Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377675 times)

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4020 on: October 19, 2012, 05:50:56 pm »

I quite like that one. The blurry edges only serve to focus my attention to the middle. Maybe place something interesting there? A character or a vehicle? Something that tells a story?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #4021 on: October 19, 2012, 08:17:55 pm »

Yeah, I like that too. It reminds me of some concept art I've seen for sci-fi landscapes and stuff.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4022 on: October 20, 2012, 03:38:17 am »

That's one of the reasons I'm not too fond of it. I see it has potential but I can't see what exactly it is, and being the perfectionist I am, it's driving me crazy.

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4023 on: October 20, 2012, 10:45:46 am »

Embrace your madness! :D

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4024 on: October 20, 2012, 11:26:44 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:54:14 pm by Ogdibus »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4025 on: October 20, 2012, 08:27:10 pm »

That's one of the reasons I'm not too fond of it. I see it has potential but I can't see what exactly it is, and being the perfectionist I am, it's driving me crazy.

The potential is the landscape. Don't worry about any specific part of it, but embrace the whole image as what it is. That's how concept art works, it portrays possibilities and interpretations and what not; it doesn't have to be perfect or have a fantastic arrangement. If it was a character or creature or specific object, then you can worry about little details, but for a landscape I think it works great at portraying a potential landscape.

Anyway, it's your artwork. Do what you want with it.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: October 26, 2012, 04:44:38 pm »

Hey everybody! this seems cool, a lot of nice stuff in here. here is my latest sketch, please crit away, i have a thick skin :)

some thoughts from checking the last pages;

lordnincompoop: the mouth on the girl portrait is more defined on the right side. is there a reason for this un-symmetry?

to people who are doing landscape paintings, try to make the background in layers to add to the depth. put the horizon line higher, having it the same height as the foreground only makes sense if your lying with your head pressed against the ground.

made pic to explain;

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: October 26, 2012, 06:07:30 pm »

I quite like that gas-mask sketch. Pretty badass.

I actually tried drawing something similar a couple days back: a humanoid figure with the only distinguishing feature being a similar mask, only with steampunkish wings too. Never got around to finishing it, so my opinion may be a bit biased.

Welcome to the engraving club, man!

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: October 26, 2012, 10:31:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Perhaps I should use pencils instead of biros   :-\

Since it seems also that my scanner likes to leave out any subtle shading, I may start doing digital work.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: October 26, 2012, 10:39:47 pm »

I may start doing digital work.
joooiiinnn ussss...

At any rate, forgot to post this here I suppose.
Current WIP, a "tech-knight" of sorts, idea popped into my head at complete random with no proper provocation or rational connection.
Spoiler: a tad large (click to show/hide)
There's some minor issues with the armor I need to fix in the sketch, then I'll move on to finalizing the sketch and actually painting it.
The only real quandary I have now is if I'll do it more "airbrush" style or more solid-colored, any opinions on which would look better?

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: October 27, 2012, 11:51:12 am »

There's some minor issues with the armor I need to fix in the sketch, then I'll move on to finalizing the sketch and actually painting it.
The only real quandary I have now is if I'll do it more "airbrush" style or more solid-colored, any opinions on which would look better?

I've seen speed paints that made use of both solid colors and airbrushing to make an good looking "mech" like color. Makes it look like the armor was spray painted and adds to a sci-fi sort of mood. Using textures from other sources can work too, to make an illusion that you did more than simply spray and/or paint over a pre-existing texture you found on the internet.

Here's an example of a speed paint that makes good use of textures for tanks, helicopters, and others while painting to compliment the artist's painting.

Here's a slightly longer example making use of airbrushes and solid colors together.

also, you'll probably want to crop out that extra white space at the top if you won't be using it. At the moment that space takes up half the image.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: October 27, 2012, 01:19:48 pm »

I've seen speed paints that made use of both solid colors and airbrushing to make an good looking "mech" like color. Makes it look like the armor was spray painted and adds to a sci-fi sort of mood. Using textures from other sources can work too, to make an illusion that you did more than simply spray and/or paint over a pre-existing texture you found on the internet.

Here's an example of a speed paint that makes good use of textures for tanks, helicopters, and others while painting to compliment the artist's painting.

Here's a slightly longer example making use of airbrushes and solid colors together.

also, you'll probably want to crop out that extra white space at the top if you won't be using it. At the moment that space takes up half the image.

Thank you, also I will be using a good portion of it then cropping the rest, the image itself is supposed the be the knight standing on a street corner in a town that is an odd blend of steampunk and cyberpunk.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: October 27, 2012, 05:59:18 pm »

...is an odd blend of steampunk and cyberpunk.

You do know how to tickle my geek-glands, that's for sure.

Looking forward too have a look. :)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: October 27, 2012, 06:43:40 pm »

Also, digital advice: www.ctrlpaint.com

Can't comment on the big ass image since it takes too long to load even a part of it, but from what I've seen of the head, it's best to use hard edged brushes when blocking in colors, atleast for me. Gives a much better definition of the body, then again I used to use soft brushes all the time, but eventually I made the transition, it was hard at first but after a while I can't see myself using them for anything but some shading or highlighting X)

And a welcome to stickadtroja, you have a nice style, I would love to see more of your stuff :)

And to finish off, I was doing an old man, somewhat used a reference, he didn't come out that great (but I'm not much of a face person so it's to be expected a bit), and there are a few issues nagging me that I can't wrap my head around. Mainly the mouth is fudged in a way I can't seem to fix no matter how I move it or adjust it, the left side of his face too, especially the eye, can't get it to look good so I just kinda smudged it around and tried to hide it :S
The head is also a bit wierd in shape but I think it's because of failed perspective on my part and numerous resizings.
Anyways, advice on possible solutions anyone?

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: October 28, 2012, 07:21:56 am »

Definitely no expert on faces myself, but spoilered are are some thoughts. Take em for what it's worth.
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 [269] 270 271 ... 296