Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378008 times)

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3405 on: December 17, 2011, 04:16:49 pm »

Aye, thanks for the advice, just "finished" this, playing with some settings and what not.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 04:30:13 pm by Dbuhos »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: December 17, 2011, 04:23:23 pm »

By the way, lots of great digital art-related video tutorials can be found at Feng Zhu School of Design's Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: December 17, 2011, 06:26:08 pm »

Aye, thanks for the advice, just "finished" this, playing with some settings and what not.

This is unclear enough that I can't see whether the torso is showing the front or back and what orientation each limb is. I'm not sure what to say for this besides "draw more from life".

I suggest you grab the few books by Andrew Loomis, they're free and quite well written for such old things, plus it's great fun (atleast it was for me) to gradually build upon some things, like starting from cartoonish ball shaped heads and working from there to more realistic and complex stuff.

You can grab them here :)

Also kind of working up a story with my last two pieces, I hope I have enough skill to make it to the end, atleast it's fun making up stuff and trying to incorporate it into other stuff ^^

Improvements to make:

• Determine space and volume properly
  • Determine scale & perspective
  • Determine light source in space and render proper lighting
  • Determine focus and remove attention from other parts of the image
  • Put some more effort into composition

Additionally, the image is rather static/dull. I'd suggest a more varied palette, the above and a proper setting instead of a flat void.

I can't help you much more, I'm afraid - not much of a painter (though I'm working to improve that).

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: December 17, 2011, 10:09:11 pm »

I'm a complete noob at drawing but hey, practice makes perfect right?

Been messing with colour layers and stuff.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Kastrol Aslaasri

• Bay Watcher
  • Endut! Hoch Hech!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: December 17, 2011, 11:35:46 pm »

I have never posted here, though I've posted some stuff in the "fan art" topic in DF General Discussion.

So, here I go.

She was also sad that her father's corpse was rotting in his bedroom, but that's a minor inconvenience.
I love this game so much.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #3410 on: December 19, 2011, 09:28:37 am »

I got no good critique to give, but I just wanted to say I definitely like your drawings.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: December 19, 2011, 01:57:34 pm »

The lighting on the golem is a bit inconsistent. The main sphere of the body should have the lighting higher up around the head area. The lighting on the thigh armor is also off. The shadows go out too far, as if the lighting were either directly above or behind it.

Fantastic images though. I'm good at shading and lighting, but I lack the linework you have.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: December 19, 2011, 02:28:54 pm »

Hey guys, not entirely sure if this is the kind of artwork people post here, but I'm looking for critiques on the stuff I've been doing for the Orthoclase thread. Had a productive critique session with one of my images the other day that made it a lot better, catching things I didn't even notice, so figured it might be worth a go.

Here's what I'm working on now that I think is pretty good, though critique is still appreciated:

And the following, imo, need the most help, but I've not had much luck:

Aside from Perlihorn, which needs a better nose/snout, the problem with the second batch is that while I don't like how they came out, I cant specifically point to anything wrong with them. :/ Just a general sense that something is "off".
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 02:33:40 pm by GlyphGryph »

Kastrol Aslaasri

• Bay Watcher
  • Endut! Hoch Hech!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: December 19, 2011, 04:15:36 pm »

The lighting on the golem is a bit inconsistent. The main sphere of the body should have the lighting higher up around the head area. The lighting on the thigh armor is also off. The shadows go out too far, as if the lighting were either directly above or behind it.

Fantastic images though. I'm good at shading and lighting, but I lack the linework you have.

Thanks!
I added the background with the lightning later, so the shadows/lights are totally out of place.
This is one of the things I'm trying to improve: light effects and shading.
I always liked comic books, clean pencils like J. Scott Campbell, so I need to work on coloring a little more.
I'm thinking on doing some speedpaints to work on that =D

She was also sad that her father's corpse was rotting in his bedroom, but that's a minor inconvenience.
I love this game so much.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: December 20, 2011, 01:49:53 pm »

Did another drawing based on a doodle I did. Didn't finish it as I didn't like the shading, but posting anyway:
Do you prefer drawings with the lines left in:
Or taken out?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:52:24 pm by alfie275 »
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: December 20, 2011, 05:21:29 pm »

Did another drawing based on a doodle I did. Didn't finish it as I didn't like the shading, but posting anyway:
Do you prefer drawings with the lines left in:
Or taken out?

If you refine the lines I'd leave them in, but as it stands I like it without the lines. The window needs to be implied in the lighting, whether it's from light glaring off of it, discolored glass, or a frame that holds it in.

And the following, imo, need the most help, but I've not had much luck:

Aside from Perlihorn, which needs a better nose/snout, the problem with the second batch is that while I don't like how they came out, I cant specifically point to anything wrong with them. :/ Just a general sense that something is "off".

Lets see what I can do to help.

Creeper: Try thinning and shortening the body and elongating the legs. It was never intended to be anything but voxel art so drawing it as is is only going to be trouble.

Pony: Raise the mouth a little, and remove the area where the shadows are on the head. The head is too bulky at the jaw and removing the shadowed area should fix it. I know it's suppose to be a MLP pony, but try drawing the head as a normal pony and then change it. Reshade once you think the head is right. The pony's left front leg is too thick, you either need to bulk up the other legs or thin the one.

Penguins: Move the mask back slightly and make the skull a bit more evident to match the moved mask. Other than that you can try adding feet and removing a bit from the bottom.

I hope that helps.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: December 20, 2011, 05:34:08 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:20:14 am by Ogdibus »

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3417 on: December 21, 2011, 12:30:05 pm »

Didn't know where to post this since it's a video, and there is no section for this...or I don't even. Anyways.
I just saw The Hobbit trailer and fell in love with the music, so I though "Hey, this could work for a DF montage thing". So I began syncing and stuff.

So

HERE

it is.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: December 23, 2011, 11:37:55 am »

Here's a recent WIP. I'd like opinions and feedback from people before I continue.
It's all with a 2B this time, since this is too fine work for a 4B and I generally abhor pencils that are HB or lighter (but you probably don't care about that).

There's also that last drawing I posted that nobody replied to (was it really that bad?).

I have never posted here, though I've posted some stuff in the "fan art" topic in DF General Discussion.

Welcome.

Check your geometry (especially in the collar region).

As mentioned, lighting is inconsistent. The background is rather sloppy, and the shapes on the robot are flat. I suggest more variation in light/tone.

Remove unnecessary/clashing lines (look at the lapel on the left) and add differentiation where necessary (look how unnatural/flat her left horn appears to be).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:48:13 pm by lordnincompoop »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: December 23, 2011, 12:11:19 pm »

The elbow on the left isn't shaded properly. This makes it look like it is raised.

Here's a recent WIP. I'd like opinions and feedback from people before I continue.

The neck isn't right where it meets the hair, it bumps outward. The neck may also need a bit more thickness to it. It seems thin right now, but it may be right depending on the subject. The eyes aren't quite right. Eyes push outward on the eyelid because the eye isn't a sphere.I found a stock image to help show what I mean (ignore the watermark).

Note how the eyelid is pushed around where the iris is.

Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 296