Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377697 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3990 on: October 17, 2012, 02:09:59 am »

Just two little "speed paintings" I scribbled up using nothing but a flat brush set to a single size while I was bored.

Each one took 5-10 minutes.

My suggestion:

Get off the computer. Stow away your tablet. Start studying proper anatomy and do studies from life.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:11:59 am by lordnincompoop »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: October 17, 2012, 09:26:09 am »

@lordnincompoop: I agree, but you need to explain your intentions before suggesting a course of action.

The anatomy of the two speedpaints were far too loose with no muscle definition, even in the legs which normally have an inward curve. The ribcage of the peasant also ended too low, leaving little to no curve to the spine despite the pose. General anatomy would help you immensely, whether it be from life or from reference. Drawing from life has the benefit of making you think fast.

I'd pick up George Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life if you want a book to learn anatomy from. It's a fantastic book with detailed lectures and pictures.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: October 17, 2012, 11:03:56 am »

Just two little "speed paintings" I scribbled up using nothing but a flat brush set to a single size while I was bored.

Each one took 5-10 minutes.

My suggestion:

Get off the computer. Stow away your tablet. Start studying proper anatomy and do studies from life.

Some other advice bombzero: don't get too discouraged by criticism, especially when it sounds harsh.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: October 17, 2012, 12:42:31 pm »

This literally shorted out my brain for a few minutes.

...Is that...hair coming out of his nostrils? It's incredibly silky.

Assuming we're thinking of the same image, that's a hunk. Of meat. From the page behind the drawing.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: October 17, 2012, 02:16:16 pm »

@lordnincompoop: I agree, but you need to explain your intentions before suggesting a course of action.

The anatomy of the two speedpaints were far too loose with no muscle definition, even in the legs which normally have an inward curve. The ribcage of the peasant also ended too low, leaving little to no curve to the spine despite the pose. General anatomy would help you immensely, whether it be from life or from reference. Drawing from life has the benefit of making you think fast.

I'd pick up George Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life if you want a book to learn anatomy from. It's a fantastic book with detailed lectures and pictures.

I've done so many many times, way back in the thread. Much of the advice I gave there still applies.

To be frank, I no longer have the time to write up such long posts. What I said was the message I wanted to convey in a nutshell.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: October 17, 2012, 04:19:59 pm »

Some other advice bombzero: don't get too discouraged by criticism, especially when it sounds harsh.

Yup, I know. It's also generally amusing when people miss the point of something in nearly it's entirety. (I would have thought the emphasis on talking about brushes would have gotten across that the intent was more just messing with brushes then the actual characters themselves, but I should probably post in 32 point font, bright red, what the purpose of a piece was when I put it in an art thread, especially when I assume it's clear already.)

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: October 17, 2012, 04:41:34 pm »

This literally shorted out my brain for a few minutes.

...Is that...hair coming out of his nostrils? It's incredibly silky.

Assuming we're thinking of the same image, that's a hunk. Of meat. From the page behind the drawing.

Huh, so it is. I prefer my interpretation, though, it's more mindbreaking.  :P

In my defense, the meat is positioned so at first glance it does look like black, flowing locks of hair. The fan in his hand helps convey the illusion, too.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: October 17, 2012, 05:28:15 pm »

sorry to have fried your brains a little. that's indeed part of the original illustration explaining how to recognize different cuts of meat, on top of which i painted the pin up. it's easier to recognize it on paper, though. they all look a lot nicer on paper too

possibly the worst thing ever done to a 40ies magazine. i'm not really interested in criticism, constructive or otherwise, at least till tomorrow night
http://imgur.com/a/RxS9B#5 (caution, gayness!)
Ha! I seriously love all of that.

Would love some of those framed on the wall.
glad you like it. i'm getting mixed messages from a potential buyer, he either wants some of them for 40€ apiece, or all of them for 300€, but whatever i don't sell by sunday i can make it available to bay12ers for a friendlier price. If you'd like a print, i'm going to scan them in a better scanner and you can have the scans for free, if the buyer(s) don't object

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: October 17, 2012, 07:43:52 pm »

Yup, I know. It's also generally amusing when people miss the point of something in nearly it's entirety. (I would have thought the emphasis on talking about brushes would have gotten across that the intent was more just messing with brushes then the actual characters themselves, but I should probably post in 32 point font, bright red, what the purpose of a piece was when I put it in an art thread, especially when I assume it's clear already.)

