear down a short hall and into a large room with a bunch of stairs leading down in it's floor.  Mandy walked into the room and scampered down one of the stairs.
The room was small with rough-hewn walls and rocks littered the floor.  Someone had already dragged one of Loki's new beds into a corner. The bed was only slightly better than the crude ones in the barracks above, but It was the most wonderful thing Mandy had seen in years. “Real honest dwarven rooms.”

“So what do you think?” asked gear peering down the stairs. 

“This one's mine.” replied Mandy.

Gear grinned. “I'll take that to mean you approve.” 

“Yes.  As soon as Loki finishes those other beds the rest of you can claim your own rooms.”  replied Mandy

“Uh, the rest of us?  There are more dwarves than rooms with those new arrivals.”  replied Gear

“Us seven and then the first two to arrive.  We have done most of the work so we get the first rooms. The new arrivals will just have to make do with the barracks until we get more rooms done.” said Mandy.

“Fair enough.” replied Gear. 

“Oh, that reminds me, send down that one who said she was an engraver.  She can start earning her keep by smoothing these rooms.” added Mandy as she flopped down on the bed. Mandy didn't even realize she had fallen asleep until the sound of someone chipping stone woke her.  “What in the name of Armok's kidney stones?” she muttered as she climbed out of bed and faced the dwarf chipping away at the wall of her room. 

“Oh hello there, sorry.  I was trying to be quiet.  I figured I would start on your room first and then go to the rest.” said Ricka. 

Feeling better after her unintentional nap, Mandy just shrugged. “It is ok, I need to get back to my brewing anyway.”  Mandy climbed the stairs back to the surface.  It was remarkable how much more rested she felt now than she did when she had been sleeping in the barracks.  Even going back to the surface didn't ruin her good mood.  As she emerged from the tunnels she was greeted by a grinning Loki.  “Yes?” Mandy asked.

“The beds are all done and in place and I managed to get them done just in time too.” replied Loki. 
“Oh?” said Mandy
“Yup, winter just started.  The only folks who will be sleeping in the chill will be the new ones.” said Loki with a grin.
“It didn't kill us it won't kill them and I can tell you from experience, we are going to have a much happier fort now.”

(Ricka starts work on smoothing the new bedrooms.)

(Winter arrives, just a few more months till the start of their third year as 'free' dwarves.)

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2010, 04:05:45 pm »

At first I was like:
-_- : Oh, somebody bumped ApexWhips.

Then I was like:
;D

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2010, 04:24:32 pm »

If I was another dwarf and I met Talsam, I'd be thinking 'pompuse git' which suits me just fine =P.

Nice updates, I enjoy reading this. You have a nice way of writing.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16