Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378038 times)

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3375 on: November 14, 2011, 10:48:29 am »

2) People have REALLY WEIRD noses. I mean REALLY guys.

This is a deep truth. Bodies are really fucking weird. Cherish it.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: November 14, 2011, 02:37:37 pm »

If you are having trouble with speed don't bother with details. Start off with quick gestural shapes of people, just try to get a feel for a certain pose with a few quick lines. Then start a bit more detailed stuff, mainly getting down the shape of a person, the figure itself in various poses (this is really good if you want to practice more active poses, go find a playing field or something where a lot of movement happens and practice as long as you need). Once you've got the figure down start working on specific parts of the body, looking at hands, feet, heads and the other stuff and how it works in certain poses and situation, and finally you put it all together to get a complete person :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: November 14, 2011, 02:52:52 pm »

-snip- nah i wont post anything here until i am better

An attitude that you'll benefit from by changing. One of the reasons we're here is to scream and yell at each other until we improve. From what I can tell, you don't seem to have anyone else to be there for you (not even an art teacher, which I find exceedingly strange), and you've said repeatedly that you lack the ability to see areas of improvement for yourself - losing the benefit of external input, then, will stunt your growth.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: November 14, 2011, 03:50:50 pm »

An attitude that you'll benefit from by changing. One of the reasons we're here is to scream and yell at each other until we improve. From what I can tell, you don't seem to have anyone else to be there for you (not even an art teacher, which I find exceedingly strange), and you've said repeatedly that you lack the ability to see areas of improvement for yourself - losing the benefit of external input, then, will stunt your growth.

Actually, I do have other external sources of improvement. I enjoy getting critique here, but not on things that I haven't put a massive amount of work into. Those I save for my artistically oriented friends (and actual art teacher, which I do have, but not regularly), because it's quicker and easier. I should not say "until I am better" but "until I have something bigger". I won't edit stuff out like that any more though, so attitude advice acknowledged (AAA?)

If you are having trouble with speed don't bother with details. Start off with quick gestural shapes of people, just try to get a feel for a certain pose with a few quick lines. Then start a bit more detailed stuff, mainly getting down the shape of a person, the figure itself in various poses (this is really good if you want to practice more active poses, go find a playing field or something where a lot of movement happens and practice as long as you need). Once you've got the figure down start working on specific parts of the body, looking at hands, feet, heads and the other stuff and how it works in certain poses and situation, and finally you put it all together to get a complete person :)

Thanks. I am actually preparing to do that right now, I've been doing gestural stuff at coffee shops since yesterday. Everyone's advice is good :)

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3379 on: November 15, 2011, 05:18:05 pm »

Normally I do not double post, but this is an achievement post and I have something to show.

So I drew from real life a whole bunch today. I went to a coffee shop and drew people, but they kept moving, so the drawings were only shaped somewhat more properly than my regular shit ones. At least the poses were awesome, because people sit strangely in chairs. Then I went home and drew things there.

I learned some things the hard way:

1) THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO ESCAPE THE VALLEY OF SUCK.
2) People have REALLY WEIRD noses. I mean REALLY guys.
3) I am nowhere near as fast with a pencil as LNCP. I will work on that.
4) My scanner is the suck. I drew my TV set in the living room, which is actually really nice. However the top got cut off a little (even though it was already cut off due to the size of my pad) and so did the right side, which was disappointing because I liked how the shadows came out on that side. Also it got rotated counter clockwise a bit. Either way...

Yes, drawing in coffee shops or malls is a pretty good way to improve your skill. People tend to sit and make poses that are kinda hard to comprehend and understand from all the angles, leading usually to anatomy mistakes, but the weirder the poses, the better the practice.

You can also always ask a friend to pose for you, so you can the feeling for proportions and anatomy. I have to disagree with you on the subject from earlier... You said you can't "see it" like it's something you can't do and will never be able to. Seeing the world like an artist, catching many little things that "normal" people don't see is something you have to learn too, it's not something we're born with or without.

After getting the hang of the figure, move on to more and more details, and eventually the face, which is the easiest to mess up when aiming for realism. If you or the model aren't comfortable with you drawing them, you can always find lots of reference pictures on the net. Many sites have stock photos made for artists to use as a reference. Just be sure to give them the proper credit  ;) Some artists even work in front of a mirror and draw themselves sitting, but that's kinda strange to me, so I don't know if it's a good way to practice.

Also you got me curious about the weird noises people made :D Anything in particular worth sharing?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: November 15, 2011, 08:18:28 pm »

I've been drawing trolls. This is such utter nonsense.

Well, beats not drawing, I guess.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: November 15, 2011, 09:07:09 pm »

I'm pretty sure the bosom does not go at the bottom of her ribcage - especially at the age she is.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: November 16, 2011, 02:22:32 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:09:03 am by Ogdibus »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: November 16, 2011, 08:45:52 am »

Yeah, it's what happens when you don't wear a push-up bra

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: November 16, 2011, 12:31:27 pm »

It's fairly common, but it doesn't conform to any popular ideal of beauty.  It's a pretty easy thing to hide, too.  The trouble with depicting it, is that it makes a lot of people a little uncomfortable.  It's a cultural quirk, I guess.

Yeah, it's what happens when you don't wear a push-up bra

They sag, sure, but don't start at the bottom of the ribcage, as the picture seems to imply.

It's also inaccurate.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: November 16, 2011, 12:41:13 pm »

Looks like they are starting just under the armpit, which is correct. It's a little wonky looking, but I don't see where you're getting the 'starting under the ribcage' part from.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: November 16, 2011, 12:52:43 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:09:25 am by Ogdibus »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: November 16, 2011, 03:17:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure the bosom does not go at the bottom of her ribcage - especially at the age she is.

Exceedingly good point. Now that I look at it more, I'm also seeing some perspective errors.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: November 21, 2011, 02:30:44 pm »

I have an exam tommorrow (it's not too hard, just boring), and while I'm minding my own buisness casually studying I get that feeling, you know it, that creeping feeling of dread just before you get hit with a truck full of inspiration medicine and it washes all over you and turns you into a super inspired mutant, ofcourse it's rather curable but it wont' let you off the hook that easily XD

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: November 21, 2011, 03:15:39 pm »

Reminds me of the Spirit Temple in Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Or maybe a Lovecraftian monster city, except it looks too serene for one of those. :)

Those steps are far too big for that little human silhouette to use.
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 296