Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Apexwhips - Convicts at large  (Read 23988 times)

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apexwhips - Convicts at large
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2010, 04:45:38 pm »

Ambush!

It was another idyllic peaceful day in Apexwhips when suddenly the calm tranquility was broken by guttural yells and shouts.

(Well this should be fun.)

“Goblins? HERE?” asked Mandy in shock.

“Yes, ma'am.” answered Derm, clutching her beard.

“You're sure?” pressed Mandy.

Derm nodded in resposne, she wasn't about to tell Mandy that at first she thought it was just another set of hallucinations from drinking too much.

Mandy grabbed her axe and ran down the hall towards the surface.  “Tell everyone to lock the outside doors!”  she barked at Derm as she ran out. “I'm going to go up and see how bad it really is.”

About half way up she ran into Akigagak walking towards the bedrooms.
“Oh good, come with me, I heard there are goblins!” Mandy shouted upon seeing the axedwarf.
“Yup, sure are. Saw em myself.” replied Akigagak continuing towards the bedrooms.

Mandy skidded to a halt. “What? Why aren't you up top then?”
Akigagak finally stopped and turned to face Mandy.  She raised her axe in the air, causing Mandy to grip her own with a bit of apprehension.

“You see this?” Akigagak asked. “This is an axe.”
Mandy looked back at her puzzled. “Yes, good for chopping goblins into pieces.”

“They brought crossbows.” Akigagak replied.  “I don't care to wind up like poor Argonnek. This axe isn't going to help much, so I just locked the doors and now I'm going to sleep till they get bored and leave.”
With that Akigagak resumed her walk to the bedrooms.

Mandy blinked and then hurred after her. “Wait, what was that about  Argonnek?” she asked.
“Tried to catch a crossbow bolt with his arm and succeed.”  replied  Akigagak.

(Open ponds might stop snailmen and slugmen but they don't stop bolts.)

(Sure hope Argonnek isn't left handed.)

Just then Skuz ran up. “There you are, I've got some news!”
“Yes, I know, goblins.” replied Mandy.
“What?” asked Skuz.

“The goblins, outside the fort, shot Argonnek from what I've heard.” said Mandy.
Skuz stopped for a moment to ponder this before grinning a rather evil grin.  “Well maybe the elves can drive them off.”

This time it was Mandy's turn to say “What?”
“I was out gathering some cut logs for Loki when I spotted the elf caravan.” explained Skuz.
“The elves will head to the depot.” said Mandy with a thoughtful expression. “And if we unlock a door on that side...”
“The goblins should head over there, I swear they can smell an unlocked door.” continued Skuz

Mandy shared the evil grin.  “I do hope they brought some interesting trade goods for us to recover from their bodies after they are oh so tragically killed by the goblins. Too bad it wasn't Athel instead.”

(The unsuspecting elves are greeted by a local tribe of snailmen.)
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

soaringdragon42

• Bay Watcher
  • Pillow Hoarding Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2010, 04:48:28 pm »

Emo Elves!  ;D

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 13, 2010, 08:33:47 pm »

Well, 'tis better to be shot in the arm than to be shot and killed. :-\
Oh well.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 13, 2010, 10:30:53 pm »

Well, 'tis better to be shot in the arm than to be shot and killed. :-\
Oh well.

Yea, but not by much in the current version of DF given how long injuries take to heal.
If I ever actually wind up with a surplus of dwarves from immigration I'll consider just renaming spares and make believe that any resting dwarves have made a miraculous recovery. 

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2010, 10:41:13 pm »

And that some random peasant got a mysterious injury in exactly the same place as the recovered dwarf.

Also, do either of us a have a title? And what's my kill count?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2010, 04:15:18 pm »

Diary of Ricka
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2010, 06:12:38 pm »

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 18, 2010, 04:35:41 pm »

A Tale of Two Elves

“By the trees! Snailmen!” yelped Nithe.  “Are you sure this is where that fort is supposed to be?” she asked as they ran behind some trees.

“I'm positive. Alatha and Imere were quite detailed in their directions.  Look, there is the twisty chetsnut with the impish knot half way up, and right here is that highwood with the three branches like arms.” replied Iferi as they ducked behind said tree to watch the Snailmen.

“Well I sure hope this trip is worth it.  I hate snails.” muttered Nithe. 
“Oh don't worry it will be. You know how those insane hairballs like sunberries.” said Imere.  “Now come on, I think the snailmen are wandering off.”

The two elves cautiously crept through the forest until they spotted the distinctive, and horror of horrors wooden, shape of a dwarven trade depot.
“Urgh, I don't know which is worse, all those poor murdered trees or the two Snailmen standing outside.” said Nithe repressing a shudder.

