Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Try after you buy!  (Read 5292 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Try after you buy!
« on: September 18, 2009, 08:39:26 pm »

Is anyone else feeling miffed about the new trend of releasing playable demos of games exclusively for those who've preordered it?

It's like a big fat warning sign to me that they aren't sure enough of their game to let people play it before deciding to give their money, and it completely defeats the purpose of a demo at all.  Obviously this is tied to the increasingly popular trend of selling games with bullshit hype rather than any actual quality within the actual product, but it really doesn't make much sense to me at all, and that's what really bugs me.  It seems completely unreasonable.  If people have already pre-ordered the game they've already pretty much decided they want it based on nothing but meaningless hype.  Giving them (and only them) a demo that actually lets them try the game and possibly decide that they actually don't like it after all is about the stupidest thing you can do.  Especially when there are those who don't want to buy games without trying them first who haven't pre-ordered yet but would likely do so if they enjoyed the actual sample of real gameplay they got from the demo.

Then again, who am I to talk?  I'm not a marketting exec, and I should no better by now than to attempt to apply such totally out of place things as logic or even common sense to something like getting hordes of mindless consumers to give you their money.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Try after you buy!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 09:14:38 pm »

I'm sick of all these stupid new Pre-order rewards, especially the ones Gamestop has secured that give you content no one else can.

If you pre-ordered Saint's Row 2 from them, you got a UFO, I mean.....wtf.

And not getting a demo unless you preorder? Ughh. Bad practice.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 09:56:47 pm »

I'm sick of all these stupid new Pre-order rewards, especially the ones Gamestop has secured that give you content no one else can.

If you pre-ordered Saint's Row 2 from them, you got a UFO, I mean.....wtf.

And not getting a demo unless you preorder? Ughh. Bad practice.

I also got a UFO by looking up the unlock code on a cheat codes website.  I'm just talking about demos though.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:59:29 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 11:10:26 pm »

I have not yet seen this trend in action. I have seen demos released earlier for pre-orders and beta/alphas for preorderers, but never demos.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 11:35:27 pm »

Um, you just contradicted yourself.  What are you trying to say?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 12:57:58 am »

Um, you just contradicted yourself.  What are you trying to say?

Yah I just re-read that and it made no sense

I meant the only time I've seen this is when they release betas/alphas which most companies don't release ever, for people who preorder, or release the demo a few days/weeks earlier before releasing to everyone else. do you have any examples?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 02:48:23 am »

Well the early release of the demo is what I mean.  L4D and Brutal Legend did this.  For Brutal Legend they seemed to be advertising the fact that the demo would be out on the 17th without any indication that it was for pre-orderers only.  It just seems counter productive, but like I said, I shouldn't expect PR stuff to make sense.  Maybe people really will pre-order a game they'd rather play a demo of first just to get early access to the demo.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 02:50:26 am »

People who make video games have gotten stupid. Or realized their target audience is stupid.

What else is new?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 03:45:43 am »

People who make video games have gotten stupid. Or realized their target audience is stupid.

What else is new?

Its both ways.  But, the latter's stupid level has grown at a bigger rate.

The former, people who have little connection to gaming other then making the pockets jingle, pull the strings (Disclaimer: Not the same in every case.)
The latter, the bigger the fanbase... the stupider things get.  Humans don't work like the robots from Mass Effect.  More humans = more stupid as a whole.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 04:29:34 am »

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 05:26:11 am »

I dont get this cynicism at all.

Why does Brain Age sell well? Why does Phonix Wright sell well? Why was there ever an adventure genre? Why is it morphing into an interactive novel genre? (Ala Indigo prophecies)

Why are some of the all time acclaim games are the one that make you think, that offer novel challenges.

Why does every game need to be at such a grandiose height?

In all media, there are bubble gum trash, and master pieces. You cant say the media is going  down hill simply because there is bubble gum that does sell. Its absurd.

Just like with movies, tv shows, animation, and novels, there will a stream of mediocre stuff, that no one remembers that keep it going, keep it healthy to allow gems to crafted.