This is a thread for critique. It even says so in the OP. People aren't "missing the point" when the first thing they notice isn't the brushes you use but the quality of the actual drawings or the technical finesse used. If you're not looking for constructive criticism or suggestions, we have a thread for that too.

I would recommend not being passive-aggressive about criticism ("generally amusing", etc.) - that closes you off to improvement and good advice, especially since LNCP's suggestion applies to all your recent submissions (at least it would seem.)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: October 17, 2012, 08:05:03 pm »

This is a thread for critique. It even says so in the OP. People aren't "missing the point" when the first thing they notice isn't the brushes you use but the quality of the actual drawings or the technical finesse used. If you're not looking for constructive criticism or suggestions, we have a thread for that too.

I would recommend not being passive-aggressive about criticism ("generally amusing", etc.) - that closes you off to improvement and good advice, especially since LNCP's suggestion applies to all your recent submissions (at least it would seem.)

Ya, bomb I know I said don't get discouraged but you don't have to backhand someone across the face get all defensive for them criticizing you, other people's input is important man.

EDIT: Like, you know man, I am a fucking... pretty terrible artist and I get bent out of shape alot when people say my stuff sucks and I thought that it was cool, but sometimes you just gotta realize it's all for the good of the cause.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: October 17, 2012, 09:18:56 pm »

Ya, bomb I know I said don't get discouraged but you don't have to backhand someone across the face get all defensive for them criticizing you, other people's input is important man.
EDIT: Like, you know man, I am a fucking... pretty terrible artist and I get bent out of shape alot when people say my stuff sucks and I thought that it was cool, but sometimes you just gotta realize it's all for the good of the cause.

I have no problem with criticism, regardless of tone, if it's useful.
But something basically amounting to "Lulz get off teh interwebz n get gud nub" isn't exactly "useful" and surprise surprise, it tends to provoke an equally asinine response.

In other news, I managed to simplify the supposedly extremely complicated process of drawing the human head into two steps using my knowledge form learning how to do it the extremely complicated way.
1. draw a "crash test dummy's head" and add crosslines.
2. draw a human head over it.

Now mind you this is like a 10 second drawing, but it just shows the idea. It's really just cutting out 2-4 of the "tricky" steps by using a easy to visualize pre-made form.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:07:20 pm by bombzero »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: October 17, 2012, 11:53:13 pm »

That method is similar to Andrew Loomis' method. You start with an oval (about 5:8 ratio) and then draw a line down the middle where the eyes will be. Mark the middle between were the eyes are and the oval's bottom, and that's where the nose is. You half it again to place the mouth, which you place slightly higher than the new line.

It's easy to do once you get used to it. Keep in mind that hair goes above the oval, and not on it. The eyes should always be in the middle when your character is bald.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: October 18, 2012, 12:11:06 am »

I have no problem with criticism, regardless of tone, if it's useful.
But something basically amounting to "Lulz get off teh interwebz n get gud nub" isn't exactly "useful" and surprise surprise, it tends to provoke an equally asinine response.

No. That was a serious piece of criticism.

You will learn much more by studying away from the computer, by looking at things in real life instead of sitting there holed up by your tablet drawing things from your imagination.

You will also learn more by removing the currently unnecessary complexities of brush size/type and colour.

On another note, I suggest you learn to be a little more accepting of advice in the future, and not simply dismiss what you receive as "asinine" simply because it scuffs your ego.

Robocorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: October 18, 2012, 01:55:19 am »

Indeed, as grouchy as our friend lordnincompoop is, he is in fact, entirely correct. You should heed him as best you can.
I understand everyone might not be able to run out to the nearest art supply depot and buy a box of vine charcoal and a sheet of steel
gray paper and start sketching nudes. But maybe you could pick up a #2 pencil and draw a picture of someone in your domicile.
If you really can't find a pencil in your whole domicile (I've been there). maybe you can draw whatever is to the left of your monitor
on your tablet, maybe you could put something fun to draw to the left of your monitor and draw it with the hard-round-brush.
Artists love it, it's hard, it's round, it's the first brush without feather, it's all value and line weight (which is totally sugoi
according to lordnincompoop) You'll get better in no time gradually, but you'll notice it.

TL;DR please don't be discouraged, but please, find some reference.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: October 18, 2012, 02:16:13 am »

If you really can't find a pencil in your whole domicile (I've been there)
do you often sneak into bay12ers houses and take away their pencils or is bombzero a special case?
did you take my pencils?
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 296