Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377667 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4050 on: November 09, 2012, 01:45:02 pm »

For a sec I thought you'd turned it into a stereoscopic 3d picture.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: November 09, 2012, 04:59:33 pm »

you request comments and then reject them cuz you werent really trying? not cool man, not cool...

anyways smoothing with airbrush and using multiple layers with different opacity seems like a very unconvient way to work. i still think you shoul use hardbrushes.

No... that's not at all what I was doing, I was simply explaining why it might look like that, I also thanked you for the links so I clearly wasn't "rejecting" you...

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: November 10, 2012, 04:10:26 pm »

Did some more rendering practice today.

The middle one seems pretty bad, but I'm satisfied with the other two.
(click for full size)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any comments? maybe from stickadtroja? (I was trying this time ;) )

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: November 10, 2012, 06:11:05 pm »

They're all pretty good. But if you lack the time to do full blown pieces try your hand at quick studies. Grab a random picture of something, make it incredibly tiny (makes the details mostly indistinguishable, thus speeding up the process) and eye out the colors as you block them in.

Anyways, I'm thinking of starting a project thread of sorts. It would be a community project of worl building but not in the usual sense. I was thinking of featuring one main charachter, a pilgrim of sorts on a great trip across the continents and each week one us takes their turn in thinking up and drawing a part of his journey. No general setting, whatever strikes ones fancy, just try to keep it consistent.

So, anyone interested?

The weekly thing is mostly because I'm short on time and whoever else joins will have plenty of time to think something up and draw a piece (or more).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: November 10, 2012, 07:21:02 pm »

They're all pretty good. But if you lack the time to do full blown pieces try your hand at quick studies.
It's not so much an issue of time, so much as motivation and ideas.
Most days I'm getting home from 8 hours of school, with fitness club(~40minute-1hour workout) every morning before school, so I'm a little... bleh, on weekdays.
As far as motivation goes... I almost have an issue with simultaneously being too motivated and not motivated enough at the same time, I really want to draw but I almost want to draw too many different things at once.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: November 10, 2012, 07:35:41 pm »

They're all pretty good. But if you lack the time to do full blown pieces try your hand at quick studies. Grab a random picture of something, make it incredibly tiny (makes the details mostly indistinguishable, thus speeding up the process) and eye out the colors as you block them in.

Anyways, I'm thinking of starting a project thread of sorts. It would be a community project of worl building but not in the usual sense. I was thinking of featuring one main charachter, a pilgrim of sorts on a great trip across the continents and each week one us takes their turn in thinking up and drawing a part of his journey. No general setting, whatever strikes ones fancy, just try to keep it consistent.

So, anyone interested?

The weekly thing is mostly because I'm short on time and whoever else joins will have plenty of time to think something up and draw a piece (or more).

I'd be up for it man. I don't get enough excuses to draw exterior spaces enough and I think it would be awesome to do like an Azarch kind of nomadic series.
I don't have a ton of time, but it only takes me six or seven hours to do something pretty decent and it seems like a lot less if I split up the time.

I just need to know what the pilgrim looks like and what kind of continent we're talking about.

Porcelain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: November 11, 2012, 03:11:06 am »

seriously if i'm told i'm posting in the wrong place again i will die, however constructive criticism of the art itself is appreciated and, indeed, does not result in death.

A Cave Dragon's skin has become spread so thin, and has seen so little sunlight in it's millennia-long lifetime that it has become clear, it's vestigial wings have become even more limp and useless than those of the other Dragons that they now drag across the ground as it moves, in a serpentine fashion through the tube-like tunnels that permeate the eternal night world below the lowest mines of man or dwarf. They are not defenceless however, as their teeth have grown longer, like hooks to grip on the slimy, nameless things that share their deep home and become their prey.

A fortress deep within the reaches of the capital of the realm of The Mystical Door, Kanzon, built in the deep natural caverns beneath the city, which holds captive the steam-beast Avi Aniiquila, shackled by rock and darkness in the deepest fathoms of the fortress-city.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: November 11, 2012, 04:09:40 am »

Yes, this is the right place. You shall live, for now.

In the lower image, is that a dwarf carrying a torch some 1/3 from the left? Because he is critically out of scale with the stairs in front of him. That cave dragon looks cool, although I'm having a hard time imagining how it could move with those little limbs, and the bones look a bit too slender for a land-dwelling animal. Also I don't think it makes much biological sense for it to be translucent, but that doesn't matter because it looks cool and creepy. :)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: November 11, 2012, 04:46:25 am »

I think the dragon is well on it's way to become a slime or something, it gives the impression it just sorta wiggles around ponderously with short bursts of speed when hunting. But the bones could be a bit thicker, the ribs especially, they look like they'd break with any sort of impact.

