Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379261 times)

nightcrafter27

• Bay Watcher
  • Extrapolator Extrodinator
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4290 on: August 09, 2013, 10:45:01 pm »

Spoiler: Big angry blue star! (click to show/hide)

I've tried incorporating a star of this style in a space scene as a distant star, but that level of detail for a far away object feels wrong and looks like it was badly photoshopped in. I haven't been able to make any bright, distant stars (like the ones on the left and right edges here) that I'm happy with. Since I was mostly focused on making the planet, everything else got a little overlooked. And the starry background on the blue star was filler.

FAKEEDIT: I think I just figured out a way. I'll use it in my next work.

As for the nebulas, I haven't found a method that really works yet. I've had some experience with making them in Paint.NET:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
However, I feel like the overall quality of the elements in those images in a few steps below what I'm aiming for with the new planet in Red Sun Rising. If I were to incorporate nebulas by those methods, the difference would throw off the whole scene. Gimp seems to have some shortcomings that make following those tutorials...difficult, but I have been playing around with it. I'm sure I'll stumble on something that clicks soon.

(Maybe I should also light my planets from somewhere other than the top left :P)

I am also just breaking in Gimp after working with Paint.NET for a good while. Some of my problems might be not knowing which of Gimp's features to use, or not even knowing they exist. For any Gimp pros out there, a few questions:
  • Does the noise generator have any setting to alter the coverage of the noise? I can't seem to change it.
  • Are the brush settings not as deep as Photoshop? ie size and angle jitter, dual brush?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: August 10, 2013, 08:33:17 am »

well firstly, that star reminds me of star ruler, secondly, straight edges? on what appears to be radiating light? DAMNIT MAN THIS IS SPACE!

anyways, those nebulae are actually quite good, the same kind of thing would work excellently I think, although nebulae seem to be larger and, in some circumstances, fainter.

Concerning your GIMP problems:
1.) I unfortunately would not know.

2.) You should be able to do all those things, although I have never used dual brush.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: August 10, 2013, 09:05:03 am »

So, after I finish my first work that I deem is good enough to be above a simple test of style or tablet, I will upload it here.

I stole my sister's tablet in order to do some drawing, and so far it's been going well.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: August 10, 2013, 10:22:12 pm »

So, after I finish my first work that I deem is good enough to be above a simple test of style or tablet, I will upload it here.

I stole my sister's tablet in order to do some drawing, and so far it's been going well.

Please do post, the thread is going through a period of serious jopax withdrawal, and with a lack of consistent posters new people are welcomed (not to say they aren't welcome normally), assuming of course you come for critique and to share your general awesomeness with us!

EDIT: On that note...

Why do I draw so many mountains? Why doesn't this thread get more posters? What is the nature the universe? The answers to these questions I don't know, but what I do know is mountains:

What I don't know is how to draw a forest, any tips? I've looked up a couple of tutorials, but they either consisted of drawing trees which were TOO detailed for this pic or from a bird's eye view, anyone have experience with this?

EDITception: Also, inconsistencies between mountains; messing up brushes, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay *sigh*
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 10:31:13 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: August 11, 2013, 06:38:05 am »

nice mountains. the sky could use some work though, like some basic gradient or some fading mountains further away.

regarding painting forest's, just get a bunch of refs and start drawing. keep it up!

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: August 11, 2013, 09:20:38 pm »

Okay, I decided this was taking way too long for my first picture.

Things to note:
  • I have zero experience drawing, unless you count the few things I did while testing the tablet.
  • I have not taken any drawing classes.
  • I have almost no knowledge on how to use SAI.
  • I lack basic understanding of all drawing concepts.
  • I learned how to draw by once watching the Penny Arcade guy draw "dickwolf" or whatever about a year ago.
  • I lack reference for anatomy, because I am severely underweight so instead of a roundish body, I have straight lines and pointy bones.
  • This picture lacks the hairband, horns, teeth, fingers. Fingers and teeth due to the size being too small for good enough precision. The hairband and horns because I decided not to "test my limits" and go with accessories.
  • I have OCPD and drawing things that are not perfect, or not square, is incredibly difficult and often results in a lot of mental turmoil and redrawing.
  • All in all, this probably took about a total of 4 hours of work. Most of it being focused on arms, which are still very poorly made and not good in scale. Also the face took a while.
  • Finally, the legs, I lack any and all reference for legs, and all in all, I think it would be a lot more trouble to try and learn now, then to ignore it and finish the picture.