Thats it, most video games are mediocre. Most TV is mediocre, most novels are mediocre, most movies are mediocre. That just fine.

As for this nonsense that marketing ploys are retarded, is ironically retarded in of itself. Selling games, is incredibly cut throat. With long dev. times, increase cost, they need to get sales ASAP, and what help attract sales are gimmicks, stupid thing that make it look shiny.

Gamestop has a UFO special, because despite being speciality store, they are dwarfed by other retailers in video games and console sales. Much like how McDee dwarfs KFC in chicken sales.

Its not stupid, its marketing. They are trying to lure in customers to purchase from them.

They give demo to pre-orders so they have something in there hands for their money, just a little bit earlier. Its gimmick, and a small perk.  And to my knowledge, most pre-orders can be rescinded. Giving out a demo to them before anyone else is more dangerous. It allows for viral advertisement to saturate it with negative opinions before it hits the general public, prevents demo plays, lowering chances of game purchase.

When ever a game release a demo, its a good thing. Just like its a good thin, when movies, novels, so forth give advance screenings to critics.

When they do not have a demo, is when you should be worried, and its none sense to be so upset over how the demo is package.

Something I do think is bull shit, are micro transactions. Buying that fucking scarf for your fps, is retarded. That just a hand on the tit of consumers milking it for every cent they.

Also, why are modern games more insipid then those in the past? In terms of gameplay and graphics, you cannot get any simpler then pong, or breakout.

Everyone has found memories of Punch-out, but its extremely shallow in almost every regard. Where the dermal bruising being rendered in real time? Where the ability to develop my own play style?

I also dont understand about games getting popular, and then dumber. Armed Core series, has a general urge to get more convoluted (which is fucking awesome!), Skate franchise has grown very popular, and yet its still require patience and skill to play well. Guitar Hero is stupidly popular, but they're adding game play features. Final Fantasy has no rhythmic flow with its difficulty, but still has male cos-players of female characters (as many of use would like to treat them like soap makers). Madden series rotate, and add as many game features as they nerf or remove. Jrpgs are still as complicated.

Mario has continue to be truly challenging, even though it lost some of this with its latest iteration, it still show immensely popular game, not being dumb down, as is zelda and metriod.

I know, that a similar list can be made to show popular games that became safe. That doesn't defeat my counter-point, by simply showing that there are popular games that retain similar level of complication, or grow more so defeat the generalization of gaming and popularity.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 05:59:31 am »

I dont get this cynicism at all.

Why does Brain Age sell well? Why does Phonix Wright sell well? Why was there ever an adventure genre? Why is it morphing into an interactive novel genre? (Ala Indigo prophecies)

Why are some of the all time acclaim games are the one that make you think, that offer novel challenges.

Why does every game need to be at such a grandiose height?

In all media, there are bubble gum trash, and master pieces. You cant say the media is going  down hill simply because there is bubble gum that does sell. Its absurd.

Just like with movies, tv shows, animation, and novels, there will a stream of mediocre stuff, that no one remembers that keep it going, keep it healthy to allow gems to crafted.

Thats it, most video games are mediocre. Most TV is mediocre, most novels are mediocre, most movies are mediocre. That just fine.

As for this nonsense that marketing ploys are retarded, is ironically retarded in of itself. Selling games, is incredibly cut throat. With long dev. times, increase cost, they need to get sales ASAP, and what help attract sales are gimmicks, stupid thing that make it look shiny.

Gamestop has a UFO special, because despite being speciality store, they are dwarfed by other retailers in video games and console sales. Much like how McDee dwarfs KFC in chicken sales.

Its not stupid, its marketing. They are trying to lure in customers to purchase from them.

They give demo to pre-orders so they have something in there hands for their money, just a little bit earlier. Its gimmick, and a small perk.  And to my knowledge, most pre-orders can be rescinded. Giving out a demo to them before anyone else is more dangerous. It allows for viral advertisement to saturate it with negative opinions before it hits the general public, prevents demo plays, lowering chances of game purchase.

When ever a game release a demo, its a good thing. Just like its a good thin, when movies, novels, so forth give advance screenings to critics.

