Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Apexwhips - Convicts at large  (Read 24025 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apexwhips - Convicts at large
« Reply #90 on: October 21, 2009, 09:27:45 am »

I hate to burst your bubble, but Marble is the only flux that does not have iron ores in it. I actually went and deleted it so I could find some magma with useful fluxes, you're probably thinking about limestone, which is by far my favorite stone layer (followed closely by chalk, then granite, then gabbro).

Siltstone, on the other hand, has all three kinds of iron as well as tetrahedrite, coal, lignite, and bauxite. Might be some useful knowledge for an immigrant to bring, actually.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 21, 2009, 12:42:13 pm »

Apparently Mandy failed dwarven geology.   ::)

Still there is plenty of sedimentary stone over the marble so they should be fine for ore.  (Heck there is always goblinite ore too.)
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2009, 08:58:20 am »

I'd like in.

Name: Boris
Backstory: To be PM'ed

Let me know if the PM got through.  I tried several times, but kept getting some error message.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:04:59 am by Zifnab »

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2009, 12:17:29 pm »

Got it twice actually. 
:)

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2009, 01:09:28 pm »

Awesome, glad it got through, and I hope an appropriate immigrant will come along eventually.

Loved the story so far.  I can't wait to see what the outlaws will do now that they have stone. 

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2009, 03:52:14 pm »

Awesome, glad it got through, and I hope an appropriate immigrant will come along eventually.

Loved the story so far.  I can't wait to see what the outlaws will do now that they have stone

This amuses me for reasons that will eventually become horrifically apparent.
 ;D

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2009, 12:53:49 am »

Doors? We don't need no stinking doors.

Mandy clambered back out of the hole and called a fort meeting to spread the good news. She stood on one of the tables to speak, figuring that what with Loki's boot prints all over them her own wouldn't make much difference. Everything was going fine until she hit the point where she was telling them about the iron. “...and of course marble means we will have iron so we can-” she had started before Loki's hand shot up and started waving about. Mandy was half tempted to ignore her but everyone was already staring at Loki. “Yes Loki?” Mandy asked.

“I think you are thinking of limestone. Marble doesn't have iron in it.” Loki said.

“It doesn't?” asked Mandy with a puzzled look. “But I thought marble was just limestone that had been compressed.”

“I think the iron gets squeezed out of it.” replied Loki shrugging.

Mandy looked crestfallen. “So no iron?”

“Oh, we should still have iron. It will just be in the siltstone. It's found in sedimentary rock.” said Loki.

“How do you know all this stuff?” asked Skuz.

“Er... My father was a miner?” said Loki tentatively.

Mandy shook her head, she didn't quite believe Loki but now wasn't the time. “Doesn't matter.” she said eager to get the floor back. “Point is, we will have both iron and flux so we can make steel.”

There was a general chorus of “oooh” in response to that statement from everyone except Gear who just tried to look smug and knowing.

“But first we have some more immediate concerns.” continued Mandy “I, and I assume the rest of you, would much rather be sleeping in a proper room carved from stone. To that end I was thinking that perhaps Skuz could try his hand at stone crafting and make us some doors while Gear digs out some rooms.”

Skuz's hand shot up. “Yes Skuz?” asked Mandy.

“Wouldn't it be faster if both I and gear stayed on with the digging? Perhaps you could have that Jarvous fellow make us some doors? He doesn't seem to be doing much now.” said Skuz.

Mandy frowned. She would rather not have a door to her bedroom made by that creepy bone carver, but Skuz did have a point. She was about to open her mouth to agree when Art spoke up.

“Um. Actually I don't think we really need doors.” said Art.

“Come again?” relplied Mandy.

“Well, I was thinking. If we dug out a big room above with stairs down to little rooms below we could still have our privacy without having to spend time making doors.” Art explained.

“I'm not sure I quite follow you.” said Mandy

Art turned to Gear, “Mind if I borrow your pick for a bit Love?”

Gear nodded and handed over the pick, “Just be sure you remember to give it back hon.”

Art nodded and turned to the nearest table, pick in hand, and used it to scratch a crude drawing on the top of the table. “If we make a big room like this, and then nine smaller rooms under it, we can just focus on doing all the digging without having to take someone off doing something else or waiting for doors.”

Mandy eyed the drawing. “That could actually work.”

(Housing arrangements. Who says you need doors to admire? We have sunshine!)

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2009, 07:09:32 am »

I've never been a big fan of dug-down rooms, but I can see the need for it though. But some may ask for hatch covers as well, to further add to the privacy. Then people can also admire several hatch covers as they go to their own rooms :P

I wonder why Loki is being portrayed as suspicious. Hmmm, plot....
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2009, 11:47:30 am »

The irony is they escaped from a prison quarry. They should ALL be miners.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2009, 01:19:12 pm »

The irony is they escaped from a prison quarry. They should ALL be miners.

