Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379293 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4230 on: May 31, 2013, 09:58:13 pm »

I don't think it's wrong to post unfinished work, I do it a lot, my reasoning is maybe someone will find it and it will help them.

I don't really know how to critique that, but I gotta say your figures are pretty good (dimensionally, better than I can usually do), as is your perspective.

I'd say your next step would be to add details, that's were most of the problems will probably pop up. Armor and such.

of course, if your just practicing physical shapes, I say well done, sir.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: May 31, 2013, 11:31:47 pm »

Thanks, Urist!

Yes, I'm planning to flesh it out in these days, as I continue to draw some more stuff, like the models I've been posting in this thread. I envision it as a pitched clash between two fairly distinct and balanced forces (although one side has the huge, trampling lizard), some of them are these bloodlusty "noble barbarians" with feathered helmets and huge two handed axes; the other ones are reminiscent of the Empire from Warhammer Fantasy, with all the bascinets, shields and spears I've drawn or suggested so far. Obviously, it's just a template right now, their general appearance could be anything from here, but I would like to shape some sort of design before getting into the huge enterprise without leaving with a huge mess of styles and general dissapointment.

I made the initial planning back in a time when I didn't consider relationships between bodies as something relevant, 2 months ago in my calendar, so there is not actually too much happening down there, save for a few corrections I made afterwards. There's still some time and empty space to work with that.

From sunday onwards I'll have some sort of detailed WIP, hopefuly zipped inside a few posts. Further criticism and suggestions (especially for the background) are gladly received.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: June 01, 2013, 08:59:50 am »

Never accuse me of making bullshit excuses, lying, or making things up. I really fucking hate that.

I'm sorry that you feel that way.

There's a reason it's in first person. It's a picture from a first-person ISG.
And I don't want to illustrate a helicopter crash in a desert. The reason the sand's so uniform? It's a beach. With wet sand.
Dodge/burn and smudge tool's the only way I've figured out how to shade using GIMP. Because fuck the manual.
And is my hand broken or something? Because my hand was what I was looking at as I drew. That's the structure of my hand you're looking at there, in a perfectly normal position.

Well, I can certainly give some more in-depth critique on the anatomy if that helps:

The part connecting the thumb to the palm is too thin, making the palm look kinda stretched. Like the thumb was pulled outwards. There's this knobbly bit on the back of the palm that I'm pretty sure should be way lower, in the wrist. The knuckle joints, judging from the shading between the fingers, are in a straight line. I'm sure there's some individual variation in this, but mine are curved and tilted, with the pinky knuckle way closer to the wrist than the index knucle. The fingers look curved more than jointed, and the smudging makes them look lumpy. Nails look off-perspective; pictured from straight above when the fingers and palm are more from the side. And those pale lines seem superimposed on the hand rather than wrapped around it, and now that I look at them more, they're also criss-crossing in a way that makes no biological sense for blood vessels. That's what they are, right?

I've heard some serious artists vehemently preaching that the dodge/burn tool is from the devil, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong about using it. I don't really like it myself, though. You should probably look into learning some other techniques as well.

What is an "ISG"?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: June 01, 2013, 10:47:46 am »

@Valtam.

It's an interesting piece, and feel free to post WIP's, especially if you're looking for opinions of advice on how to continue.

The current one for example could be used to practice shading a bit more without any need to detail it or flesh any of the figures out. Just set a few lightsources at different points and go creating the shadows and highlights from there (it helps to use a toned canvas for this, a low saturation colour that enables you to have highlights that aren't pure white, more on them and their use in this video).

Also also, a bit on composition. Right now it seems very busy and messy with no clear point of focus for the piece. Like a random battle picture. Now that can be fine and dandy if you're aiming for it or just filling the canvas with figures to practice them. But it usually helps to plan out a centerpiece and build the rest of the image around that. Here for example you could use one of the horsemen or that monster on the right as a centerpiece and build the rest of the battle as a background for that.

