Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379290 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4215 on: May 28, 2013, 12:55:09 pm »

So there was a WIP of this one a while back. It's finished now, done for a friends band, he liked it but felt it didn't fit the style of the music enough (have yet to hear most of it too) so I get to rework it extensively. Already have some ideas and such, not too sure how they'll work out. In the meantime I get to post this one for your oogling pleasure:
Spoiler: Darn big (click to show/hide)

Edit:

Almost forgot to respond to you Valtam. Thanks, and I think you're partly right on the mech, it might be skewed a bit and the rest of it might be from the rather odd shape of the thing itself. Might have to do a proper piece on that one to clarify it a bit more.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:56:42 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: May 28, 2013, 04:40:57 pm »

really nice jopax! your making quite some progress in the last pages of this thread!

some crits;
the black part of the helmet or mask doesnt fit in. maybe make it not so black, and give it some lighting.
also where is hes feet?

hands look awsome though!

latest sketches from me;

tried to make them in the same way, but still came out very different...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: May 28, 2013, 05:29:06 pm »

Heh, the mask comment was made by a friend too. And exactly the same thing was said. I actually did fix it to some degree but that was after this was uploaded.

And the feet were somewhat attempted before I realised they would take far too effort to still turn out rather crappy. So I tried to hide them with the tentacle things, guess it didn't work XD

Also working on something with a bit of a process to show, should be done somewhat soon.

Edit: And it's done, could use quite a bit of work on the details but that wouldn't change the overall thing I think and since it's late I'll just call it finished :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's the somewhat tall process in three steps:

From top to bottom: First one is a quick sketch to get down the general pieces of it together and tie it down so I don't feel compelled to keep adding stuff to it whenever I can (it still happens but to a much lesser degree).
Second one is further refinement to get most of it done, at this stage it's even somewhat presentable as a quick doodle and it didn't really take more than half an hour anyways.
Third step is well after the colours were added and the general mood was set with lightning, some changes still happened (like throwing out the dude that was supposed to be on the mountains in the foreground) but it's mostly detail busywork after this point which can be seen in the final piece.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:12:49 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: May 28, 2013, 08:14:46 pm »

first: Holy shit nice mountains Jopax. nice landscape, Jopax.

Second: That picture reminded me I updated my last picture I was working on some time ago, but had troubles uploading it, but I have it now, and after a hiatus I think Ill finish this.

I tried to make the background mountains more mountainy in this one.

I guess ill have to make things more shadowy now, I don't know.

How to proceed on the mountains?

QUICKEDIT:

did some work on it tonight, I like the way it came out, that's it for tonight though. Cheerio!

I guess I'll have to add red tinge to the rest now.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:01:43 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: May 30, 2013, 08:37:55 pm »

Touched up an image from my ISG.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: May 30, 2013, 08:51:27 pm »

A couple of things:

One, more contrast, make the hand more vibrant, it kind of blends in with the background right now.

Two, the thumb should be out at angle, its kind juts out then goes in the direction of the other digits as it is.

Lastly, put some harder edges in there, use of shading can help too.

Now, having said that, Your hand, sir, is generally well proportioned and seems to have its business about it, good luck, tally ho and all that.

Curious: did you block out the hand first? That might help you in the future!

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: May 30, 2013, 09:05:00 pm »

One, more contrast, make the hand more vibrant, it kind of blends in with the background right now.
Lastly, put some harder edges in there, use of shading can help too.
He just woke up from a helicopter crash with a head wound. Give the dude a break for not being able to see properly. His hand's also somewhat near his face and he isn't focusing on it, rather focusing more on all the sand he displaced with the movement of his hand.

Two, the thumb should be out at angle, its kind juts out then goes in the direction of the other digits as it is.
I don't see why his thumb should be at an angle. The Human/Nyelrrithic/Demonblood/Iloial thumb is most certainly capable of bending that way, and, when clumsily tossed at the sand in an attempt at using it to climb to his feet, it makes perfect sense that it does bend that way. Perhaps that's just how my thumb works, though; I did use my hand as a model.

Curious: did you block out the hand first? That might help you in the future!
?
[/quote]
My tumblr.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: May 30, 2013, 09:27:20 pm »

What Scoopbeard meant about the thumb, I think, is that it's at the right angle but not for the level it's on compared to the other digits. I tried for 5 minutes while browsing the rest of the thread and the only way I could do that was to lower the level of the thumb compared to the rest of my hand.

This is mostly an error implied by the shading in the area between the thumb and hand, I think. A simple fix.

