Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Apexwhips - Convicts at large  (Read 24024 times)

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apexwhips - Convicts at large
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2009, 05:26:27 pm »

I really should had noticed her complete lack of title.

Born 82...
Husband died 181...
181 years... so this is probably vanilla generated, so fort started at year 201, so she's 121 years old.

Thirty years to go before she's in danger of dying of old age between then and 20 years later.

Or if you get the king by going the economy way, she's going to annoy you by being the King's Advisor.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2009, 06:58:52 pm »

I really should had noticed her complete lack of title.

Born 82...
Husband died 181...
181 years... so this is probably vanilla generated, so fort started at year 201, so she's 121 years old.

Thirty years to go before she's in danger of dying of old age between then and 20 years later.

Or if you get the king by going the economy way, she's going to annoy you by being the King's Advisor.

If you get an economic king, Athel will become useless. Mandy could probably arrange an... accident.

"Your majesty, I don't know what happened. She must have been trying to get a drink from the carp-infested river by lowering herself with her beard. I blame the elves."
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:30:18 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2009, 01:48:39 pm »

Seeing as how Athel is not reporting this fort so that she doesn't have to pay taxes on the profits from it, the arrival of any other noble (except possibly the Dungeon Master) will represent a bit of a problem. 
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2009, 03:03:34 pm »

Hm, then it would be better if to turn off economy. I don't remember if that will also bar the Baron from arriving, but one can try at least. I think back in 2D there was a clear correlation between some migrating noble and economy. I think it was when the tax collector came, who came with the baron and hammerer.

So turn off economy, and then you can perhaps prevent the Baron.

And I remember that you need to have some kind of Feature at your site to get the Dungeon Master, still, a brook is a Feature, so if you have that you're golden :P.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2009, 09:48:30 pm »

Ah I meant a problem for Athel not one for ME.  :D
I'm quite looking forward to the arrival of the nobles. 

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2009, 12:59:42 am »

Where has my sunshine gone?

Mandy grumbled to herself as she headed to the trade depot. She had made a request for some seeds for underground crops, sunshine was all well and good but sometimes one just had a craving for some good old fashioned dwarven rum. She also requested some meats and threw in a request for silk and leather as well. Mandy had no idea what sorts of thing Athel might demand in the future so she figured it would be prudent to make sure they were well stocked.

Of course it wasn't until after Mandy had said what they wanted that Athel showed her the list of things she wanted in return.

(Toys? Why toys?)

Mandy wondered at the toys, Athel claimed that she was just passing along what folks had requested but Mandy wouldn't put it past her to add a few things just to mess with them. At least they had picks now so they could in-theory make almost everything on the list.

Arriving at the depot, Mandy started looking through the goods they had brought while she waited for the bins of gloves and whatnot to be hauled to the depot. Athel had apparently brought what they had requested, much to Mandy's surprise. She was sure the wagons were going to hold nothing more than a few piles of second hand goblin clothing.

“I see you found the picks.” said Athel wandering over. “I'm surprised, I thought you would be more thrilled at getting those. I was expecting a little dance at least.”

Mandy opened her mouth to tell Athel she could go sleep with tentacle demons but thought better of it. “They remind me of the place we came from.” she said instead.

“I'm so sorry they are distressing you, perhaps I should take them back with me to spare you further troubling memories?” Athel said grinning.

“No!” said Mandy attempting to look alarmed. She would have loved to tell Athel that they really didn't need then now but then she would know about the human traders who visited already. Given Athel's reaction to finding out about the elves Mandy wanted to keep that bit a secret. That meant that she had to pretend they still needed the picks as everyone knew that elves didn't trade in metal and you couldn't make a pick from wood.

Athel chuckled at Mandy's response. “Well then do try to look happier about seeing them would you?”

Mandy once again battled with her face and this time only won the war to smile by picturing returning the picks to Athel in some rather creative, uncomfortable, and most certainly anatomically impossible ways. She was spared further suffering by the arrival of Skuz. “That's the last bin chief.” he said as he walked up.