Ah but see most of the prisoners were not trusted with picks and were instead just stone haulers.  Sadly the only thing hauling does for a dwarf is make them thirsty.

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2009, 05:35:49 pm »

I suppose the room on top makes a good place for a dining hall. Once there's a mason and stuff.

The_Fool76: Didja get my dorf request?

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2009, 09:54:01 pm »

I suppose the room on top makes a good place for a dining hall. Once there's a mason and stuff.

The_Fool76: Didja get my dorf request?

I don't see any new PMs in my box. 

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2009, 10:50:38 pm »

Athel Returns

They had just started digging out their new rooms when there was a shout from outside the fort. “Hello!” called a voice that had been showing up in some of Mandy's nightmares lately. “What in the three hells is she doing here so soon?” cursed Mandy as she went to meet Athel.

“Well it is fall.” commented Art. “Though I personally think the dead of winter better suits that woman.”

Mandy cursed to herself, what with the human traders and planning their new sleeping arrangement, she had completely missed the turning of the season. They still hadn't quite replaced some of the cloth goods from their trade with the humans either. A couple of barrels of sunshine would probably cover any shortfall but hopefully Athel wasn't expecting that much from them to begin with.

“Ah, there she is, the mighty Mandy!” said Athel upon spotting Mandy emerging from the back door of the fort. “Oh come now, there is no need to scowl at me like that. We are business partners after all. You keep that up and I may be forced to call the deal off. Can't have a hostile work environment after all.”

After a few unsuccessful attempts, Mandy finally managed to get a grin on her face by picturing Athel being lowered into a pool of carp by her beard. “I'm sorry but I had other things on my mind. We just had another report of slugmen which Akigagak has gone out to deal with.”

Athel shuddered at that. “Oh I can see why you would be frowning. Terrible things. Thank you again from saving me from them when we first met.”

“If you really wanted to thank me you could just go away.” grumbled Mandy under her beard.

“I will pretend I did not hear that. Now why don't you show me what you have done with the place since I've been gone?” said Athel heading towards the door.

Mandy resisted the urge to growl and scurried to get ahead of Athel. “You have already seen the farms the last time you were here.” said Mandy attempting to guide Athel around the corner of the fort towards the trade depot.

“Oh I won't mind seeing them again, especially since it seems you would rather I didn't.” commented Athel with a big grin as she dodged past Mandy and through the door. Mandy, cursing herself for not thinking of locking the door, followed after.

Athel stood next to the sunberry fields with a big grin on her face. “Mandy, you sneaky demon. Where did you come across sunberries? They don't grow in this area. I'll have to insist on taking a barrel or two of sunshine back with me of course.”

Mandy groaned, she had been hoping to keep the sunshine a secret only pulling it out if Athel thought their other crafts were insufficient. Now it appeared she would be expected to make a donation of it.

Athel's grin slipped a little from her face. “Well? I asked you a question.”

“We had some elves wander by.” responded Mandy. “I think they might have been lost.”

“Oh? Indeed? Not likely, I don't think I've ever heard of an elf actually lost in the woods. I think I may have to have a word with some of the rest of the caravan about the importance of secrecy later.” said Athel before the grin re-asserted itself. “Now what about through here?” she asked heading towards the doors by the trade Depot. “Last I was here you were putting up a dining hall if I recall.”

Mandy nodded and led Athel to the dining room.

Athel stood in the room and gazed about. “Not bad for a wood building. But I'll bet you would like some nice stone and engravings instead. Which brings me to my next question. Where is your office?”

“My what?” asked Mandy

“Office. You are the head of this fort, you do have an office don't you?” replied Athel.

“Uh, no. Not really. We just meet in here.” said Mandy a bit non plussed. Having her own office hadn't even occurred to her.

Athel sniffed. “Well that would explain all the scratch marks on the tables. I suppose it will have to do, but next time I want to meet in a real office not your dining room.”

Mandy just shrugged. “I'll see what we can do.”

“Good good.” said Athel taking a seat and pulling out some papers. “Now why don't you sit down and we can discuss what I want you to have next year and what you think you will need.”

Mandy blinked at Athel. “But we haven't even looked at what you brought on the wagons yet! How am I to know what we will need without seeing that?”

“A very good question. Makes it more interesting this way I think.” said Athel with a grin. “Now sit.”

(She's baaaack!)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:53:02 pm by The_Fool76 »

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2009, 05:15:57 am »

Holy carp Athel's controlling. I really should have figured that one out earlier but now she is as dark and foul as the sewer brew.

Also, what is her legends story? She isn't a randomly generated dwarf at least. Any kills under her belt/beard?
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2009, 04:49:52 pm »

Holy carp Athel's controlling. I really should have figured that one out earlier but now she is as dark and foul as the sewer brew.

Also, what is her legends story? She isn't a randomly generated dwarf at least. Any kills under her belt/beard?

Athel is actually pretty darn unremarkable as far as the legends go.

This may be why she is so eager about all this.  Looking to make a name for herself.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16