When they do not have a demo, is when you should be worried, and its none sense to be so upset over how the demo is package.

Something I do think is bull shit, are micro transactions. Buying that fucking scarf for your fps, is retarded. That just a hand on the tit of consumers milking it for every cent they.

Also, why are modern games more insipid then those in the past? In terms of gameplay and graphics, you cannot get any simpler then pong, or breakout.

Everyone has found memories of Punch-out, but its extremely shallow in almost every regard. Where the dermal bruising being rendered in real time? Where the ability to develop my own play style?

I also dont understand about games getting popular, and then dumber. Armed Core series, has a general urge to get more convoluted (which is fucking awesome!), Skate franchise has grown very popular, and yet its still require patience and skill to play well. Guitar Hero is stupidly popular, but they're adding game play features. Final Fantasy has no rhythmic flow with its difficulty, but still has male cos-players of female characters (as many of use would like to treat them like soap makers). Madden series rotate, and add as many game features as they nerf or remove. Jrpgs are still as complicated.

Mario has continue to be truly challenging, even though it lost some of this with its latest iteration, it still show immensely popular game, not being dumb down, as is zelda and metriod.

I know, that a similar list can be made to show popular games that became safe. That doesn't defeat my counter-point, by simply showing that there are popular games that retain similar level of complication, or grow more so defeat the generalization of gaming and popularity.

Wow, that was some rant.  Most of what you're saying has nothing to do with the thread or anything mentioned in it and that the rest completely missed the point.

You really don't seem to know what you're saying, nevermind anyone else.  This is basically what I was saying in my first post.  It's marketing, and it seems like stupid marketing.  They give the demo to pre-orderers only, people who have already decided to buy it, thus giving them a chance to try it out and get second thoughts.  The people whose minds they actually want to change don't get anything new, so they just keep thinking whatever they were before.  Unless, like I said, they've actually determined that people will pre-order a game just for the chance to play the demo early. 

Brain Age makes you good at arithmetic and counting and pattern recognition.  It does not in any way encourage creative or critical thinking.  I haven't played Phoenix Wright so that doesn't really mean anything to me.  There was ever an adventure genre because computer gamers used to all be nerds.  They've become interactive movies because that way they can replace puzzles with QTEs.  And really, like I said, none of that has anything to do with this thread.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 06:02:52 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Manchild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 07:20:31 am »

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

grr.... you know those moments when you have heard a quote before, but because you cant think of where its from, you get angry?

yeah, you just gave me that.... time to google the quote....

damn i know its from somewhere......

as for demos released for pre-orders only, a few examples out of hundreds of games from many types of systems doesnt count towards a trend. thats like saying that because one guy is stupid that all people from his country are stupid as well.

not all preorder games release demos for their game. I notice tho that MANY game companies reward you with a demo for games that arent out yet on games that you preordered before and are now out....

for example if you POd a game of Sonic the Hedgehog you would get a demo of Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

(yes its a bad example for some random idiot could mistake what im saying but for the more... educated people who understand, that was just an example that i used because i couldnt remember what game i got that had a code to DL the Uncharted 2 demo....so i couldnt use that as an example.......lol...)
There are two types of Christians:
Those that believe in God,

And those that suffer from retardation.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 06:21:55 pm »

grr.... you know those moments when you have heard a quote before, but because you cant think of where its from, you get angry?...
I doubt you'll be able to Google it. It's either misquoted (I'm guessing typed from memory, and this is also where my bet goes) or just stupid (I'm guessing not?). People in the 1500s knew perfectly well that Earth war round, Indeed by 1492 Columbus (who wasn't an earth sciences geek) not only knew the earth was round, but actually secured funding from civil authorities (and you know how conservative those always are) to sail to India based off this knowledge. The Earth was however the center of the universe in 1500s. And it was believed flat in the 500s (mostly because there were very few good scientific institution left by that time, and it would be centuries until new ones would be formed).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 06:31:30 pm »

The quote is from Men in Black.  I don't care enough to know how exact it is, though.
Pages: [1] 2 3