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: May 31, 2013, 04:59:15 am »

slayerhero90: do you want critic on your piece or not? if yes, you shouldnt be so defensive, and don't try to justify all the stuff that is pointed out. just accept the criticism and if there is something you dont agree on, dont change it.
if no, you could state that in your post, "no criticism wanted" or something.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: May 31, 2013, 01:12:25 pm »

slayerhero90: do you want critic on your piece or not? if yes, you shouldnt be so defensive, and don't try to justify all the stuff that is pointed out. just accept the criticism and if there is something you dont agree on, dont change it.
if no, you could state that in your post, "no criticism wanted" or something.
I wasn't aware that I was being defensive, nor was I aware that justifying some of the stuff with perfectly valid reasons was frowned upon. And who are you to give me "options" as to how I should be? Am I not permitted to take a tertiary route and post for criticism for the sole fact that I want to see what others think is wrong compared to my view on it? For example, I forgot to do the lines in the knuckles and I'm disappointed with how the sand turned out. However, it seems nobody else made that observation, instead focusing on shading, which I admit I tend to neglect, sharpness, even though the blurring was intentional, and arrangement of the hand, which I personally did not see problem with. And please at least capitalize the first letter of my goddamn username. Shift keys exist for a reason.
My tumblr.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: May 31, 2013, 02:11:26 pm »

Woah, guys i'm just tryin' to help here!

I apologize if I offended you slayerhero90, but I was just tryin' to be constructive.

To be fair to all, you didn't really give any background on your piece in your post, so when you rebuttled my criticisms it would seem defensive without said information.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: May 31, 2013, 04:48:17 pm »

I wasn't aware that I was being defensive, nor was I aware that justifying some of the stuff with perfectly valid reasons was frowned upon. And who are you to give me "options" as to how I should be? Am I not permitted to take a tertiary route and post for criticism for the sole fact that I want to see what others think is wrong compared to my view on it? For example, I forgot to do the lines in the knuckles and I'm disappointed with how the sand turned out. However, it seems nobody else made that observation, instead focusing on shading, which I admit I tend to neglect, sharpness, even though the blurring was intentional, and arrangement of the hand, which I personally did not see problem with. And please at least capitalize the first letter of my goddamn username. Shift keys exist for a reason.

Yeah, justifying stuff is generally frowned upon, because usually the justifications are bullshit excuses to cover actual unintentional mistakes. Either that or just bad decisions. Like, the blurring. It's not very good. Some parts are sharp, while in others the colors have bled all over, like you just rubbed your image with the smudge tool. And the anatomy is hardly flawless. And the composition? It's an empty field of beige with a green hand reaching in. The green and beige have pretty much the same value, so the hand's not even distinct against the sand, which is what McScoopbeard was saying. If you want to illustrate someone crawling up after a helicopter crash to a desert, I'd suggest spinning the POV around. Focus on the guy's face, with the smouldering copter wreckage in the background. Or pick a birds-eye perspective, showing the wreckage from above, with a humanoid silhouette next to it.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: May 31, 2013, 05:30:45 pm »

Never accuse me of making bullshit excuses, lying, or making things up. I really fucking hate that.

There's a reason it's in first person. It's a picture from a first-person ISG.
And I don't want to illustrate a helicopter crash in a desert. The reason the sand's so uniform? It's a beach. With wet sand.
Dodge/burn and smudge tool's the only way I've figured out how to shade using GIMP. Because fuck the manual.
And is my hand broken or something? Because my hand was what I was looking at as I drew. That's the structure of my hand you're looking at there, in a perfectly normal position.
My tumblr.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: May 31, 2013, 06:45:07 pm »

Ok guys, let's not become contentious.
And to be honest, I've never seen an actual hand that looks like that, sorry.

Look we're just tryin' to help, your free to not act on our advice, but look if your going to post a picture, expect this (I guess, not articulating too well right now) and unless your generally disliked in this thread (like me, no one is interested in my pics!) your gonna get comments, as someone who views your picture im there to give criticism, and my views not gonna change till you update that pic.

Bottom line is this, you didn't really explain the pic in your post, so when you post all this info in response to criticism it looks like your being defensive, maybe you are maybe not i dont know im just telling you how it is.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: May 31, 2013, 06:52:43 pm »

If that pinky finger tries to grab something, it will bend awkwardly if compared to the other fingers. Bonus points for using your hand as a model (EDIT: No, it's the other way around; if you have to keep your own hand as an anatomical model then your drawing will have bidimensional and design flaws, not because your hand is wrong, but because you may not be able to draw other kinds of hands), watch out for those angles, and blurry vision doesn't work that way.

Keep on drawing, keep it civil.

---

Well, lately I've doing this, perspective is my personal circle of Hell but things are getting better. These days I've been learning how muscles are packed and move within the chest and arm area, soon I'll scan or draw something to practice a little bit.

I would like to honestly ask, is it wrong to post these sort of unfinished drawings here? I mean, I have no skill points on shading, rendering or coloring stuff, so maybe I'm tarnishing the real purpose of this thread. I'll check out the tutorials at the OP so I can give some finishing layers to my work and, well, have fun.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:08:11 pm by Valtam »
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 296