(Pesky snails.)

“The snailmen.” replied Iferi. “Where are the dwarves?  Alatha mentioned that their leader was this crazy axe wielding fellow, he should have no problems keeping the depot free.”

“I don't know. Maybe we should just go home. I don't like this place at all.” said Nithe.
“Oh don't be such a timid sprout.” Said Iferi as they waited for the Snailmen to wander away. “Maybe the dwarves just haven't seen us yet. They do tend to like to live buried in the ground like root rot.” 

The snailmen suddenly started slithering off as fast as they could away from the fort.
“Wonder what spooked them?” pondered Nithe.
“Maybe they heard the dwarves coming. Come on, lets unload.” said Iferi leading his mule towards the depot.

“I didn't know Snailmen had ears.” commented Nithe as she followed Iferi to the depot.
Iferi shrugged. “Probably feel vibrations in the ground and with the hairballs living underground its not surprising they would sense them before we did.”

The two elves set about unloading their goods while casting wary looks about them in case the snailmen should return.
“I don't like this at all.  Why haven't the dwarves shown up yet?” said Nithe.
Iferi glanced about nerviously, “Dammit Nithe, now your starting to spook me as well. Just calm your sap would you?”

“I just can't shake this uneasy feeling of dread.” said Nithe.
“Look it's probably just all these murdered tree's spirits haunting the place.” said Iferi.

“And that's supposed to make me feel better?” snapped Nithe.
Just then they heard some guttural yelps and shouts in the woods. 

“GOBLINS!” they both yelled together, their pointy ears standing straight out from their heads in fright.

(What? Why? They must /really/ want those bone crafts Jarvous was working on.)

They ran up to the pair of doors near the depot. “I'm too young to be made into a necklace!” cried Nithe.  “Come on, the dwarves are bound to show up now!” shouted Iferi as he pulled Nithe up to the fortress walls. They tried both doors but found them firmly locked.  “Oh lefmold!” swore Iferi.  “Help! Oh by the sunshine help!” started wailing Nithe as the sounds of the goblins got closer. 

Then, as if things were not bad enough, the goblin shouts to the east were joined by more to the north just around the corner of the fort.  Both elves watered the plants in terror.  Just then, a click from one of the doors let in a brief ray of hope.  “The dwarves! They are here!” cheered Iferi who, for the first time in his life would have loved to see an axe. 

No dwarves appeared though.  Still when they tried the door, they found it opened easily.  “Come on!” said Iferi, dragging Nithe inside the fort.  “They probably have some sort of trap set up and are waiting for the goblins to come to them.  All we need to do is follow whomever opened the door and we should be safe!”

Sure enough, when they got inside the walls they spotted one of the dwarves running away to a door on the far side. “That must be the fellow who unlocked the door for us! Wait up! We are coming!” shouted Iferi.

The two elves ran after the dwarf as he went across the room and through another door.  Just as they arrived though, the door slammed shut in their faces accompanied by a loud click as the lock was engaged.

Horrified the two beat on the door until a gleeful harsh cry caused them to turn around.  Just inside the door from the depot stood a pair of goblins holding large whips in their small green hands.  In despair the elves realized that there was indeed a trap, but it wasn't for the goblins.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2010, 10:51:49 am »

Just wanted to say I'm enjoying this thread.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2010, 01:03:56 am »

Are There Trees in Heaven?

Mandy giggled to herself as she heard the shocked and dismayed cries of the elves from the other side of the door she had just locked.  She wished she could see the looks on their faces but with her luck, all she would have to do is peek over the wall once and a goblin crossbow bolt would fly straight up her nose.  Instead she settled for running around to the weaving loom and listening in to the fun from there.

(Muhahaha! Mandy amuses herself by listening to the screams of elves.)

From the sound of it, the goblins were enjoying themselves quite a bit.  The elves, on the other hand, were not.  The few grunts of pain she heard from the goblins, over the high pitched sobs and screams of the elves, sounded as if they were probably inflicted by the animals the elves had brought with them.  The screams went on for quite a bit longer than Mandy was expecting.  The goblins must enjoy the screams of elves as much as dwarves did.  She wondered just what sorts of horrors the goblins were inflicting on them.

(Ah the joys of whips.)

(Right after this he caught a bolt with both pointy ears, too bad his head was between them.)