After all of those being taken into consideration, I am open to any and all criticism, and I will attempt to do my best at not bullshitting up excuses for this or that, although I already planned out like, fuck I dunno 40.

THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: August 11, 2013, 10:25:52 pm »

I have zero experience drawing, unless you count the few things I did while testing the tablet.[/li][/list]
    I have not taken any drawing classes.[/li][/list]
    I have almost no knowledge on how to use SAI.[/li][/list]
    I lack basic understanding of all drawing concepts.[/li][/list]
    I learned how to draw by once watching the Penny Arcade guy draw "dickwolf" or whatever about a year ago.[/li][/list]
    I lack reference for anatomy, because I am severely underweight so instead of a roundish body, I have straight lines and pointy bones.[/li][/list]
    This picture lacks the hairband, horns, teeth, fingers. Fingers and teeth due to the size being too small for good enough precision. The hairband and horns because I decided not to "test my limits" and go with accessories.[/li][/list]
    I have OCPD and drawing things that are not perfect, or not square, is incredibly difficult and often results in a lot of mental turmoil and redrawing.[/li][/list]
    All in all, this probably took about a total of 4 hours of work. Most of it being focused on arms, which are still very poorly made and not good in scale. Also the face took a while.[/li][/list]
    Finally, the legs, I lack any and all reference for legs, and all in all, I think it would be a lot more trouble to try and learn now, then to ignore it and finish the picture.[/li][/list]

1. don't worry everyone had no experience at one point
    2. Alot of good artists haven't DONT WORRY bout it, we aint here to judge (just to criticse)
    3. The fuck is SAI?
    4. Drawing concepts will be picked up if you keep at it, do some research
    5. Good, because the penny arcade guy does ****ing amazing comics
    6. Anatomy can be learned, either traditionally or internet-al...ly
    7. Well, ok but you'll never get better if you don't try
    8. your pic is good for your first time on a tablet and OCPD to be sure
    9. good, more time = better quality, good to practice that.
    10. Legs are important, learn that shit.

ANYWAYS, *phew* helpfulness time:

that's pretty great for OPCD + first time on tablet, feel good, sir, feel good.

your "shape" isn't too bad, and you are on the whole proportionally correct, the main anatomical mistake I notice is your (anatomically) left arm, no arm bends like that!

joints are like hinges and limbs are like tubes. Unless they're broken they'll behave in a similar manner, they don't bend at all! Sometimes, I know, it's difficult to envision how a bent arm-behind-the-back looks, but when in doubt draw an "armature" or basically do this:

draw a circle at the center of the shoulder, then draw a line out to where you envision the elbow will be, draw a circle for that joint too, then line to hand, circle at wrist/palm. It won't help your details but it WILL help your anatomy.

Next, legs. Legs are like arms, but on the ground. anatomically, you draw them the same way as arms, as tubes with balls for joints:

note: these are bad examples of legs and somewhat shortened. The foot is also off and is genrerally longer in real life! But it should give you a broad idea of what to do.

oh and ears... include that shit.

Anyways, enough for anatomy (you shouldn't need to know too much more about the chest/stomach area right now, but you'll want to learn that when you draw a more realistic character (Penny Arcade is after all a cartoon).

I can't really critique everything, so I'll just point out some areas the could use some more details: The dress could use folds, etc. (generally difficult to get the hang of), shading, and of course digits. (I.E. fingers and whatnot)

To wrap things up let me say this: Don't feel ashamed or embarrassed, it's quite good for beginner work, and your style is wickedly clean so like I said above, feel proud.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4297 on: August 12, 2013, 12:22:42 am »

Oh my, Ears. I totally forgot to even attempt ears. I'll make sure to do that next time. Also, I left out the nose because the picture I used as reference also lacks a nose.

