Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378066 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3345 on: October 28, 2011, 09:08:35 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:53:43 am by Ogdibus »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: October 28, 2011, 09:10:01 pm »

It actually looks like it's going pretty well,  if a little slow, which is normal if you're not used to the type of subject that you're modeling.

Yeah, I'm not working on this full time, I just do little spurts every day or so.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: October 29, 2011, 02:37:14 am »

Very nice, the loops all look good, except, as you probably already know, around the ears. if you would want them animated, you would need an edge loop ring circling their base, otherwise the head will deform as well.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: October 29, 2011, 02:43:17 am »

Oh, thanks, that hadn't occurred to me.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: October 30, 2011, 09:40:13 am »

Since you guys are pretty much experienced in digital art, would you kindly criticize the living fuck out of me?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: October 30, 2011, 10:50:14 am »

Since you guys are pretty much experienced in digital art, would you kindly criticize the living fuck out of me?

Why don't you start with more traditional techniques instead and go from there? You look like you need a brush up on certain basics that you won't necessarily learn here.

Go make a few studies from life, using pencil or whatever. Get a hold of  an art teacher and talk to him/her.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: October 30, 2011, 12:43:34 pm »

Nothing wrong with your stylus technique, but the anatomy is a bit spotty. The guy's head is strangely asymmetric, kind of like you never quite decided on a perspective, and the way its connected to his torso just looks weird.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: October 30, 2011, 04:45:35 pm »

Why don't you start with more traditional techniques instead and go from there? You look like you need a brush up on certain basics that you won't necessarily learn here.

Go make a few studies from life, using pencil or whatever. Get a hold of  an art teacher and talk to him/her.

You mean I need to stay out of digital for now? Ok, got it.
Not sure about the art teacher part, however. Several major issues prevent me from executing this part of your advice: the fact that all available art classes in the local area are for children, the fact that the only art school in my hometown is for children (and I'm too old to apply), the incredibly busy schedule at my school leaving very few time for any possible art courses, etc.

Nothing wrong with your stylus technique, but the anatomy is a bit spotty. The guy's head is strangely asymmetric, kind of like you never quite decided on a perspective, and the way its connected to his torso just looks weird.

Thanks for pointing that out.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: October 30, 2011, 06:17:21 pm »

You mean I need to stay out of digital for now? Ok, got it.
Not sure about the art teacher part, however. Several major issues prevent me from executing this part of your advice: the fact that all available art classes in the local area are for children, the fact that the only art school in my hometown is for children (and I'm too old to apply), the incredibly busy schedule at my school leaving very few time for any possible art courses, etc.

A formal art teacher is not entirely necessary, but some form of guidance usually helps very much.

Digital painting is often something a lot of people try to do without the necessary experience generally speaking, thinking that if they go out and buy a fancy tablet it'll somehow make up for their shitty drawing skills. The thing is, it won't, and they'll fail repeatedly until they gain that basic experience somehow.

The method of just picking up a pencil and "going out there", so to speak, seems to be underrated. That's how a lot of art was done and is still being done today, even in those fancy art schools. Learn anatomy from drawing real people, shading from basic lighting studies and so forth - practice and first-hand experience helps immensely, and digital art discourages the use of real-life references by the simple fact that instead of looking at the world like you should be doing (since, after all, you're trying to render the world), you're sitting cooped up indoors behind a shitty artificial computer screen, plastic stylus in hand or what-have-you.

Hell, pick up some drawing/painting books from the bookstore and read those. Pick up some watercolours if you want and try that.

As for the current situation, I agree with Soadreqm's assessment that you're lacking in anatomy. However, I'd like to build on to that by saying that you should additionally be drawing with real references until you get an intuitive grasp of it (I'm currently pursuing anatomy studies too, and my teachers have all encouraged me to do real-life studies as much as possible). This does not necessarily have to entail finished pieces, shading, composition and all that - just make a bunch of sketches.

While you do that, it'll help to study existing works and various guides on anatomy - though you can certainly discover much of their advice by yourself, having a jumping off point works too - just don't substitute reading for actual, DIY work and study. Here are some good starting guides for anatomy: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 (a collection of books).

You also probably want to take your work somewhere with more professional artists. ConceptArt.org can help you with that.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: October 31, 2011, 10:04:55 am »

Oh what the heck, I'm just gonna cross post this here. I've got a loooooong way to go but this is better than everything before. Especially that stuff LNCP used to see me post on the IRC channel :P

Background is really lazy, especially the water. I may touch that up later on.

E: BLUR SOLVES ALL MY PROBLEMS
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:21:27 am by freeformschooler »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: November 01, 2011, 03:33:46 pm »

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #3356 on: November 01, 2011, 03:59:32 pm »

The hair! Not the Hair!
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: November 01, 2011, 04:09:13 pm »

That hair looks horrible. And the white specks in the background make it look like it's spraying dandruff everywhere.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: November 01, 2011, 04:55:26 pm »

*Has a flashback to trying to get dynamic hair to behave properly...* D: The horror! The horror!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: November 01, 2011, 06:33:04 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 05:54:36 am by Ogdibus »
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 296