It could also seem messy and unfocused because it's still early in development and nothing but the sketch is here to indicate a focal point, which can be achieved either trough colour, contrast, shading, blurring or a number of other elements that could serve to indicate it. Still, it's always better to have it clear even in a simple sketch because it's much easier to read that way. One of the reasons practicing drawing thumbnails is great because it teaches you how to make everything clear and readable even in it's rawest and smallest form.

Also also also since I'm back home I'll be able to scan some more stuff I did with pencils :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: June 01, 2013, 03:45:07 pm »

That's what they are, right?
No...

They're like... y'know how plant cells' gaps look like? Those gaps're kinda what like what Iloial skin looks like.

What is an "ISG"?
Illustrated suggestion game.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: June 01, 2013, 05:25:22 pm »

whence does this foul daemonforumspawn exist?

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: June 03, 2013, 05:08:27 am »

Forum Games and Roleplaying.

Also, PTD. I might eventually post a drawing or something. Preferably one that I drew by hand, as drawing by mouse is difficult.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: June 03, 2013, 04:48:43 pm »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: June 04, 2013, 08:17:23 am »

So here's one:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some idea practicing, quick thumbnails of various truck concepts with a unifying restriction that they must be capable of off-road travel and that they be able to carry the same box thing. Some are slightly larger of smaller than the inital one, that was mostly carelessness when doing the proportions of the box X)

Edit:

Time for a digital piece! Inspired by one of the countless images I got on rotation on my desktop, a big and mysterious forest!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 04:09:43 pm by Jopax »
AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: June 20, 2013, 04:48:14 pm »

Double-post because third page is unacceptable guys!

Also I freaking love doing landscapes sometimes, like now, random shapes that gradually evolved into a complete vision, much more satisfying than having a complete vision and seeing it fail to materialise despite your best efforts.

Anyways, mountains and stuff, the people and the mech were sort of tacked on to fill in the space, could have used more work there but it's getting late and I wanted to call it finished :)

AS - IG

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: June 21, 2013, 03:09:19 pm »

So I just finished drawing this warrior guy:

And realized that I definitively need more practice drawing hands, other than that I believe it came out pretty acceptable.

Further critique is very appreciated.

EDIT: changed image host
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 05:00:39 pm by vastaghen12 »

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: June 21, 2013, 04:35:30 pm »

And realized that I definitively need more practice drawing hands, other than that I believe it came out pretty acceptable.

Well, hands might come a bit later, but your anatomy already has the right proportions. Why not use that same model and try different poses and angles? That should flesh it out better than facial features or textured clothing.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: June 22, 2013, 04:18:30 pm »

Well, hands might come a bit later, but your anatomy already has the right proportions. Why not use that same model and try different poses and angles? That should flesh it out better than facial features or textured clothing.

Thanks for the reply valtam. I gave it a try and came up with this:

The stripes of the belt scarf are very hard to get right, still no hands.

What do you people think?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: June 30, 2013, 05:03:06 pm »

So, a somewhat involved piece from me this time. Took a couple of hours I think, slightly longer because I wasn't completely focused on the piece itself a good chunk of the time. This time, I started with a loose sketch of where I wanted what to go, filled in some values to further arrange the composition and went hunting for photos and textures. In the end most of the piece is photo stuff tied together by paint, so something of a matte painting I guess. It was fun working around the photos and trying to tie them all together. Also learned that getting something to look bricky isn't incredibly hard after all, especially if the surrounding area is bricky as well so it helps further the illusion :D

Anyways, any critique is welcomed, especially concerning the incorporation of the photo bits.

AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: June 30, 2013, 09:04:48 pm »

I like everything in it but the guy, not that he's poorly drawn or anything (better than I could do), but I don't think he has enough contrast,and not in a "he blends in" sense either, he just looks weird.

EDIT: looking at it, maybe the issue is that he isn't detailed enough relative to the buildings, it makes him seem cartoony in a more realistic environ.

On the other hand, well done on incorporating the photos, you made them fit in well, I especially enjoy the wall in front, (is that a photo?) although those corners are a little sharp! I actually didn't realize there were photos at first, took a couple of looks to realize it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 09:07:00 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 296