Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378129 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3270 on: October 04, 2011, 03:29:10 pm »

I'm looking for artists who might be willing to contribute to a project I'm working on. Figured this would be a good place to post to let people know about it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3271 on: October 06, 2011, 06:51:05 pm »

This one's really huge, so I'll post a link.

My first real attempt at digital drawings that aren't pixel art. This piece's... different from how I usually draw, so I wanted to hear your opinion. It's my latest embark party. I'm only afraid that they look too human, I'm new to drawing dwarves.

Also, the art on this thread is epic! You guys are awesome!

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3272 on: October 08, 2011, 10:24:19 am »

Oh dear Christ Paint Tool SAI might just be the program that will finally wean me off Flash.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spent an hour or so just messing with the brushes and blending modes. It's so smooth to paint with and even on my shitty 2GB RAM it doesn't stutter like Photoshop. Aaaaaah. <3
Also known as Zuhayr.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: October 08, 2011, 12:33:48 pm »

PTSAI eh? Tried that once a while back. Didn't impress. Going to try it out again now though.

I like the TAU critter.  :)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: October 08, 2011, 02:03:47 pm »

No idea what PTSAI is. Photoshop works for me so far.

Trying to learn something from a "Learn to draw Manga" handbook:

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: October 08, 2011, 03:31:20 pm »

Oh yes. Hands are defenitely a major pain to draw. Practice makes perfect I guess?

Also, these:
http://www.anticz.com/handtut.htm
http://www.cedarseed.com/fire/handstut.html

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3276 on: October 10, 2011, 07:22:13 pm »

@Svampapa
Thanks for the tutorials. It was a quick read and helped me understand some of poses our hands make. Spent some time drawing my left hand later. :P

I've been experimenting with photoshop again, and the results were rather okay, although a bit silly.

This is the first version. A werewolf and a girl clinging onto a vine for their dear life. They do slide down to safety eventually, somehow.
Another version in which I corrected the werewolf's expression and added some background and other details.

jrmy

• Bay Watcher
  • on break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: October 10, 2011, 08:51:37 pm »

Oh dear Christ Paint Tool SAI might just be the program that will finally wean me off Flash.

Spent an hour or so just messing with the brushes and blending modes. It's so smooth to paint with and even on my shitty 2GB RAM it doesn't stutter like Photoshop. Aaaaaah. <3

haha yeah, I tried PTS a little while ago and none of my art friends understood why I fell so completely in love with it. there's just something about how the brush feels..

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: October 11, 2011, 12:50:31 pm »

Also, the hands. The horrible, horrible hands. Why can't I properly draw something I'm drawing with?[/spoiler]

The main problem is that the thumb position isn't natural; it's facing roughly the same direction as the other fingers, when it should be an opposable digit like IRL. Thus, the natural position would be having it facing roughly perpendicular (I can't describe it well - try drawing from reference and finding something that looks natural to you). Additionally, the hand's resting position is not with the fingers curled like that. Again, look at real people and draw their real hands.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: October 12, 2011, 11:41:30 pm »

I've been leaning heavily on the free OpenCanvas for a lot of the same reasons that y'all love Sai - love the feel of the brush and how it's less resource-intensive than Photoshop. The only downside is it only really supports multiply layers. I've found the limitation to be more beneficial than harmful for quick digital painting, though.

I really need to give Sai a decent test run. When I installed the trial, I forgot I had it for most of those 30 days. :b
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: October 13, 2011, 06:23:32 am »

PTSAI still don't have my vote. Spent an hour or so playing around, still can't set up the kind of brushes I like.

I'd say it does the same thing that Artrage and all the other "artsy fartsy" software does. The brushes act too much like real life painting, which is just stupid in a digital environment.

Plus, if I'm going to fork out monays to buy one of the more "real artsy feel" paint programs it would probably be Sketchbook, which I liked despite the artsy fartsy brushes. And despite it being published by evil, evil autodesk.  :P

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3281 on: October 13, 2011, 12:47:13 pm »

The brushes act too much like real life painting, which is just stupid in a digital environment.

I suspect what you were trying to say was 'not what I look for in a digital painting program'. The pseudorealistic blending in SAI is something I consider a benefit.
Also known as Zuhayr.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: October 13, 2011, 02:30:36 pm »

Made this one to be "towns" background main menu:

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: October 13, 2011, 02:46:48 pm »

oh sweet.

You should totally make a stonesense tileset.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: October 13, 2011, 02:52:12 pm »

Made this one to be "towns" background main menu:

This thing reminds me of Minecraft.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 296