Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377870 times)

joss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3660 on: February 22, 2012, 05:46:34 pm »

Another landscape, a bit more refined.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3661 on: February 23, 2012, 05:57:33 am »

This one is much better than the previous. The previous one had way too strong colours that were hard on the eyes. This one's indeed more refined, and much smoother. But you did say the last one was drawn quickly.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: February 23, 2012, 06:38:31 am »

I liked the last one more, much more raw than this one, the textures were a bit much in some parts but the piece itself was very nice.

This one while being technically superior for the most bart is just somehow empty and bland, some more color or a centerpiece to keep the viewer interested would help greatly, give it some personality (if the goal was to keep it as faceless and emotionless as possible then it's succeding very nicely) to remove the unsettling emptiness.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #3663 on: February 23, 2012, 12:43:03 pm »

It looks like part of an opening movie for a game. Just add text!

"In the first days of the land of Solidfew..."

Woah, I was actually smacking random keys for the name, there. Not sure how that happened.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: February 25, 2012, 05:31:10 pm »

I need some advice on figure drawing:
Everyone here would agree that the only way to succeed in figure drawing is to draw from life. However, from my experience, it is very difficult to recognize the structure of the body underneath the clothes (for example, when a person is wearing a thick jacket, or a business suit)
Because of that, it appears that the only way to improve in figure drawing is to do studies from a nude model (as well as to study anatomy books, but I don't have any problems with those, thanks to the Internet). However, private life drawing classes (ateliers, something like that), doesn't exist here. Applying to a fine art college after finishing school is not an option for me. There is no sculptures in my immediate vicinity I can sketch. And, from what I've heard, drawing from photos is very bad.
The question is, with all that combined, how I'm supposed to learn figure drawing?

P.S. Moving to the EU/USA is definitely not an option for me, my parents will not let me do that (my dad thinks that the escalation of the ongoing economic crisis will eventually throw the USA and EU into chaos in the upcoming years).
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: February 25, 2012, 06:05:42 pm »

This one is much better than the previous. The previous one had way too strong colours that were hard on the eyes. This one's indeed more refined, and much smoother. But you did say the last one was drawn quickly.
The whole landscape is nice and pretty nicely drawn, but I would go for cool colors on the mountains, and just generally a wider variety of colors.  Also you need something more for a focal point;  My eyes usually just settle on the brightly lit little tip of mountain to the left.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: February 25, 2012, 09:40:44 pm »

I need some advice on figure drawing:
Everyone here would agree that the only way to succeed in figure drawing is to draw from life. However, from my experience, it is very difficult to recognize the structure of the body underneath the clothes (for example, when a person is wearing a thick jacket, or a business suit)
Because of that, it appears that the only way to improve in figure drawing is to do studies from a nude model (as well as to study anatomy books, but I don't have any problems with those, thanks to the Internet). However, private life drawing classes (ateliers, something like that), doesn't exist here. Applying to a fine art college after finishing school is not an option for me. There is no sculptures in my immediate vicinity I can sketch. And, from what I've heard, drawing from photos is very bad.
The question is, with all that combined, how I'm supposed to learn figure drawing?

P.S. Moving to the EU/USA is definitely not an option for me, my parents will not let me do that (my dad thinks that the escalation of the ongoing economic crisis will eventually throw the USA and EU into chaos in the upcoming years).

Pick up Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life by George B. Bridgman. Best drawing anatomy book I've ever read. It makes online tutorials look like they were written by amateurs in comparison. I don't draw from life, but I'd like to think that my figures have gotten better because of that book.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Tulx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: February 26, 2012, 05:40:18 pm »

Hi.. these are basically all the pictures I've ever drawn (more like 50% but the others I didn't like or don't show my current level so they aren't being posted) after I tried to educate myself in drawing. I read the book 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' by B. Edwards which really helped (I recommend it to a total newb) but motivation has been hard to come by and so I haven't been very productive however I want to pick drawing up again.

Any books someone can recommend about watercolor or oil painting?

joss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: February 28, 2012, 08:35:16 am »

Well here's another landscape, actually pretty pleased with this one.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:45:54 am by joss »

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: February 28, 2012, 09:06:05 am »

In the lower left and right there are some pretty noticeable sprinkles. They seem to be detached from the rest of the picture and not like tree tops to me.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #3670 on: February 28, 2012, 09:15:21 am »

Any books someone can recommend about watercolor or oil painting?

Alla Prima by Richard Schmid, hands down one of the best. The thing about painting is there are really no 'tricks' or shortcuts worth learning. There are a lot of books that teach tricks and short cuts - this is one of the few that doesn't.

Well here's another landscape, actually pretty pleased with this one.

A couple quick adjustments - changed some uncomfortable tangents where the lines in the far mountains intersected lines in the near mountains at the same angle. Also Sharpened edges of near mountains and softened edges of far mountains where the lines intersect to increase sense of depth.

The major change though was clarify how the landscape as a whole moves through the spectrum as distance from the viewer increases. You already had a bit of this in the original.

One thing that would improve your work that I didn't adjust here would be to avoid using near blacks, and instead use extremely saturated dark colors where-ever possible. Black or near black tends to ruin the reality, as it almost can never occur in a landscape due to ambient light. Even an object that is locally black would not appear black at any distance from the viewer.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3671 on: February 29, 2012, 04:35:47 am »

Dorfs!
Also known as Zuhayr.

joss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: February 29, 2012, 04:10:46 pm »

Bought a new sketchbook, and some nice Derwent pencils.

E: Found out Cumberbatch is playing Smaug and voicing The Necromancer (aka Sauron) in The Hobbit. Awesome.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:59:44 pm by joss »

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #3673 on: March 01, 2012, 06:44:57 am »

Nice new art guys.

Wait, voicing Sauron in the Hobbit?

joss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: March 01, 2012, 07:50:16 am »

Wait, voicing Sauron in the Hobbit?
"Sauron ( /ˈsaʊərɒn/) is the primary antagonist and titular character of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings.
In the same work, he is revealed to be the same character as The Necromancer from Tolkien's earlier novel The Hobbit."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauron
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 296