Eventually the screams came to a stop.  Mandy noted that the bleats and cries from the animals the elves had brought with them lasted a whole minute longer than the elves.  Really, goblins were not that bad now that Mandy thought about it.  Well aside from their barbaric practice of kidnapping dwarven children and raising them as if they were goblins. There was nothing worse than a grieving dwarf who's child had been stolen.  Rampaging parents had been known to bring down entire forts as a result of their tantrums. 

(Even goblins have to admire a job well done.)

Mandy sighed to herself.  As amusing as listening to the pointy ears getting beat to death had been, the goblins were still a problem and now as a result of trapping the elves, they were in the main farming room.  There was still the one farm in the area with the loom, but most of their seeds were in with the other farms.  She went to go see if she could find Akigagak who was probably their best bet for chasing off the goblins.  A search of the fort finally located the axedwarf sound asleep in the barracks.

(Oblivious, thy name is dwarf.)

Mandy wondered just how she had managed to sleep with all the screams and whatnot.  Mandy prodded Akigagak awake with the butt of her axe. 

“Wha? Goblins gone yet?”  muttered the groggy dwarf.
“No, that's why I'm here.  Someone needs to chase them off.”  said Mandy.

“Told you before, I won't go near them with just this axe.  You want em gone, you go play dodge the bolt yourself.” grumbled Akigagak.
“Well they are not going to drive themselves off and they are in the way for making more sunshine.” said Mandy.

“Didn't one of the new guys say he did traps?  Why not just have him put up a bunch?” grumbled Akigagak.

Mandy thought for a bit.  They did have enough food and drink to keep them for a while now and Lobsterbeard had made a number of mechanisms.  She was planning on using those for powering pumps but getting rid of the goblins was more important at the moment.  Goblins were fairly cowardly so all they really needed to do was kill a few off and the rest would run.  “Fine, but if we run low on sunshine, I'm cutting your ration first.” she finally said to  Akigagak.

“Zzz...” snored  Akigagak in response, having fallen asleep again.

Mandy just shook her head and went off in search of Lobsterbeard.  She had some goblins that needed extermination and he sounded like he was probably their best bet at doing that quickly.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2010, 12:27:28 am »

Diary of Ricka

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2010, 03:43:27 am »

Yea, I actually got the job I interviewed for :D so my next couple of weeks are going to be filled with moving to a new apt closer to where the job is.   So I'm not sure how much I'll be able to update over the next few weeks.  :-\

Hopefully once I do start working I will be able to update more regularly as I'll be back on a real schedule again.  ::)

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 26, 2010, 06:30:53 pm »

Cool. Good luck. and MORE UPDATES! YAY!
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2010, 02:29:09 pm »

Taking a break from moving stuff today so I figured it was a good opportunity to progress the fort some more.

Managed to kill off most of the fort again to the goblins just messing about seeing just how many the axedwarf could take before a crossbow bolt got her.  (I think I got to three dead and one mortally wounded before she collapsed due to the pain of having a bolt through her internals.)

Anyway, another save scumm later and I'm setting up the line of stone fall traps as well as a few spare walls and doors to make sure the goblins go into them.  About half way through this I get a message:  Some migrants have arrived.

This should be fun.
I'm gonna hold off assigning the new dwarves until I see how many, if any, survive.

PS. A request was made for the number of kills Akigagak had so here is the info:
One Notable Kill
Kujralder the kobold, d. 216
Thirty-Seven Other Kills
Twenty-two snailmen in Apexwhips
Fifteen slugmen in Apexwhips

For contrast, here is what Mandy has:
Eighteen Kills
Ten slugmen in Apexwhips
Eight snailmen in Apexwhips

The only other dwarves with any kills are Skuz, Gear and Brick with one kobold each.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2010, 06:36:52 pm »

Right, so about a dozen save scums later I have actually managed to not only survive the goblins, I've also saved ALL of the immigrants.  The only actual casulty was Talsam's pet donkey.  (Stupid thing refused to leave the entrance area so it got mulched.)

So, here is the list of the profession and gender of the new guys:
Miner (F)
Woodcutter (F)
Jeweler (F)
Craftsdwarf (M)
Miller (F)
Dyer (F)
Planter (M)
Wood Burner (F)
Peasant (1xM, 2xF)

That's 11 new dwarves. Eight females and three males.  I am starting to wonder about the gender bias. 

Here is the list of folks I have waiting on a dwarf:
Zifnab
Grendus
Ravenplucker
Gyron
Urist McOverlord

As before, I will do what I can to see about matching up the dwarves with the folks who want them.  However, unlike the last time, I now have twice as many new dwarves as folks waiting on one.  I'll probably grab one of the peasants to replace Argonnek so we don't have to wait on the wound to heal, but that still leaves five free dwarves. 

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16