Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378059 times)

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3360 on: November 05, 2011, 07:49:34 pm »

Oh what the heck, I'm just gonna cross post this here. I've got a loooooong way to go but this is better than everything before. Especially that stuff LNCP used to see me post on the IRC channel :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Background is really lazy, especially the water. I may touch that up later on.

E: BLUR SOLVES ALL MY PROBLEMS

Cute style, I like it. You say it's from a long time ago, so how long are we talking about? And do you have any more recent art?

Anyway, been playing some more in photoshop. Messed up the eyes, and in a fit of rage proceeded demonizing the rest of the pic. I'm actually pleased with the results, even if I felt like a schizophrenic while making it.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: November 05, 2011, 08:32:57 pm »

Oh what the heck, I'm just gonna cross post this here. I've got a loooooong way to go but this is better than everything before. Especially that stuff LNCP used to see me post on the IRC channel :P

Cute style, I like it. You say it's from a long time ago, so how long are we talking about? And do you have any more recent art?

Anyway, been playing some more in photoshop. Messed up the eyes, and in a fit of rage proceeded demonizing the rest of the pic. I'm actually pleased with the results, even if I felt like a schizophrenic while making it.

Thanks. I didn't say it's from a long time ago; I said I've still got a long way to go. I do. I suck. Here's some recent art.

Also, your thing is good but creepy.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:34:51 pm by freeformschooler »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: November 05, 2011, 10:04:51 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:50:24 am by Ogdibus »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: November 05, 2011, 10:13:13 pm »

Thanks, Ogdibus. I get what you're saying and it really helps - I'll apply it to the next serious drawing I do.

I don't personally like my bridge scene because the human-shaped guy is so flat. IMO it detracts from the rest of the picture. The Koopas turned out really well though. Heh, I'm definitely continuing that.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: November 05, 2011, 10:51:50 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:50:34 am by Ogdibus »

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: November 06, 2011, 05:28:08 am »

You can be very pleased with that thing, I think it's impressive.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 05:55:43 am by Antsan »
Taste my Paci-Fist

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3366 on: November 06, 2011, 08:29:28 am »

Thanks. I didn't say it's from a long time ago; I said I've still got a long way to go. I do. I suck. Here's some recent art.

Oops, don't know how I managed to misread that :P Well, all artists strive for improvement and perfection, even the best ones. Practice makes perfect, I guess.

Also, is that Homestuck fanart? The perspective and depth are better, but it still has some anatomy mistakes that can be easily made, but the ones that you really shouldn't do. The most obvious are the hands. The fingers shouldn't all have the same length. Someone posted a hand tutorial about a few pages ago. Check it out, it's has some useful advice.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: November 06, 2011, 08:51:12 am »

Oops, don't know how I managed to misread that :P Well, all artists strive for improvement and perfection, even the best ones. Practice makes perfect, I guess.

Also, is that Homestuck fanart? The perspective and depth are better, but it still has some anatomy mistakes that can be easily made, but the ones that you really shouldn't do. The most obvious are the hands. The fingers shouldn't all have the same length. Someone posted a hand tutorial about a few pages ago. Check it out, it's has some useful advice.

Yeah, I screwed them hands up. Originally the fingers were dramatically different lengths, but there was waaay too much finger vs palm. Now only the thumbs are different due to an oversight during correcting. Normally I'm pretty good at getting the finger lengths right. Though I am interested in the other anatomy mistakes - I know I got the nose wrong, what else did I miss?

Unlike most of the people in here, I am not artistically talented, so anatomy is important to me, because I can't just "see" it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 08:52:51 am by freeformschooler »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: November 10, 2011, 07:07:10 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 06:50:52 am by Ogdibus »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: November 12, 2011, 09:21:54 am »

Here's something I whipped up to test a new method of shading. The linework is not so hot (look at the way the belt-area, groin and upper leg leg are angled, notably. The hand is a tad too big, too, but I guess it's better than a too-small hand. I have no excuses for the poorly angled feet-blobs.), but at least it looks more "3D" than my other stuff.

I played all four of those GBA games. They were amazing.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 10:11:27 am by freeformschooler »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: November 12, 2011, 06:20:18 pm »

My internet has been very shite lately so I couldn't upload much stuff, so have another hooded dude.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: November 13, 2011, 11:04:32 am »

Whoops doublepost :P
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: November 13, 2011, 01:07:23 pm »

Here's something I whipped up to test a new method of shading. The linework is not so hot (look at the way the belt-area, groin and upper leg leg are angled, notably. The hand is a tad too big, too, but I guess it's better than a too-small hand. I have no excuses for the poorly angled feet-blobs.), but at least it looks more "3D" than my other stuff.

I played all four of those GBA games. They were amazing.

Perhaps more foundational figure drawing would be beneficial. You seem to be lacking in the fact that you don't really know what a person looks like, let alone how the body works.

Best advice I can give to practice on proportion and figures is to grab a pencil, go to a museum and sketch statues, or sketch the people looking at the statues until the security guards have to force you out.

Note also how this character seems to be standing on an incline, how his feet are dramatically bigger than his pelvis and thighs, how his head is bigger than his pelvis, how his hands are wider than his waist, how his back is inhumanly straight, how his lower arm is not only larger than his shoulder and his upper arm combined but larger even than his face, and how his lower legs are larger than his entire torso.

His face, though less of a concern in comparison to the bizarre features of his body, consists of anime-eyes (which, for now, you should avoid), a little black triangle for a nose and a horizontal blip to symbolise the face. That is not what a face looks like. You need to get past simply drawing symbols instead of faces. They're recogniseable, sure, but only barely - and with them, you'll languish forever in the city of Not Artists, straddling the Valley of Suck.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: November 13, 2011, 02:57:01 pm »

-snip i got my advice-
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 03:02:56 pm by freeformschooler »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: November 13, 2011, 07:28:53 pm »

Normally I do not double post, but this is an achievement post and I have something to show.

So I drew from real life a whole bunch today. I went to a coffee shop and drew people, but they kept moving, so the drawings were only shaped somewhat more properly than my regular shit ones. At least the poses were awesome, because people sit strangely in chairs. Then I went home and drew things there.

I learned some things the hard way:

1) THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO ESCAPE THE VALLEY OF SUCK.
2) People have REALLY WEIRD noses. I mean REALLY guys.
3) I am nowhere near as fast with a pencil as LNCP. I will work on that.
4) My scanner is the suck. I drew my TV set in the living room, which is actually really nice. However the top got cut off a little (even though it was already cut off due to the size of my pad) and so did the right side, which was disappointing because I liked how the shadows came out on that side. Also it got rotated counter clockwise a bit. Either way...

-snip- nah i wont post anything here until i am better
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:51:45 pm by freeformschooler »
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 296