Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarven science: Bridgeapaults  (Read 16541 times)

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven science: Bridgeapaults
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 10:42:33 pm »

this time I tested with a maximum length min width raising bridge and deposited all 128 rocks on it's very tip

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They went up 12 levels which means they can go out 11 tiles past the bridge.

At ~70 steps along they started coming down level by level.
The great game of Warlocks!

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2009, 12:00:52 pm »

84 animals on a 1X1 retractable bridge with a channel all around it to keep them from wandering

none of them went up at all and none remained in the center nine tiles, it is possible that the channel messed with things

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2009, 01:58:26 pm »

From what I've seen using bridges to defend against sieges, I believe that retracting bridges cannot throw creatures to a higher Z level.  Objects can fly up, but I have never seen a creature on a retracting bridge end up atop a one Z level high wall next to that bridge.  I haven't done any experiments specifically to test this, and don't have much experience with raising drawbridges to say if the same is true of them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2009, 02:39:23 pm »

The object behavior with the refractable bridge gave me an idea: A dwarven bouncing castle! I'll build a 10x10 ref. bridge to a room of same size with a single locked door/floodate, link the bridge to a lever that will be pulled repeatedly (perhaps an automated water/pressure plate system?). If it works the dorfs inside will then bounce around merrily. All the way to their deaths.

Must make sure that the room is made out of colorful stone to ensure an authentic bouncing castle experience. perhaps add a little flooding mechanism and I'm all set. If creatures indeed aren't flung up z-levels I might try to add a creature pit above so our our friends the orcs can enjoy it too.

I'll get to building as soon as I return to my DF computer tomorrow. Will then try to post some results regarding the damage done from being flung around (if there is any).

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2009, 05:31:53 pm »

Creature pit: retracting bridge that they are dumped onto and another above it to prevent fling-out before dumping the payload into the real pit...
Eh?
Eh!

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2009, 08:43:52 pm »

To test the raising drawbridge I left one natural roof tile 8 z levels above the tip of a length 10 bridge, put a meeting zone on it and told all dwarves to stay inside.

Dwarves and creatures behave no differently from one another when flung from a raising drawbridge, They flew like one of those explosions you would see in star wars. None of them went up any z levels and the reached up to 12 horizontal tiles away. Just like the retracting bridge nobody remained on their tile of origin, I believe that none of them landed on the center nine tiles of thier origin but the launch was too sloppy to tell for sure.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2009, 11:12:17 pm »

This must be what it feels like to be a scientist that tests car-crashes.
"Hmm, that $10,000 crash didn't look right. Lets do it again with the sports sedan."

Er, also, good work, though at the moment the results seem to be suggesting that the chances of successfully employing a flingifier are too low to make it a viable defensive mechanism. Perhaps if you constrained it with walls to try and "channel" it?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:13:49 pm by Hamster Man »
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2009, 12:32:08 pm »

OK, I got the bouncing castle up and running if anyone is intrested. Just tested it for the first time with a gobbo, appears the refracting bridge throwing stuff about only stuns them. Video is here

I will probably test with multiple creatures soon, to investigate if there is damage from colliding with one another.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 12:36:15 pm by Servu »

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2009, 12:40:10 pm »

I think that bridges only stuns creatures, I reloaded my save and the injuries I saw on the animals predated being flung by the bridge.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2009, 03:16:55 pm »

This would deffinitely go a long way to making my PoW camps more interesting.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2009, 10:38:31 am »

raising drawbridges cannot fling but can atom-smash water.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2009, 12:07:53 am »

I'm confused: both retracting and raising bridges will fling creatures to the sides, but which one will actually lift them up z-levels?

Also, how are you getting the stuff onto the bridges? I'd like to try this myself.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2009, 09:57:54 am »

I'm confused: both retracting and raising bridges will fling creatures to the sides, but which one will actually lift them up z-levels?
Both will.  Retracting bridges throw objects up to 3 z-levels up, raising drawbridges throw them up to 11 z-levels.
Also, how are you getting the stuff onto the bridges? I'd like to try this myself.
For my experiments I constructed floors over the bridges, then designated stockpiles on those floors.  When objects were placed in the stockpiles I designated them forbidden.  Once the stockpiles were full I cleared the stockpile designation (leaving the forbidden objects) then carefully deconstructed the floors, causing the contents of the stockpiles and the materials the floors were made from to drop onto the bridges.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

toiski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2009, 06:51:35 am »

Both will.  Retracting bridges throw objects up to 3 z-levels up, raising drawbridges throw them up to 11 z-levels.
Wasn't it so that both flung OBJECTS up, but CREATURES could not be flung up by either bridge?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2009, 09:57:33 am »

Wasn't it so that both flung OBJECTS up, but CREATURES could not be flung up by either bridge?
Sorry.  Neither type of bridge will throw creatures up, only to the sides.  Both types will throw objects upwards and to the sides.  Actually, further experimentation has revealed that the pattern of thrown objects is fully three-dimensional, with objects being flung downwards as well as upwards, expanding in a cube form until striking an obstacle or reaching a certain distance from the starting point.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5