Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Olympics I: Goblinball  (Read 1756 times)

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Dwarven Olympics I: Goblinball
« on: September 18, 2009, 03:38:02 pm »

I am not quite sure if something like this exists... Actually, I think it might but I have never seen it before.

The idea is finding the strongest of Dwarves. You need:
x+1 Dwarves (One for every hammer + 1 leverpuller)
x Hammers
x caged Goblins
1 lever

The thing works as follows:
|                ___________________________
|                 H  c
|                 H  c
|                 H  c
|
|  L

Legend:H = stationed Dwarf + Hammer
           c = Cage + Goblin
           L = lever connected to every single cage

Once the lever is pulled all Goblins are released at the same time, causing the Dwarves to hammer them. The Goblins are launched off down the corridors and stop at some point. The Dwarf who launches his goblin the farthest wins, naturally. You can also add marks according to your taste, for example: 10 tiles of normal passageways, then 5 tiles of spiked ground, followed by five tiles of magma, to reward those who can actually knock the goblins that far.

Opinions/criticism/suggestions, anyone?

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
Re: Dwarven Olympics I: Goblinball
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 03:40:19 pm »

Hee, I like the idea. The winner gets an engraved room.

Of course, they might end up sending the goblin into the wall instead of tunnel by accident, but I guess that's part of the hazards of sports.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 03:41:54 pm »

Hee, I like the idea. The winner gets an engraved room.

Of course, they might end up sending the goblin into the wall instead of tunnel by accident, but I guess that's part of the hazards of sports.

Hey, if they can't send a Goblin flying in a straight line they don't deserve to win.

hothead098

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 03:44:46 pm »

I would make the passages wider do decrease the chance of wall explosion, but otherwise this sounds like a great idea.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 03:50:00 pm »

I would make the passages wider do decrease the chance of wall explosion, but otherwise this sounds like a great idea.
Wouldn't that make things too easy?

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 05:58:28 pm »

An alternate sport would be to make Axedwarves, and count the number of pieces left behind after chopping the goblin up.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 06:13:56 pm »

That sounds interesting. What about as a similar idea, a bridgeapult game that works sorta like pachinko machines?

Seeing as bridgeapulting is rather random in it's accuracy, have various scoring zones setup.

It may end up looking like Mushroom Kingdom, but it would be interesting.

For added effect, the higher scoring zones can have spikes for the winner to trigger.

Or have a bridgeapult setup above a bottomless it and see how deep without reaching the bottom you can score. Bonus points for crushing a GCS or any other creature in the pit.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 06:32:36 pm »

how about the gauntlet of arrows, capture a ton of marksgoblin, release them in a long corridor with a trench running through the middle, and send heavily armored dwarves down the center, the one with the least arrows stuck in him wins, also works with cats and nobles!!
Nom nom nom

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 07:06:46 pm »

We can always make a gauntlet of all sorts of fun stuff, and make a game of Dwarven Gladiators.

Have a marksdwarf shooting at a goblin marksman as he hides behind all sorts of bunkers. The gobbo of course has bone bolts, whereas the dorf has steel.

Or have a Joust with a magma pit. Open the cage, and wrestle each other off the 2x1 pillar. A bridge is the only access point.

We can come up with all sorts of interesting stuff.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 07:41:09 pm »

Make sure that hallway is long enough:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 08:11:33 pm »

That... can't be real.

Well, Armok has a challenger now.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 09:18:21 pm »

That... can't be real.

It's real. Morul isn't your typical dwarf.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 09:32:38 pm »

You can do that sort of stuff in adventurer mode too, I remember when I was fighting some wolves and sent one flying with my hammer, and decided to check how far it had gone, turned out his body stopped at about 3~4 screens far from the original position, and only stopped because there was a tree in the way, it also exploded on impact. This also happens with (of course) macemen and legendary wrestlers, sometimes they'll just pull a deadly falcon punch and send a gobbo flying into the horizon.

Actualy I think it can happen with any kind of weapon, blunt damage just does it considerably better. I remember I had a single legendary axedwarf defend my fortress's entrance from 20 goblin siege. After the carnage, i looked around for equipment on the various body parts around, and one of the goblins was missing its lower body, and I just cound't find it, but later I looked near the foot of the mountain, about 1 screen and a half away from my entrance (which is on the hillside, near the top), and found the damn lower body, still fresh with blood and armor on.

I felt so proud that I put a golden statue on his now fully engraved room :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:43:21 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 09:38:27 pm »

That... can't be real.

Eventually some dwarf will break that record, if only because they have a longer hallway. Until then, Morul holds the record for the gob-put (well, orc-put, but since orcs are heavier than goblins anyways it's no big deal).

After I get finished with my current project (cast obsidian tower with dark dwarves), I plan to do goblin-baseball, where hammerdwarves decked out in obscenely heavy armor try to smash goblins far enough away that they can reach a refuse stockpile before a hauler can beat him there with the corpse. The hard part will be training the hammerdwarves up to legendary without letting them skill up in Armor User, but once that's over it should be a piece of cake.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 09:51:30 pm »

That... can't be real.

Eventually some dwarf will break that record, if only because they have a longer hallway. Until then, Morul holds the record for the gob-put (well, orc-put, but since orcs are heavier than goblins anyways it's no big deal).

After I get finished with my current project (cast obsidian tower with dark dwarves), I plan to do goblin-baseball, where hammerdwarves decked out in obscenely heavy armor try to smash goblins far enough away that they can reach a refuse stockpile before a hauler can beat him there with the corpse. The hard part will be training the hammerdwarves up to legendary without letting them skill up in Armor User, but once that's over it should be a piece of cake.

thats not to hard just tell him his armor is clothes and shield is none (well that shield user but still) i use to forget to change these and it had fun results during orc sieges (Dig deeper)
Back to Mafia with me!
Pages: [1] 2