“Oh good.” said Mandy with real enthusiasm at the prospect of spending time with someone other than Athel even if it was a trader in the process of ripping them off.

“Oh well while you are busy with that, I'll see about exploring the rest of this fine fort you have here.” said Athel

“Wonderful, you go do that while I see that your trader here gets the absolute best deal.” Mandy said with a huge grin.

Athel frowned for a moment at Mandy's sudden enthusiasm.

Mandy made shooing motions with her hands at Athel, “Go on, do have fun. I learned a few things from dealing with those elves that brought us the sunshine so I feel much more comfortable dealing with traders now.”

“On second thought, I had better stay. I wouldn't want you to get a bad deal for all those gloves you worked so hard on now would I?” Athel said.

It didn't take much effort for Mandy to look disappointed at Athel's change in mind. She really would have preferred it if Athel left her alone but hiding their digging was more important right now. Mandy was also a bit surprised at how easy she had found it to manipulate Athel into staying. All she had to do was hint that Athel's precious profits might suffer.

Of course the downside to having Athel stay became apparent once the trading had concluded and Mandy wound up almost giving away the gloves they had made for goods that were worth almost one tenth what she estimated the gloves were. They wound up with five more picks, a bin of leather, a bin of silk cloth, a few barrels of meat and a few bags of seeds in exchange for three full bins of some decently made cloth gloves and mittens.

Athel also didn't forget about the Sunshine and Mandy wound up just outright giving them five barrels of the stuff as a “Show of good will.” Mandy hoped she choked on it and drowned with her head in the barrel.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2009, 03:35:57 pm »

Heh, I thought you wanted to avoid migrating nobles because it could muddle up your story. :D

Hm, leather waterskins are in high demand. I wonder why the military is being refused a good drink in the capital? Or is there some mobilization, the backpacks are also in demand as well.

And there was some baby boom as well. :P

Don't mind me, I like to analyze 'what's going on at home' trade agreements.

I wonder when Athel will figure out that there has been some digging going around, that has reached the rock surface. I guess the wooden structure will be there for a while though, to continue fool her. I do hope no one will sleep outside.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2009, 11:30:38 am »

Actually, everything except the scepters, toys, and gems could be read as military equipment.

Athel will fully expect them to be underground when she gets back, seeing as she sold them picks. As far as nobles go, the nobles could themselves be in exile, though it wouldn't explain why Mandy would put up with them.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2009, 10:54:53 pm »

And now for something completely different. 

No, not an exploding penguin on your monitor, tonight marks the start of November and that means the start of NaNoWriMo.  This means that for the next 30 days I'm going to be attempting to write a novel of 50,000 words (or more).

Unfortunately this also means that Apexwhips is highly unlikely to get any updates for the month of November as all my writing time is going to be spent telling the tale of the conflict between some humans, some ghosts, and a large sentient plant.  For those caring to follow along and cheer me on (or boo me for not working on Apexwhips) my NaNo user name is (unsurprisingly) thefool76

For those interested in the story, I'll probably be posting it as I write it someplace but I haven't quite decided where.  Once I do decide, I'll make a note on my NaNo novel page. (and probably edit this post to show it as well.)

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2009, 11:09:47 am »

Have fun and good luck on the novel! Just don't forget about us when you're done. :D

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2009, 11:38:11 am »

humans, ghousts and a sentient plant aye? This wouldn't happen to be in the future wod it?

Good luck with the writing, will try to follow your progress.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2009, 02:13:04 pm »

Thanks for the encouragement! :)
Don't worry I won't forget this.

And the day the Sunberries come alive and start eating dwarves ... would be an awsome day indeed!
:D

Seriously though, the story has no relation to DF or the present world. 

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2009, 02:14:49 pm »

I was thinking more Final Fantasy if anything.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2009, 07:23:07 pm »

Good luck on the novel. I hope to see Lobsterbeard sometime in 2010 ;)

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2009, 07:33:12 am »

Good luck with the novel! Remember to mind you grammar at least :P

And I wager that it is an urban fantasy. I don't have much free time to go read what's online now. :/
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16