Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377909 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3585 on: February 09, 2012, 04:10:11 pm »

Thanks for the reply guys.

I honestly didn't see this at first.

I drew this based on a marvel figure and not from an actual woman, so I guess that is where it went wrong.

Let's see if I can fix this.

Thanks for being so gracious about it!  And yeah, copying from a Marvel comic book is definitely where you went wrong.  There's some cartoonists that, other than a few weird fixations (example: Rumiko Takahashi and Akira Toriyama, whose women mostly make sense but have the scrunchiest little torsos I've ever seen) draw this stuff fairly well, but in general it's better to draw from life and then symbolize.

Symbols are, in general, fine.  It's just that your symbols have to play well with each other, and yours aren't doing that right now.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #3586 on: February 09, 2012, 04:36:58 pm »

what does T&A mean? Tits and ass?

Anyway, the intention of the picture was more display of power than sexualization. (Then again, using Mystique as a role model might not be the best idea.)

Not sure if I can draw this picture again, but I'll remember the tips until next time.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: February 09, 2012, 04:52:43 pm »

Yeah, T&A is tits and ass.

The main thing you need to know about Marvel comics is that the women's "power poses" are not physical power poses, they are sexual power poses, that is to say honey pot/beckoning sexual ability poses, and the same goes for most western comic books... I know that the dialogue says something else, but it lies.

(I say this as a person who is very gullible, and used to believe this shit too)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: February 09, 2012, 09:01:35 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:55:40 am by Ogdibus »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: February 09, 2012, 09:04:33 pm »

I am the exact opposite of turned on.  I am rotated so far off that I cannot even riff on the original phrase.

Also, the lineart needs refinement and you need more practice drawing groins.  I was going to say that for the underwear'd male figure from the other day, but figured I wouldn't... but now I can definitely say that this is something you should probably practice doing from a model, because these folks' junk is just awkward.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: February 10, 2012, 06:15:08 am »

Hmmm, other than them being too big (Waaay too big, there is only so much you can do once you pass anatomical, biological, and physical boundaries before no one can take the character seriously) there's also the image of her on the right... which just seems to imply, what with her pose and all, that her right breast is twice as big as her left one. Not to mention, she ought to be having back problems looking like that. Suspension of disbelief applies to character design too, but at least you seem to have the face and shoulders down well.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: February 10, 2012, 06:44:41 am »

i think the character was designed with sarcasm in mind. not exactly as something that should turn people on, but as a caricature of the characters who are designed to do just that

e: as long as we're talking about it... this is an old post, i think it might have been my only attempt at doing anything remotely similar to a sexualized female since i turned 15

i'm considering the creation of a thread dedicated to dwarf fortress fan service, specifically, the search for the elusive attractive dwarf(both female and male).

what are the forum artists' thoughts on the subject?

also, i present you Bembul, the dwarfette you could fall in love with, and her friend Bomrekl, the dwarf that isn't even trying to be atractive and is there just for comparission

(and my previous attempt at an "atractive" dwarf female, i wasn't trying very hard, tough, or more precisely, attractiveness wasn't her first atribute)

despite being mostly heterosexual, i tend to draw mostly males, and i generally dislike "exploitative" design choices, and by that i mean things like non-functional, non-realistic stuff designed to convey a sense of "pure awesomeness". i think oversized weapons etc. are kind of lame
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:54:58 am by Askot Bokbondeler »

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: February 10, 2012, 08:12:06 am »

Well, I haven't posted something here in a little while, so:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think it needs a little more sheen or something, I dunno! What do you people think?

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: February 10, 2012, 08:13:44 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:55:58 am by Ogdibus »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: February 10, 2012, 08:18:17 am »

D:  If this bothers you half as much as I think it does, it's still way too much.  I'm taking both of the pictures down, and I won't post more in the future.  There is no way I'm paying for access to a "crotch model", though.  It's just not cost effective.

Actually, there are a decent number of site that give nudes in various poses for art purposes.

http://fineart.sk/ is a good one. (NSFW, obviously)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:20:29 am by Japa »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: February 10, 2012, 08:43:13 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:56:18 am by Ogdibus »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: February 10, 2012, 09:07:35 am »

so it's hard to criticize them for anything other than maybe looking a little too "hard", as if they were made of metal or rock
if anything i'd take that as a compliment, it is dwarves we're talking about, after all

I looked at reference material enough to feel ashamed of doing it
if you still feel ashamed of it, then you haven't been doing it enough. pictures can still get you a long way when it comes to memorizing canonic proportions and all that. life drawing is more important to get better at objective drawing, but for character design photographs will do fine

i'm so over the shame that my sole source of income last year was posing as a model for the local art schools and ateliers, including my former classmates. i plan to move into illustrating children's books, though... and i'm just now realizing how that transition might sound awkward to some more conservative people.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: February 10, 2012, 11:51:59 am »

No, I'm not saying you need to get "hands-on experience," I'm saying that for some reason your crotch lines are always really weirdly shaped and over-emphasized, like you're wanting to draw junk instead of junk-inside stuff.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: February 10, 2012, 12:07:47 pm »

This is a bit old now, but I still ended up not quite happy with how these turned out, and I got some good crits and suggestions last time I was in here, so here goes: They're from my recent Impossible Island one week drawing binge and the last time I really tried to DRAW anything, which I should really start doing again. Mostly character portraits - I'm really completely unable to come up with anything on my own lately, it seems. :/
Every time I try something original, it just ends up seeming... generic.

So I guess ultimately the question is... if I start drawing again, what do I need to work on? Which direction should I head as far as things that need more practice? Also, someone just tell me what to draw next :P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 12:13:11 pm by GlyphGryph »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: February 10, 2012, 12:47:58 pm »

I know other people will say other things, but as for making your current pictures look nice, try to stop using the redrawn line effect. I used to do that, and you seem to have a lot of that effect in your drawings. Highly visible, single, clearly-defined lines look much better.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:49:56 pm by freeformschooler »
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 296