Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379318 times)

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4140 on: March 07, 2013, 12:10:00 am »

I feel like from that angle I'd be able to see a reflection of the sun on the lake.

Also, YAY! New convert to GIMP! Soon we shall rule the world!

MUAHAHAHAHA
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: March 07, 2013, 03:54:35 pm »

Well thanks, next time i'll focus a little bit more on reflections then. Anyways more people should really post in this thread! Come on people, i'm a terrible artist and I post here!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: March 08, 2013, 09:38:09 am »

First off, the perspective, or the landscape itself is a bit wonky and deformed. This is further emphasized by a lack of shadows and reflections of the mountains themselves. Anyways, I'd like to elaborate on this stuff more and all that but I've got to go now so I'll just say do some more studies, reflections don't need to be perfect or anything, especially if you're doing something rough, make sure you get the feel of it right cleaning up is a minor part, making it look right is what you should be focusing on, right now it seems to be on the right track but it needs that bit of work.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: March 08, 2013, 09:41:40 am »

alright thanks! if you DO have time later feel free to give your eleaboration!

EDIT:

@Hubris: you got any good brushes for drawing/painting, I just dled the latest gimp version and the new brushes suck, and pressure opacity seems to be wonky (as in broken)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:59:41 am by Urist McScoopbeard »

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #4144 on: March 08, 2013, 11:35:16 am »

Long absence for me.

I'm working on a game:

big screeny:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I also have a video up if you are interested.
Make sure to switch it to high quality :)

Lots of work still, I'm just starting on the interface and actual gameplay. Right now it is just sort of sandboxy.

If I can get my hands on a scanner maybe I could post some of my original sketches. I like to doodle them out before I start putting them to pixels.

Anyways, I hope we can keep this thread alive!

Thanks! I do have some updates coming through the tubes soon. I got a new computer so I have to set up my IDE again but thats no biggie.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: March 08, 2013, 08:23:57 pm »

alright thanks! if you DO have time later feel free to give your eleaboration!

EDIT:

@Hubris: you got any good brushes for drawing/painting, I just dled the latest gimp version and the new brushes suck, and pressure opacity seems to be wonky (as in broken)
I'm less of a drawing person as i am a photomanipulation person, so I don't really know. Also, I'm a few versions behind, as I'm currently running Debian Linux, which is rather conservative as far as package versions go.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: March 09, 2013, 06:07:43 am »

you got any good brushes for drawing/painting, I just dled the latest gimp version and the new brushes suck, and pressure opacity seems to be wonky (as in broken)

Broken in what way? It works for me. As for the new brushes, well, I think the way of selecting brush size is annoying and inconvenient compared to the previous one, but I can't really think of anything else that's changed.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: March 09, 2013, 01:52:18 pm »

I manged to fix it, some options regarding the pressure settings on my bamboo were turned off, i just flipped them on and it works.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: March 09, 2013, 01:55:19 pm »

Yay and verily, for the good god above did graceth me with yon moment of inspiration.

it is a camera that flies... like a boss. Couple of smudges 'ere 'n' t'ere and you can see the shitty back-side-doodle, but I liked it.
Oh god, that thing reminds me of the flying cameras in Ratchet & Clank: Arena.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: March 09, 2013, 02:02:55 pm »

I knew that drawing would be a sleeper hit!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: March 09, 2013, 08:01:02 pm »

Right, to elaborate before falling asleep.

The general composition seems fine, colors are ok too, might need some cooler ones to balance it out. It could use shadows and reflections of the mountains to tie it all together. As it stands it's just a bunch of mountainy looking stuff next to a big yellow splat. This is what's causing the wierdness of the perspective, it's all loose and not connected in any meaningful way, making everything seem like it's floating.

Give it all some weight and a definite place in the piece and it will be a pretty good piece.

And if you want to give it a sense of scale, the best way is to add something relatable like a person somewhere in there since we immediately know how big everything else should be compared with it. It also gives a piece of focus for the eye to come to. And if you add several of these little details you can easily make a piece very interesting and able to tell a story just by having the viewer's attention jump around as he/she connects the dots so to speak and interprets the piece.

Hope this helps :)
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: March 10, 2013, 05:27:56 pm »

Japa, thats awesome! But what are those cone shaped things?

Anyways, progress!

not done, but I thought I'd show another wip! It takes me a while to do shadows on the water because pressure opacity.

any-anyways, please share moar thoughts! I would like to ask an important question though: How do I make my background mountains more... mountainy? Actually, im not too sure how to do rockiness in general, in the foreground the grey-er parts are supposed to be rocky, but.. that just doesn't feel... detailed enough?

any-any-anyways, next up on the to-do list is fix that island on the left, it's still awkward with that part on the bottom, then fix up my background, and finally see about getting a nice reflection off the water for the sun.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: March 10, 2013, 10:05:16 pm »

Japa, thats awesome! But what are those cone shaped things?

That's just something so the other artificial plates have something to look at on the underside.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: March 17, 2013, 02:30:31 pm »

So first piece in a while I'd like some close examination of, done as part of the weekly workshop thingy by CTRL+Paint, it was a randomly generated SF charachter, I got slightly shafted by getting a girl, one with a face at that :C
Anyways, it has a number of issues I'm aware (like the girl being rather ugly :C) and general half assedness on most of the piece but I just couldn't think of any reason to go into deeper details with most of the stuff besides the face.

Here's her description:
"Xue Shao-Su: Female Technician. Xue has a pink mohawk and dark brown eyes. She wears a grey jumpsuit and carries a switchblade knife. Xue compulsively plays with her hair."
And the piece itself:
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 296