Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377907 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3570 on: February 08, 2012, 09:00:18 pm »

Oh. I've never actually heard that, so it's good to know.

Should I use one of the specialized things instead where you gradiate values using a tool? I forgot what they're called but I think I might have one upstairs. Or is there an even better method?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:01:58 pm by freeformschooler »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: February 08, 2012, 11:01:19 pm »

There are tools called smudgers (I'm not sure of the actual term), which is basically extremely tightly rolled paper shaped like a crayon that you can use to smudge your shading. You can use paper, but you need to be careful since it won't normally be as precise without the narrow tip the smudger would have.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: February 08, 2012, 11:39:23 pm »

There are tools called smudgers (I'm not sure of the actual term), which is basically extremely tightly rolled paper shaped like a crayon that you can use to smudge your shading. You can use paper, but you need to be careful since it won't normally be as precise without the narrow tip the smudger would have.
Blending stumps.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: February 09, 2012, 10:34:22 am »

Hehe, the last time I did a self portrait was in High School, in the brief time I did art class. Whilst almost all of my classmates threw together some bland, flat sketches which looked rather more like pieces of fruit than a human face, I (fancying myself quite the artist) agonized over it for ages, staring into that mirror and trying to shade gradually and avoid using unnatural outlines- I may have done some smudging, too, but just with a thumb, sorry- and after quite a while working on it I was finished.
Looking at it, my first thought was how horrible, ugly and misshapen it looked, and I was rather disappointed in my sketching failure... Then I glanced back in the mirror and realized it was a rather accurate self-portrait. :-[
Needless to say, I haven't tried drawing myself since. :P

More on-topic, I should be getting a drawing tablet in a day or two for my birthday, hopefully! :D No more sad thoughts from my lack of a working scanner.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: February 09, 2012, 12:37:58 pm »

More on-topic, I should be getting a drawing tablet in a day or two for my birthday, hopefully! :D No more sad thoughts from my lack of a working scanner.
After you have posted anything drawn with your new tablet here, duck and cover! :P
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:43:42 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #3575 on: February 09, 2012, 02:36:10 pm »

A long time since last time I drew anything and posted here.

I felt that this one came out pretty good though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: February 09, 2012, 02:40:58 pm »

Breasts don't do that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: February 09, 2012, 02:45:23 pm »

they do, if you're a hot chick

yeah, i just wanted to make that pun

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: February 09, 2012, 02:47:17 pm »

The form of the body is not bad (except for what Vector says, plus the bizarre toes), but it looks like someone took a red magic marker to her faceless head. Read what has been said earlier in the thread multiple times about symbol drawing.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:49:55 pm by freeformschooler »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: February 09, 2012, 02:51:07 pm »

The pose looks a little off in general. That left knee has a hell of a bulge, and the breasts look like jello, not to mention, the sternum line thing doesn't align with the center of her body, which I suppose you might get away with since you can say that they don't need to have the same portions as people do, buuut that's more reserved for horror stories.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: February 09, 2012, 03:04:24 pm »

Because this is one of my pet peeves, I'm going to keep going.

One of her hips is missing, as is the curve leading into it, not to mention that the bone of the hip is facing in the wrong direction in general.  She has no ribcage whatsoever, nor clavicle (since you've articulated the sexy part of her hipbones, you have to draw the rest of this stuff--that's how having a low body fat percentage works).  You've totally flattened out her trapezoidal muscles.  Her pectorals are extremely unbalanced and her armpit starts at two different places.  Too many toes.  The leg on the left needs to lead into the buttocks; women have a flattish spot between their legs, not just an angular fork.  Woman's got an enormous navel, which is poorly placed, and the length of the line leading up from it is way too long (it's supposed to be the articulation between abs, which doesn't keep going all the way into your ribcage).

Just... yeah, that entire torso area really, really wants you to help it out.  Look for pictures of actual naked women, and not ones with boob jobs, either (I assume this isn't a candid shot right before her implants explode?).  Like, actually look for a picture of a woman that doesn't adhere to the male gaze, which isn't about the sexual manipulation of form.  There's nothing wrong with T&A pics, and enjoying them.  There is a problem when the entire erogenous zone from pelvic mound to shoulders is reduced to a sexual symbol while the rest of the figure is drawn differently, which seems to be what's happening here.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #3581 on: February 09, 2012, 03:22:47 pm »

Thanks for the reply guys.

I honestly didn't see this at first.

I drew this based on a marvel figure and not from an actual woman, so I guess that is where it went wrong.

Let's see if I can fix this.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: February 09, 2012, 03:32:48 pm »

Well, there's your problem right there

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: February 09, 2012, 03:59:10 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:55:16 am by Ogdibus »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: February 09, 2012, 04:05:02 pm »

I forgot how much commentary T&A draws.  I should adopt some strategies that incorprate more optimally.

I think it's something that's just inherently off-putting to anyone when done improperly.

I won't doubt the alternative, though.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 296