Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarven science: Bridgeapaults  (Read 16518 times)

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven science: Bridgeapaults
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 10:06:12 pm »

I believe that, if the space on the bridge that its on has been channeled out, it will just fall. If its not channeled out, it'll get "tossed".
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2009, 12:09:00 am »

I believe that, if the space on the bridge that its on has been channeled out, it will just fall. If its not channeled out, it'll get "tossed".

Not true - the retracting bridges over my fort's "moat" (i.e. the magma pipe) fling goblins all over the place, even with a roof on top of it (they still get flung to the sides, just not up Z-levels).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 01:58:33 pm »

Le odd - whenever I use it, they fall (usually to their death).
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 08:24:28 pm »

Experiment #4:  Bridges over channeled versus non-channeled floors

For this experiment, both bridges from the previous experiment were deconstructed.  One of the 5X5 holes in the floor was covered over with floor.  The other was left over.

Retracting 5X5 bridges were built in both chambers, one over a 5X5 channeled hole, the other on constructed floor.  Both bridges were evenly covered with obsidian blocks and bones.  Several war dogs were also let into each enclosure.  Meeting zones were placed in the center of both bridges to encourage the dogs to gather there;  this was not completely successful at gathering the dogs on the bridges.

The lever was then pulled.

On both bridges, block, bones, and dogs were thrown up to three spaces.  There did not seem to be a significant difference in the degree to which objects were thrown by the bridges.  Of course, objects and creatures on the bridge over the channeled hole which were not thrown free of the hole immediately fell into the hole.

Conclusion:  The presence or absence of a channel under the bridge doesn't seem to significantly effect the flinging of objects on the bridge.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2009, 10:34:21 pm »

This is my kind of science  :D

No dilly dallying with speculation and hearsay.  Actual recorded proof and experimentation into dwarven physics.

Do you think it would be possible to create a locomotive system using a series of raisable drawbridges?

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 09:10:03 am »

*shakes fist!*  >:(

Actual experiments instead of speculation?! This is heresy!!
BURN HIM WITH MAGMA!!

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 12:05:21 pm »

this means we can make a dwarven elevator. have a 1x1 bridge surrounded by walls with one available floor space a level up. Then another retracting bridge that covers booth that floor and the open space leading down to the first bridge.
The great game of Warlocks!

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 12:38:37 pm »

Please do the same experiment (bridge over channeled vs. non-channeled floor) with raising bridges as well. I still can't believe the Dwarven Bridgeapult isn't a viable defensive option.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 12:48:59 pm »

Do bridges block movement on the way up?

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2009, 01:38:48 pm »

I placed 127 mudstones on a 1x1 retracting bridge and then retracted it.
Here is the number of mudstones on each tile
Code: [Select]
322*391

*=33

it looks like objects have a 25% chance of remaining on their tile of origin
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 01:45:00 pm by winner »

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 05:04:26 pm »

same setup as before this time with 128 rocks
this time I did an analysis across time as well

*=32

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 07:03:20 pm by winner »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 05:30:29 pm »

So some of the airborne blocks reached 3 Z-levels above the level of the bridge?  Interesting.  The rule that blocks travel at most 3 squares in the X and Y direction when flung by a retracting bridge also seems to be holding.  Raising drawbridges can throw blocks further than that in the X and Y direction;  I wonder if they can also throw blocks more than 3 levels up?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2009, 06:48:42 pm »

I am glad to see someone other than me performing and documenting actual experiments, especially in an area I haven't seen studied much. Very nice work, Sphalerite and winner.

I wonder if the rocks would travel farther away from the bridge if they weren't stopped by hitting the floor. It would be informative to repeat these experiments with a bridge built over a pit with another bridge built on each z-level to change its depth.

Also, those results with the airborne rocks remind me of some informal observations I made when single-stepping through the results of dropping invaders down a 10-level pit. If I recall correctly, the body parts ejected from splattering corpses went up to 3 z-levels high and travelled about 3 squares away. If you built a variable-depth pit, you could also use it to measure the injuries caused by falls of different heights, and the rules for how far a corpse has to fall in order to splatter and how the body parts fly when it does. People are always asking how many levels to dig to kill invaders, or reliably cripple hammerers without killing them. You'd just need a lot of kittens.

I hypothesize that there is one common "thrown objects" algorithm, and we'll see similar results for objects thrown by bridges, long falls, body parts cut off during combat, and creatures knocked into obstacles by hammers.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 07:00:37 pm »

I hypothesize that rocks will not fly any farther than 3 squares away from the bridge because when flingified, they flew out until they hit the limits of the cube and then fell straight down.

When I tried flinging rocks by raising a one tile drawbridge all the rocks vanished instead of being flung.  When I piled rocks on top of the raised drawbridge and lowered it all the rocks dropped the one story without spreading.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 07:22:21 pm by winner »

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 07:40:33 pm »

When I tried flinging rocks by raising a one tile drawbridge all the rocks vanished instead of being flung.
Yeah. People don't mention this much, but the "wall" tiles of a drawbridge crush things when the bridge raises just as surely as the other tiles crush things when the bridge lowers.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5