Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377823 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3810 on: May 15, 2012, 10:26:23 am »

The thing i dont like is the windmills, they somehow look like paper figures that were pasted in.
Other  then that, its a nice drawing.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: May 15, 2012, 11:34:43 am »

I like them, they give quite a bit of charachter to the piece, make it look like a childrens book illustration or a collage :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: May 15, 2012, 01:11:49 pm »

Is it supposed to be in a cave? Because thats wha i see.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: May 16, 2012, 02:39:01 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some more practice, I liked the mood the rain created today so I tried to modify the piece to reflect the same mood, with fog of course because fog is awesome :)
AS - IG

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
« Reply #3814 on: May 17, 2012, 02:32:35 pm »

@Jopax:
I like both your studies very much.
The last one has got a very nice composition, but due to the amount of fog it's looking rather dull.
This can easily be changed by adding content ,) Just a glimpse of some architecture would 'spice' it up a lot.

Here's also a little something I just made in Photoshop.
I hope you like it, critique greatly appreciated!

I call him: The Kettle!

Done with a mouse, btw. Can be a huge pain sometimes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: May 17, 2012, 04:03:46 pm »

Wow, that's great, I used to do some mouse stuff before I got a tablet and I know how painful that can be (especially when PS doesn't save something you've just wasted hours on).
AS - IG

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: May 17, 2012, 07:07:09 pm »

That smoke looks pretty cheap and filter-y, and doesn't really go well with the cartoony style. As for the figure itself, it seems that you shaded each piece individually, probably keeping them in separate layers. The light direction on the left (his right) leg is wrong, and more generally, the black kettle carapace lays no shadows on his body and vice versa. Makes the whole thing look flat like a paper doll. The shoulders are especially bad.

This also happens in different parts of the carapace. The light falling on the greaves and the pauldrons seems to be coming from different directions, and despite light coming from the right, it seems to fall equally on pauldrons and greaves on both sides.

I like the overall design, though. I'd probably have  given him some spiked gauntlets or something, but I can't deny that those pink oven mitts look very cute. :)

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
« Reply #3817 on: May 18, 2012, 04:22:44 am »

Thank you for the feedback!

I must admit that I suck at shading. Or rather I spent so much time on the base that I got frustrated in the end and just added some additional pieces and the smoke to finish it off. Right now I'm not working on extra levels to shade, which probably stems from the fact that I was switching from Illustrator to Photoshop in order to be able to animate and keep each piece/limb individually.

Right now I'm just doing these images to get faster at working in Photoshop, especially with a mouse (I feel like this is one of the main reasons I get so easily frustrated). Any advice for people drawing with a mouse? I'm experimenting with brushes and filters, but if the stroke itself is squiggly and weak you can change your brushes as much as you want  :-\

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: May 18, 2012, 04:40:20 am »

About halfway his right arm there is a straight line in the background, further i cant really provide feedback because i suck at drawing myself.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: May 18, 2012, 09:33:32 pm »

Allo, I am back! I actually thought I was going to draw something more detailed than this, but I think this came out well, as I was practicing a little anatomical-perspective-y stuff.
He's just a knight, probably a sellsword.

There's alot of wrong things to notice even without a skilled eye
-left calf
-left forearm
-right knee
-buttocks & where the breastplate is connected via banded metal to the legwear
- etc. etc.

However I am enjoying the upper body here, its the best ive drawn in a while (the only actually), and pauldrons

Having said that please, critique. It's always appreciated (except when it's not!)

P.S. just noticed, if the image is a little fuzzy or blurry it's cause I was forced to save it as a jpeg (those bastards.)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: May 19, 2012, 05:14:09 pm »

So I made another one, there's a whole little story I made for this one, so please do read and comment :>

:D
AS - IG

Doohl

• Bay Watcher
  • [OMNIPOTENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: May 20, 2012, 11:51:53 am »

Here's something I spent a couple hours painting.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: May 20, 2012, 12:03:56 pm »

Jopax, that's a great drawing and story. I wonder though, how big did you imagine that thing when you made it?
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: May 20, 2012, 01:33:45 pm »

Thanks, and it's slightly bigger than your average MBT I guess, the idea is that it's rather resiliant to damage while also having a very high regeneration (that it has to keep up by eating stuff, not sure what exactly).

Also, nice work Doohl, I like the atmoshperic glow around the planet, a really nice touch :)
AS - IG

Blue Viking Hog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: May 23, 2012, 06:03:01 am »

The Fool

Thank you :) glad you liked the lightning, I tried to make the picture better by trying to fix what you pointed out.

miauw62

Thanks, I tried to fix the windmills.

Jopax

Thank you. I like to have a simple style in my paintings, (less work, I am lazy) :p
And fantastic monster you painted! Its really cool!

Urist McScoopbeard

yes it's supposed to be a cave.
And cool knight you made!

Here is my hopefully more fixed picture, I tried to make it less sketchy. The contrast got a bit too high though.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 06:20:21 am by Blue Viking Hog »
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 296