Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379306 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4185 on: April 16, 2013, 06:43:44 pm »

Loving the style of the lines, much like my own :D

Anyways, tried out something new, took a SS from WoT and used it as a base for some shapes/colours/values/perspective.
Here's the original:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And what I made:
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: April 18, 2013, 03:31:29 pm »

Some guy on the MSPA forums requested that her fancharacter be drawn. This is the original.

Fuckin' legs, how do they work?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: April 18, 2013, 05:09:56 pm »

It's beautiful. All that from a marshmallow person? Awesome. The comic-book style is quite nice too, I can't seem to pull that look off.

Fuckin' legs, how do they work?
They're, like, tubes that people walk on, man.

Seriously though, mannequins can be very useful for reference. Human skeletons are even better for drawing humanoids, but you'd have a hard time finding one legally. I dunno if you can buy the model skeletons I think they use in medical schools, and that would be a bit extreme. Googling images of leg bone anatomy might be useful for understanding all the bits in the leg and how they work.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: April 19, 2013, 01:04:50 am »

Edit.2 (because no one wants to post :C ):
More mechs, this time based off of a certain pre-WW2 tank (guess which one?):
It has its issues but I like that I managed to capture atleast some of the original tanks features and translated into something different, something I had only been doing unintentionally until recently X)

That's an M3 Lee over there!

As I don't want to post without submitting something, here's a drawing I did a month ago, testing the BAMBOO I'm using right now.
And here's something in working on, right now, and it's fairly bare bones and generic. Criticism is accepted and expected.

Working on that anatomy, as well! There's a lot of stuff to do and a lot to learn.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Randos

• Bay Watcher
  • The Earth Strikes You!
    • View Profile
    • Comic Wolf
« Reply #4189 on: April 19, 2013, 01:36:13 am »

As I don't want to post without submitting something, here's a drawing I did a month ago, testing the BAMBOO I'm using right now.
And here's something in working on, right now, and it's fairly bare bones and generic. Criticism is accepted and expected.
Working on that anatomy, as well! There's a lot of stuff to do and a lot to learn.

That's good foundation for anatomy.  You might try letting the arms rest at the sides of the bodies to get a more natural standing position.  Think of how the meat of the inner arm will lay against the rib cage, or in this case perhaps the armor, with the shoulder merely being a pivot point, and the lower arm just dangling from the upper arm with respect to joint restrictions. 

Hands are by far the hardest thing to draw, and to draw right, because people look at hands a lot.  And when doing character design like this they are a pain because they are small in comparison and hard to fit in.  Recently I have been putting the hands at a natural rest position for character sketches like this, so you only have to draw the pointer finger and thumb in a arc, then draw a couple lines in between the arc to show the other fingers behind.  And I've noticed it helps to scale hands by the size of the face. 

Very good foundation and very good line work.  I hope you keep up with it.

I recently found good concise anatomy reference all on one page here that might be useful:

http://hippie.nu/~unicorn/tut/xhtml/#basics-humananatomy-proportions

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: April 19, 2013, 01:51:15 am »

Actually it was a B1, the M3 has a different main cannon mantlet :P

Your sketches are looking quite good. Except the arms and slight perspective wonkiness it's a pretty good take on the human body.

Now to elaborate, the perspective itself while fine has the issue of not being entirely consistent. If you'll notice how the feet are viewed slightly from above while the rest of the body is completely upright like being viewed from the front. While not extremely noticeable it makes the entire thing look slightly off, like it's a puppet and someone hastily attached the legs to it and now they're kinda wrong looking.
AS - IG

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: April 19, 2013, 11:16:47 pm »

Awesome, I'm taking all the advice to heart, I've always had a lot of trouble with perspective, I'm not even in a medieval miniature level, at least it makes some sort of philosophical sense out there. I just bookmarked that guide, and began drawing a lot of hands, but I did a couple of somethings that maybe show some overall progress in other areas (right now I'm using a blocky approach to limbs).