Your pictures will probably help a lot. Most of my proportions and such are based of me, acting out the scenario and studying it, or looking in a mirror while I do it. (Which once again, isn't very good due to my boney appearance.

I wanted to finish one full picture, before trying out a ton of sketches, so I will probably use your pictures along with other resources, and just sketch arms for a day, or legs, or hands, etc etc.

Eventually, after getting at least a bit of anatomy down, (enough so that it doesn't look like slenderman or something), I'll focus more effort into details and posing. Eventually if I make it past that point, I'll move on to depth.

I am absolutely horrid at art, and I can only see concepts, when I imagine art, I can see the outlines, of the work, but the process of getting there is an impossible thought. To me, art has to be drawn instantly, there is no erasing of lines or anything. That is my main thought I need to get over, once that is done, I may be able to actually attempt a good drawing.

Along with that, because I see everything in concepts and outlines, I have always required something to base my picture off of. This picture was based off a friend's drawing, which I traced, then sketched the body outline under the clothes, then freehanded my own body off of that.

I cannot, although I have tried, come up with an original idea. It's one of my main blockades on my path of sketching for fun. Other artists are able to just say, "Today I will draw an apple" and then they begin drawing an apple. Originally, this picture wasn't supposed to be based off of anything at all. That turned out so unnaturally horrid, I had to start over. I eventually stole the hair from Artemis's avatar, and decided that since I cannot come up with a face design either, I would just do her fantroll and hope for the best.

Sorry for all the text.
    THPÆCROSSISM
    KHDownloads

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4298 on: August 12, 2013, 12:58:20 am »

3. The fuck is SAI?
    Paint Tool SAI, often shortened to SAI, is akin to a poor man's Photoshop, sold legally for around 60 to 70 USD as opposed to Photoshop CS going for however much it is commercially, 300 dollars or something. Both can be obtained in other ways thanks to internet magic but that's aside the point.

SAI has been reviewed generally as being "just as good as photoshop" and is very good for digital artists just starting out. It's not as technical as GIMP and has more features than paint.net and is cheap. It's lacking in photo manipulation or adding textures like photoshop or GIMP can, but it was designed more for making art from scratch rather than editing pre-existing photos.

I use it, many of my friends who are into digital art use it, and we agree it's good for what it does. I've done some sketches in the random things thread using SAI, I haven't posted anything here yet since none of what I've done I'd consider "professional" enough to warrant posting here.
    Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4299 on: August 12, 2013, 09:39:45 am »

I posted about Krita a page or so back, but all this talk of GIMPs and SAIs makes me want to mention it again. Really. I urge you all to give the latest version a spin.

I've been messing with it for a week or so, and while it's got some differences to what I'm used to, I'm thinking more and more that I've found my new go to paint/sketch software.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • Damnit Scoopz!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4300 on: August 12, 2013, 10:51:29 am »

I posted about Krita a page or so back, but all this talk of GIMPs and SAIs makes me want to mention it again. Really. I urge you all to give the latest version a spin.

I've been messing with it for a week or so, and while it's got some differences to what I'm used to, I'm thinking more and more that I've found my new go to paint/sketch software.

Well after looking on the website, I might give it a whirl after I stop playing The Great War mod for Napoleon (that thing is amazing)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4301 on: August 12, 2013, 02:39:47 pm »

I've drawn a still life thingy.

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
    that's like half a femtohitler
    and that is terrible
    Sigtext

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4302 on: August 12, 2013, 02:49:08 pm »

Looking at the website it looks like a huge hassle to set up. I don't know what to download for the source or where to do the script thingy or anything. It's like wizardry or something.

I'll probably look at the site more in-depth later, but the current lack of an easy download for a program that's instantly ready to go right out of downloading and installing is a bit of a turn-off.
    Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4303 on: August 12, 2013, 03:02:36 pm »

guardian: very nice!   what is the thing down infront of the bottle? a eraser? it looks a little bit wierd perspective-wise...

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4304 on: August 12, 2013, 03:06:29 pm »

guardian: very nice!   what is the thing down infront of the bottle? a eraser? it looks a little bit wierd perspective-wise...

Yes, it's an eraser.
    this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
    that's like half a femtohitler
    and that is terrible
    Sigtext
    Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 296