Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379246 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4335 on: September 28, 2013, 09:25:29 am »

First one looks like kinda like the dude from Braid.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: September 28, 2013, 10:43:50 pm »

You're spot on with the nature of the project. I'll add additional cloud density and some actual dark areas. It's fine if most to all of the lava is occluded, really. It was fun to make, either way. Any tips on how to make the nodularity happen? If not, I'll continue to mess around, and may wind up just using references as textures. Where'd you get that first reference from, by the way? I've been having a really hard time finding photos from that steep an angle.

And yes, wisps around the continents are something I hope to make happen. I'll see how I can make that happen when I get there. Steam walls will be interesting to try and make happen - I'm not sure how I'd make it clear from above what you're looking at. All part of the fun, I suppose.

I've just remembered I have found a planet-making tutorial as well.

Thanks for the response!
Another thing you may want to look into is the way CG & video games do procedural graphics: fractal noise functions [perlin noise and such; stuff with spatial coherence]. I'm not sure what sort of noise functions any given image editor has, but most good ones probably have something buried in there. For example, this scene is entirely generated with noise, with a relatively small shader effect: https://www.shadertoy.com/view/MdfGRX

Fractal noise is really powerful if used well.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:45:59 pm by alway »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: October 07, 2013, 05:23:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 06:04:37 pm by Soadreqm »

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #4338 on: December 28, 2013, 11:27:44 am »

I just realized your lines kinda remind me of Boxdog. Ever done comics?

Also, it's been pretty quiet around here for a while... Has really no one been doing artings lately?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: December 28, 2013, 06:33:14 pm »

I was posting relatively frequently this summer, but school has really sucked up a lot of time. In addition, a lot of posters who populated this thread seemed to have moved on from it. Unfortunately that means more irregular posters are less likely to post.

I'll gladly get back to it in my free time though.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: January 06, 2014, 06:37:26 pm »

Ever done comics?
Haha, no. I don't have that kind of commitment. :(

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: January 13, 2014, 03:10:44 pm »

Double posting for THE FINE ARTS.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: January 25, 2014, 11:34:42 am »

I have recently become interested in maybe drawing some worldbuilding maps after participating in a P&P game.
So, I went and followed a few tutorials on how to make a map look better, this test is the result. I know it's not much, but it's the first thing of drawn on my tablet in months.

... Hopefully this will precede an actual regional map of a few kingdoms.

EDIT: in hindsight, I should probably have used LESS colour in conjunction with parchment.

EDIT2: Also I should say, very nice Soadreqm! Maybe make some of those colors a little more vibrant/violent though.

EDIT3:
... also: A test of drawing/illustrating a coastline.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:27:24 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: January 25, 2014, 03:07:12 pm »

So, textures be giving me problems. Wound up making this:

I'm wondering if there are any efficient ways of making cloth textures that are less obviously repetitious. Also, I got to this point and realized that all the bump mapping I did to give the impression of lower layers of cloth was offset kind of obviously from where it should've been, but it was a pain to make happen. Any strategies more clever than blurring lower layers and using that as a bump map in GIMP? It seems like something Photoshop ought to be able to make happen with layer styles, but I haven't figured that trick out yet.

@Urist

That ain't half bad. I like the style of it, anyway - got a sense of being drawn in-character, if you see what I mean.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: January 25, 2014, 05:38:33 pm »

@Baugs: The cloth texture is fine, beautiful actually as far as GIMP/Photoshop cloth goes. Cloth is SUPPOSED to look repetitious, I see nothing strange in your cloth. Unfortunately, as far bump-mapping goes I can't help you. You could just slightly shift the parts of the top layer your want to look... however, and just shade it manually.

Anyways, an update: Here is the beginning of a map, it's still missing a few features (rivers mostly) and it's very obviously plain, but next up on the list is to start adding in the kingdoms and such.

EDITBECAUSEIDONTWANNADOUBLEPOST:

Here's the first iteration of the semi-completed map:

This is essentially how it appears in my mind, forgone of fancy illustrative elements. (I know the text is a bit small, but the actual size of the image is larger than what is displayed)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 09:28:30 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: January 26, 2014, 12:55:30 am »

I like. Aside from the western edge of the forest, which I expect is just unfinished right now (and probably not part of the relevant setting), most I'd suggest is more fiddly details. Tributaries for the river, that sort of thing. Which, y'know, might be more than the style might want. Come to think of it, the river could taper a little more, to be narrower at the mountains, but I'm not 100% sure. The mountains are just excellent.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: January 26, 2014, 05:11:24 am »

I'd say the river looks kinda wierd too. It could taper and be wigglier, right now it looks more like some sort of big ass road. Other than that, it's pretty damn good so far.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: January 26, 2014, 11:23:22 am »

Any ideas on how to make the river curvier?

What I did was just draw one side and then copy it and use it as the other side too. Unfortunately if I made it really curvy (using like paths or something) the lines would cross if I did that.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: January 26, 2014, 12:41:12 pm »

Are you using GIMP? I don't know much about Photoshop's path capabilities, but I know that GIMP's Rotate, Scale, Shear, Perspective, and Flip tools all work on Paths, which might be helpful in deforming a cloned path evenly. You might also consider just drawing a single path, then stroking it with a brush with a Size dynamic. I haven't actually done this one, however, at least in GIMP. The oft-linked Saderan tutorial has instructions for that under the Rivers section, which is a subsection of Mountains. That one's for Photoshop, however, and I don't know what the equivalent GIMP instructions are off the top of my head. Most of that tutorial doesn't gel with your style, but I think the river might work well.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: January 26, 2014, 01:17:55 pm »

Ah, an excellent Idea! That isn't too hard to do in GIMP anyhow!

... and ya, I'm using GIMP. I used to have photoshop elements, but it never clicked with me.
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 296