Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16

Author Topic: Apexwhips - Convicts at large  (Read 23992 times)

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Apexwhips - Convicts at large
« Reply #165 on: February 02, 2010, 12:31:00 am »

That's quite an intimidating office  ;D Not very easy to walk around, and also forces the guest to endure the hideous light blue color that's the cabinet behind Mandy. Makes them distracted and easier to dupe :D

On one hand, Loki seems to be the victim of paranoia. On the other hand, it might be a real concern. <,<
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 02, 2010, 01:49:48 am »

Hey I wonder if that's Lobsterbeard in the mechanic shop there...  He's probably a little confused. He'd heard of this place it was just some little fort out in the wilds, a real nowhere armpit of a place. But here's this chief Mandy with her big important wrap-around desk, and talk of industries and whatnot floating around.

"I hope this place doesn't get too... official," he mutters.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 08, 2010, 06:04:16 pm »

Um, this is a really kick-ass tale, and I think I speak for all of us when I say we'd like to read more.

Everything going okay?

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2010, 06:25:14 pm »

Just busy.  Had a job interview last week and have been spending time writing my new MUD engine.
I'm near a good break point in that now though so I should be able to do another update soon. 
(Later today or Tomorrow)
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2010, 06:35:07 pm »

Sweet! Good luck with that interview, hope it went well.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2010, 11:23:07 pm »

Spring has sprung...
...and the grass has ris, where all last year's careless kobolds is.

Chief Mandy's Log - Granite 1, 2017:

Another year in this blasted fort.  I think if someone had told me what I'd be doing in three years, I'd have just jumped down the nearest mineshaft instead of organizing an escape. 

Aside from  Akigagak putting down another group of slugmen very little of note has happened.  We did get the new storage room dug out and most of the food has now been hauled underground along with our wood stores and cloth pile.  Lobsterbeard has made good progress with the stone mechanisms we will eventually need for making traps.  I have also started sketching out the plans for a large pumping operation so that we can have an entirely underground passage through the aquifer un-tainted by the light of the sun.

(The new storage area.)

Loki threw a new-years party but I didn't attend.  I just hid in my room with a barrel of sunshine.  I don't know how the others can be so happy at times.  One word from Athel and we are all back in the mines or worse.  I have already nearly escaped the hammerer once, I don't think I would be so lucky the second time.

Speaking of unhappy dwarves, one of the new dwarves, Talsam, has been repeatedly bothering me about the fact that we don't have any metal for him to work with yet.  I had some exploratory passages dug, but so far all we have found has been one small deposit of aventurienes.  We don't even have a gem cutter!  Though I shouldn't say that too loud.  Armok only knows that Athel is telling an entire tribe of gem cutters about the fort.

Just thinking about Athel makes me want to bury my axe in some thing's skull. I also had some rope reed ropes made and had the bear moved into my office.  I'd like to see Athel stay calm and smug with that breat-

Mandy looked up at the sound of her office door being opened.  “What?” she asked with an irritated tone as she quickly closed her logbook.

A head popped around the edge of the door and stared straight at her with intense eyes.  “They are ready!” Jarvous said with obvious glee.

Mandy asked, “What are?” feeling rather glad that she had her large desk between her and the bone carver.

“I watched and waited and they are finally free. Free from the flesh.” continued Jarvous.
Wondering if it would be undignified to crawl under her desk Mandy stared at the crazed dwarf. 
“The bones!” he said.

“Oh right you wanted the kobold bones.” Mandy said, finally realizing what Jarvous was going on about. “Well I think Athel said she wanted some toys  , so why don't you carve some nice kobold bone toys?”

Jarvous nodded and his head disappeared.  Mandy waited a few moments and then cautiously got up and closed the door.  She tried not to think of what sorts of toys the bone carver was going to come up with.  She patted her bear on the head and went back to her desk to finish the entry she had been working on before she was interrupted.

I'd like to see Athel stay calm and smug with that breathing down her neck.  I'd also like to see Athel turn a profit from whatever Jarvous carves.

Mandy closed the log again and sighing, picked up a stack of papers.  She had also recently taken to trying to count all the various things they now had in the fort.  It was tedious work but a more accurate count was going to be needed if she was going to keep track of running this place.  She staved off  boredom  by periodically imagining giving Athel's bones over to Jarvous. 

(The kobold bones finally rot free.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 11:24:59 pm by The_Fool76 »

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2010, 11:34:03 pm »

The wagon hasn't been demolished yet? Look at me hanging out on it in that last picture.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2010, 12:48:34 am »

Yay update!
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 09, 2010, 12:58:26 am »

I hope I'm not being too bold in assuming we may write journals.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 11, 2010, 12:00:03 am »

I hope I'm not being too bold in assuming we may write journals.

Not at all. Granted I do reserve the right to override people if they start putting in stuff like "And then my dwarf woos Mandy and they run off to have little bearded babies."  ;)

But if you want to talk about what your dwarf feels and thinks, go right ahead.  I'll even do what I can to keep their personalities consistent with that in what I write. 

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 11, 2010, 12:36:16 am »

I hope I'm not dooming my hopefully-soon-to-arrive dwarf by giving a pre-arrival journal. What say you?

Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 11, 2010, 05:07:07 am »

Spoiler: Journal of Talsam (click to show/hide)
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 11, 2010, 05:41:19 pm »

Diary of Ricka
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:38:56 pm by rickvoid »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 11, 2010, 06:33:41 pm »

Journal of Dermonster
Day Three
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:17:10 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2010, 03:40:53 pm »

So, I got my first goblin ambush...
Had a few marksgoblins in it but I figured eh, just make sure all the outer doors but the one next to the wagon (where our axedwarf hangs out ) are locked and let her chop em up as they come in.

Then this happened:

As for why that happened...

Right before the goblins opened the door Akigagak decided she needed a nap and left her post.

This was followed by the goblins running into the fort whereupon I drafted everyone and had Mandy lead the charge.  The goblins had made their way through half the dwarves (including Mandy) when Akigagak finally decides her beauty sleep is over and kills off the lot of them.

With half the fort dead and the other half wounded, I decided it was time to save scum.
It's going much better this time. 
 ::)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16