Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377968 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3420 on: December 23, 2011, 12:47:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The elbow on the left isn't shaded properly. This makes it look like it is raised.

That's because it is. :p

Here's a recent WIP. I'd like opinions and feedback from people before I continue.

The neck isn't right where it meets the hair, it bumps outward.

Necks do this naturally, but I see what you mean.

The neck may also need a bit more thickness to it. It seems thin right now, but it may be right depending on the subject. The eyes aren't quite right. Eyes push outward on the eyelid because the eye isn't a sphere.I found a stock image to help show what I mean (ignore the watermark).

Note how the eyelid is pushed around where the iris is.

Alright.

Thanks for the feedback!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: December 26, 2011, 03:37:30 pm »

I been dabbling in pony art, but my mind is firmly set on robots. Hence, pony robot(s).

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: December 26, 2011, 05:27:35 pm »

Holy NUTS, I love it Sean! When you said "dabbling", I was expecting something less extravagant.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: December 26, 2011, 05:39:21 pm »

Well, it's pony art I'm dabbling in. Robots I've been drawing since forever.

That said, recently my pony art is also improving:

« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 05:42:13 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: December 27, 2011, 01:37:29 am »

Wow, it seems like everyone here is really, really serious and impressive.

I am not very serious.  I've pretty much drawn nothing in the past three or four years, and I have zero formal art training.  All the same, I did a little paper and pencil doodle today, because I've got three weeks before I have to be back at school--and with that much time, I might as well get back into sketching around.

It's supposed to be a bit of a sour and gray-feeling picture; right now, I'm being lax with myself on clothing design because I'm just trying to remember how to do this stuff.  Just experimenting around with face shapes and lines.

*shrog*

So, feel free to critique or say whatever, but please be gentle for now.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:05:07 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: December 27, 2011, 01:44:08 am »

For not doing any drawing in three or four years, that's hellaciously good. That said, that...robo...cup? Yeah, that. It's gonna fall over if you don't fix that right leg. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: December 27, 2011, 01:45:39 am »

For not doing any drawing in three or four years, that's hellaciously good. That said, that...robo...cup? Yeah, that. It's gonna fall over if you don't fix that right leg. :P

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out locomotions for the ... robot.  It had clock-spider legs, then tank treads, and now roller-skates-without-a-reference.

If anyone has a good idea for small fantasy robot leg things, I'm all ears.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: December 27, 2011, 01:47:48 am »

Query: What kind of scanner do you have, and what kind of pencil are you using? I usually lose a lot of detail. Then again, my stupid brain/eyes make(s) contrast hard to see. Maybe it's just me.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: December 27, 2011, 01:50:21 am »

Mechanical pencil, .7 lead or so.  Scanner is fairly recent.

No detail was lost on the robot feet--I actually had just kind of half-assed them and forgotten about it, because I was drawing in the back of a moving vehicle.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: December 27, 2011, 01:51:37 am »

Query: What kind of scanner do you have, and what kind of pencil are you using? I usually lose a lot of detail. Then again, my stupid brain/eyes make(s) contrast hard to see. Maybe it's just me.

Yea, I found that increasing the contrast digitally on anything I scan makes it look about a bajillion times better. Try that.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: December 27, 2011, 01:58:24 am »

Shit, you're right.  Looks a lot more like what's in my sketchbook, too.  BRB, correcting...

EDIT: Fixed up there.  Thanks, you guys~
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:05:23 am by Vector »

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: December 27, 2011, 03:39:42 am »

Wow, it seems like everyone here is really, really serious and impressive.

I am not very serious.  I've pretty much drawn nothing in the past three or four years, and I have zero formal art training.  All the same, I did a little paper and pencil doodle today, because I've got three weeks before I have to be back at school--and with that much time, I might as well get back into sketching around.

It's supposed to be a bit of a sour and gray-feeling picture; right now, I'm being lax with myself on clothing design because I'm just trying to remember how to do this stuff.  Just experimenting around with face shapes and lines.

*shrog*

So, feel free to critique or say whatever, but please be gentle for now.

Welcome. I'll try to be gentle.

Points to look at:

• There are multiple issues when it comes to space and position. The feet indicate that the "camera" is angled downwards to varying degrees (depending on which foot you look at). Then, that would mean that they are all tilted backward by their ankles, in clear defiance of gravity and common sense. An alternative explanation would be that they are standing on a rapidly undulating incline.

The root of the problem is that you do not have a clearly defined viewpoint/perspective, and that as a result, the positions of the components in the picture as well as the position of the ground is unclear. Insert vanishing points and define the horizon line (if needed), then draw the figures out into space using them.

• There is no indication of space or volume. Everything seems to rely on overlap. Relearn shading techniques, then read up on lighting and anatomy, then draw copiously from life.

• There is little to no defined anatomy - and I don't mean this in the super-realistic sense, either. The hair seems almost to be painted onto the skin of her head because of the size of her face and the miniscule amount you gave her hair, her shoulders and neck are unconvincingly done - as if the artist could only guess what they would look like. The rest of it is conveniently hidden by way of posture and baggy clothing.

I bet you don't know what her body looks like under/behind all that.

And I mean that literally. The reason you've hidden her under all that clothing is to avoid concerning yourself with anatomy and figures, right?

You shouldn't.

Every character should be able to pass the Naked Test (bottom of link), because being able to do that is essential to knowing how the clothing will drape and move on their body (especially with baggy clothing!) as well as being crucial for proper posture and movement.

There's just no getting around a proper grasp of anatomy. As you seem to lack this, possibly the best exercise for you would be to do some nude figure drawing, supplemented with piecewise studies of body parts that you're weak on.

After that, you'll find your characters markedly improving, even without much concern about drape.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: December 27, 2011, 03:53:43 am »

I agree on the space/position/lighting thing, which I never learned anything about whatsoever--do you have any specific tutorials to recommend?  However, I "hid her under all that clothing" because I really despise drawing T&A pictures at this point.  There is really only so many times you can carefully render a shapely bust.

*shrug*

Another doodle tomorrow, I guess.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: December 27, 2011, 03:57:58 am »

I agree on the space/position/lighting thing, which I never learned anything about whatsoever--do you have any specific tutorials to recommend?

I'd recommend Life, but as for supplementary content, there's quite a few in the OP.

However, I "hid her under all that clothing" because I really despise drawing T&A pictures at this point.  There is really only so many times you can carefully render a shapely bust.

Then don't. Why do subjects have to be representatives of the ideal?

Draw someone flat-chested, someone fat, someone ugly, someone old. Draw that crazy harpy next door who won't do her dishes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: December 27, 2011, 07:30:53 am »

*shrug*

Okie-doke.  Here's my hand.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:35:03 am by Vector »

Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 296