Here goes nothing (some scribblings are in spanish, as it is my primary language):

And, why not, just made this.
It wouldn't be better if I drew them on paper, so here they are. I'll have to build a reference folder full of photos, so my human poses aren't too far fetched, and for a lot of neat stuff that I could be doing while being inspired. Learning is cool.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: April 19, 2013, 11:38:18 pm »

Edit.2 (because no one wants to post :C ):
More mechs, this time based off of a certain pre-WW2 tank (guess which one?):
It has its issues but I like that I managed to capture atleast some of the original tanks features and translated into something different, something I had only been doing unintentionally until recently X)

That's an M3 Lee over there!

That WIP you are doing looks like something I could pixel-art colorize!
May I try?

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: April 20, 2013, 12:28:30 am »

That WIP you are doing looks like something I could pixel-art colorize!
May I try?

Sure thing! I'm embarrasing at anything related to color, and would be certainly delighted to see any of my crude drawings with a few sparkling hues. Do you mind those layered-and-scribbled versions? Maybe without the structure lines they look somewhat better (or worse! Who knows)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: April 20, 2013, 02:50:13 pm »

The first one has some issues with perspective but I'm loving your style and linework. The biggest problem is the left spear dude, his proportions are rather off and without any ground reference his pose is somewhat wobbly. Also when doing dynamic poses swooshing lines help, to clarify, making them smoother and curved will give a better sense of movement than having the straight and rigid.

The second piece is also very nice, if a bit hard to read in places, but I'd attribute that to the blue overlay line.

Anyways, I opened a tumblr account.

Here's my first thing to post there:

A short ranged transport of sorts, also learned how useful guidelines can be :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:53:54 pm by Jopax »
AS - IG

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: April 20, 2013, 08:28:54 pm »

Awesome carrier! The nose looks a bit off, compared to the rest, like it's displayed sideways while the rest is seen from a lower, sort of 3/4 angle. The colors are great, Photoshop is what you're using?

I'll try to upload them without the overlay, but it's nice to see where they'd start and how I can improve my structures. I'll have to take the Forgotten Beast challenge, so I get to draw outlandish stuff with something that resembles coherency.
I took to heart the received advice, and came up with this:

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: April 20, 2013, 08:30:48 pm »

I love how you draw faces, Valtam. Those guys look so bloodthirsty. Much improvement from the last works!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: April 21, 2013, 04:54:30 am »

Yup, these ones look much much better (despite the crowded image they're pretty easy to tell apart). Just keep at it :D

And yeah, the front is bent slightly downwards, I tried to touch it up but it required some extensive reworks something I couldn't make myself do X)

Also yeah, Photoshop it is, the CS3 version, mostly two or three brushes have been used.
AS - IG

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: April 21, 2013, 01:04:52 pm »

I have started on the pixel art funtime on that WIP. I have most of one of the guy's faces pixeled in.

Is my imagination correct that this is steel armor, with gold/bronze accent? Also, the skirt is red?

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: April 21, 2013, 02:13:02 pm »

I have started on the pixel art funtime on that WIP. I have most of one of the guy's faces pixeled in.

Is my imagination correct that this is steel armor, with gold/bronze accent? Also, the skirt is red?

Sweet. Your mental image is pretty spot-on, as well, although I thought of it as a mostly-bronze armor, they look pretty barbarian to me, maybe a shoddily worked iron. The one on the right in the usual suspects line-up, that is, seems to be the better fitted, perhaps the gang's tank. Using natural dyes for the clothes should work, as well, red seems to be the better choice.

I would love to see how it comes out, wierd. Hands, hands, hands, I still need to practice.

Yup, these ones look much much better (despite the crowded image they're pretty easy to tell apart). Just keep at it :D

Thanks! Doing the best I can. Let's hope that the next ones show some more improvement after some hard, expected exercise.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 02:41:36 pm by Valtam »
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 296