@Robocorn

It's not defined, basically, by taking a week of the trip and doing a piece and maybe a short writeup to elaborate it a bit more we'd be building it piece by piece, what isn't directly shown can be written about or hinted at. The world itself could be similar to Earth to make things a bit simpler but that isn't a must.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: November 11, 2012, 03:29:43 pm »

Hey Jopax i want in! Sounds super cool and its good to have things pushing me to draw more...

mendonca: thanks for the paintover! i really like the idea of having really dense fog. going to take another pass over the painting and keeping it in mind.

Porcelain: thats a awsome dragon design! lending elements from deep sea fish is super cool! i do think that it does look kind of immobile with those small limbs. if you want to keep them , you could make the body slimer, more wormlike to illustrate the way it moves.

bombzero: I like these a lot more! good, clean shapes and pretty solid rendering. this is good progress! next step i would suggest would be to pick a real object and do a very basic shading of it. an apple for example, like they had in that ConceptArt-thread.
Or pick something more intresting, if it gets you more motivated

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: November 11, 2012, 03:36:33 pm »

bombzero: I like these a lot more! good, clean shapes and pretty solid rendering. this is good progress! next step i would suggest would be to pick a real object and do a very basic shading of it. an apple for example, like they had in that ConceptArt-thread.
Or pick something more intresting, if it gets you more motivated

Cool, thanks. Though not sure if it's "progress" seeing as how it's just 3 shapes drawn shortly after doing that worksheet from Ctrl+paint.com

Side note: everybody seems to love apples for rendering practice.

Further side note: I hereby present Apple Rendering Attempt 001, by Bombzero.
Just go ahead and close your eyes tightly now... =p
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 10:32:16 pm by bombzero »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: November 11, 2012, 11:03:35 pm »

Hmm, your other ones are better. The light, being a defined "spot," makes it look like the actually colors of the apple are inside it like a marble. Similarly, the red parts are very flat, and you could lose the thin yellow/green streaks as they only make it look more flat.

More advice:

-Drop the bevel shading. Most notable around the bottom and right. An apple is rendered similar to a deformed sphere as it's quite rounded.
-The light needs to flow out from the spot it's focused on rather than end at an arbitrary point.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:08:51 pm by freeformschooler »

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: November 11, 2012, 11:31:21 pm »

Hmm, your other ones are better. The light, being a defined "spot," makes it look like the actually colors of the apple are inside it like a marble. Similarly, the red parts are very flat, and you could lose the thin yellow/green streaks as they only make it look more flat.

More advice:

-Drop the bevel shading. Most notable around the bottom and right. An apple is rendered similar to a deformed sphere as it's quite rounded.
-The light needs to flow out from the spot it's focused on rather than end at an arbitrary point.

Alright, thanks for the advice.

Also the bevel shading was unintentional, I seem to do more poorly on drawing real objects than things from my imagination or just random shapes.

Which actually segways nicely into my next point.
See, those same issues you mentioned me having with the apple were quite annoying, and just seemed to keep popping up on their own because I was trying to recreate a real thing.
However, upon just trying to draw a "generic rounded shape" I came up with this.

Which makes it seem, that like I said, it's the act of drawing a "real" item that fucks me up.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: November 11, 2012, 11:35:05 pm »

Which makes it seem, that like I said, it's the act of drawing a "real" item that fucks me up.

I have a suggestion, then. I know you heard it earlier in the thread, but this will be rather simple and straightforward. Grab an apple from your kitchen, a drawing pad and a pencil or two. Don't be afraid to spend a couple hours on this, but try to look at your pad as little as possible while rendering it other than to make sure you did not screw up. If you have a scanner, you can easily scan it into the computer and mirror it to see what went wrong, if anything.

I may try my hand at this, too, tomorrow. But I will say this is a much faster way to learn shading techniques than reading and implementing them off a website.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: November 11, 2012, 11:37:34 pm »

I have a suggestion, then. I know you heard it earlier in the thread, but this will be rather simple and straightforward. Grab an apple from your kitchen, a drawing pad and a pencil or two. Don't be afraid to spend a couple hours on this, but try to look at your pad as little as possible while rendering it other than to make sure you did not screw up. If you have a scanner, you can easily scan it into the computer and mirror it to see what went wrong, if anything.

I may try my hand at this, too, tomorrow. But I will say this is a much faster way to learn shading techniques than reading and implementing them off a website.

I don't seem to have any actual fruit around my house at the moment, it's quite annoying considering I went looking for one to use for practice earlier. That, and using reference images off the web is much more difficult then drawing something you can look at from different angles if need be.

EDIT: took a stab at drawing one with some of the advice you gave(using the previous one as a clipping layer). no real texture to it though.

The shading looks "blocky" because I literally just drew a grid over it to give myself a better idea of shape when blocking in the shading initially. Just for the sake of fixing the issue from the previous one.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:56:52 pm by bombzero »
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 296