Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378070 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2009, 06:49:22 pm »

Okay, I've got a few sketches of bearded faces at angles.  I still have some homework, so I may or may not get the pictures up for criticism tonight.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2009, 12:59:52 am »

Does anyone know if there are glowing fungi/plants in the DF universe?

If not, they should be
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2009, 05:33:53 pm »

Hawkfrost: Thanks a ton!

Deon:  Thanks.  Yeah, that's probably a weakness on my part, radically changing the look of a piece as I work.  Dunno.

Armok:  Thanks!  Uh, I guess I haven't drawn the puddles of mysterious liquid yet, if that's what you mean...   :P

Virex:  Thanks v much.  Doubt WotC would want me; they've got sooo many amazing artists.

Spreggo:  That's where artist license comes in!   ;D  (anyway, how else can dwarves see in their dark tunnels?)

Here's another wip; of a goblin this time (for like the 90th time; I lurve goblins)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You have struck Microcline!

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2009, 05:55:12 pm »

Here's another wip; of a goblin this time (for like the 90th time; I lurve goblins)

Holy crap! I think that's far enough in advance of my experience that I can't say anything helpful about it. It looks almost like it's done in acyrlic. Great job :D

Now I kind of feel like I half-ass'd mine:

Definitely I'm going to practice more. I should probably be pushing myself to do something with more complexity.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2009, 07:20:23 pm »

Okay, here are those sketches I did yesterday, plus a sketh of a ninja head that I did today:
On my screen they look bigger than they really are, so if they look much bigger than, oh, inch or an inch and a half, it's just your computer screen.

What I was really trying to practice here was drawing faces from side angles.  I just drew one face and modeled the angled faces after it, so that there'd be some common details to make it easier critique.  Also, we can just pretend that these dwarves were from a civilization known as "Shortbeards."
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2009, 09:18:32 pm »

I looked at the pic before reading the description, and the ninja definitely looks like a doctor. Other than that, gewd.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

omgdandelions

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2009, 12:13:50 am »

Is this worthy? I sketched it up in a few minutes at work.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 02:02:22 am by omgdandelions »

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2009, 12:58:47 am »

damn, balathastrius, nice goblin!

does he wear the mask to cover up that he looks like he's been hit with a shovel?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 05:18:23 pm by Fault »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2009, 02:43:24 am »

Is this worthy? I sketched it up in a few minutes at work.

That's more than worthy. I like the detail on the scale mail.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2009, 10:13:25 am »

A picture of a throne room. I decided to invert the colours because it brought the engravings into better relief. I'm also aware that I suck at perspective. I hope I am likewise worthy.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2009, 12:44:03 pm »

Legolord: It looks like you have all the features in the right spots (excepting the ninja's ear, which looks too high and maybe a little to far forward). The hard line on the front side of the ear makes it look like its not really attached to the skull. Usually it would be open and attached to the skin there:

Besides that, the next step is to sculpt the shape of the head to make it a little more life-like. "Drawing the Head and Hands" By Andrew Loomis has a lot of great materials for learning to lay out features and sculpt them proficiently. That's part of the Loomis.rar that is up in the OP, under books.

omgdandelions: You seem to have a pretty good sense of proportion. Keep it up!

Maggarg - That reminds me Assyrian engraving:

Balathustrius: I'm going to try out the different brush settings today, once I drink my customary pot of coffee.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:52:26 pm by Spreggo »

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2009, 04:18:24 pm »

Spreggo:  Thanks v much.  Love the frog demon.

Fault:  Maybe he's very handsome by goblin standards!  Thanks.   ;D

Speaking of PS brush settings, I thought I'd upload the custom brushes I use.  Some of them I made, some I stole or built on tutorials from others, but there's some good ones in the set, if anyone wants to try them. 

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=15PY2KX3

(About 7 megs in an ABR file; just double-click it to load them into PS.) 

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2009, 04:21:36 pm »

Does anyone know if there are glowing fungi/plants in the DF universe?

Not in vanilla DF, but I know I have one in my Civilization Forge mod (GlowCaps, used to make an expensive and shining alcohol). Other mods may have some as well.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2009, 05:16:24 pm »

Okay tried the alternative brush settings and got this:

Please critique the hell out of it.

Balathustrius: Thanks for uploading those! I'll have to check them out, after I go procure some food, however...

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2009, 05:24:18 pm »

Okay tried the alternative brush settings and got this:

That's well done, but I think you're using too much black.  Especially around the underside of the nose and the lips; remember that colors generally get more saturated as they get darker, so, instead of black, you'd have a very deep, fairly low-value red. 

For example, check out this portrait by Bouguereau:  http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/database/image.asp?id=1092

If you run the color-picker over it, there's not a bit of black anywhere in the picture.  And notice how fleshy the ears, lips, and nose look, with all that deep red in the shadows.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 296