Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warbands for Champions  (Read 966 times)

Tostitos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Warbands for Champions
« on: June 13, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

I like that Champions will not serve under anyone, but it would be nice if they could be grouped together without any leader, in a special warband function. It could restricted to Champions only. Perhaps the warband as a whole (not the individual units) could gain experience and level up, giving them a higher chance of martial trances or beserk rages.

When you have a dozen marksmen training non-stop, you end up with quite a few champions that must be controlled individually. This can be problematic.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: Warbands for Champions
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 03:22:00 pm »

personally i never understood that mechanic.

Oh so your so leet now you can no longer fight as part of a group? what? o_O

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 04:37:00 pm »

Tamren, I take it you've never seen any Dolph Lungdren movies other than Rocky 4? How about Steven Segal? (minus Executive Decision)

Jean Claude Van Dam?...

If you answered no to all these questions, not only is your life incomplete but we may have to charge you with lack of national pride. If you're not from the US, we don't care, for such a grevious offense we'll extradite.

Tostitos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 04:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>personally i never understood that mechanic.

Oh so your so leet now you can no longer fight as part of a group? what? o_O</STRONG>

They can still lead groups, but when you only have enough normal guys for one or two groups, and you have six or seven champions, it can be a pain to coordinate battles.

Maybe it's balanced to only have one champion or two when the fortress is still small, but over time if you don't expand your military and your troops train regularly, you'll have a disproportionate ratio of champs to regular troops.

Also, it's not fun to have a champion marksdwarf linked to lower level troops, because when you set downtime for them to spar, he'll go through all of your bone bolts in around 40 seconds.

If I had 50 normal soldiers, then, say, ten or so champs wouldn't be a problem at all. The problem is that my small fort has a champion and three guys who are almost champions, leaving two guys who are almost heroes. I'll have to micromanage most of my engagements.

Tostitos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 02:57:00 am »

Well, apparently the wiki was incorrect, I was able to assign one champion under my other champion.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 06:25:00 am »

5 champion marksdwarves+entirely masterpiece plate adamantium+masterpiece adamantium arrows...

Too bad it doesn't work when facing goblin arrows.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 12:45:00 pm »

Still, trained soldiers are not rambo, leave that for adventurers.

I think no matter what rank or skill you are you should respect the chain of command that WE the player set down.

Lack of control is really annoying, when i make squads of recruits all is well and good until one of them gets promoted, then HE becomes squad leader by default and my careful planning goes to hell   :(

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Heliopios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 03:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>Still, trained soldiers are not rambo, leave that for adventurers.</STRONG>

The best of soliders that arent legendary are about as useful as a child against an enemy.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 08:34:00 pm »

lol true, we really need to crack the whip here

No damn booze breaks whily you guard the main gate!