Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378202 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3210 on: August 08, 2011, 08:09:00 pm »

I don't think the sailor is artificial or out of place looking, but I thought it was a woman in tea-time clothes until you said "sailor".
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: August 08, 2011, 09:53:10 pm »

Just a heads up, I am unable to see the sailor picture.
I art with letters and stuff okay? I want to try that sometime.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: August 09, 2011, 06:01:32 am »

A voracious cave crawler is 900,000 cm3, but it's really long. A dwarf is only 60,000 cm3. Anybody care to help me guess at how big a dwarf would be standing next to this cave crawler?
Well, that's a factor of fifteen, so if you divide the cave-crawler into that many segments, your dwarf would be about the same volume as one of them. Perhaps you can try imagining a freshly cut piece being turned to clay, moulded into the shape of a dwarf, then brought to life; or about 7/8ths a tall as the crawler's head.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can get a proper reference or do the environment more convincingly/atmospherically, I'd love to hear it.
Is it supposed to be a storm scene? Or just a calm night? My memories of visiting reefs and ocean cliffs on clear days tell me that although the beaches are calm, once you reach landmasses past the shoals, the waves and rocks are already deadly. So adding a storm to that would send water blasts up over clifftops (assuming the blurred stuff you have near the top are cliffs and trees), along with creating those hills and gullies of water. (Google doesn't give you any reference images of stormy shoals and reefs?)
 As for the sailor, it seems like you aught to define what he's supposed to be doing, as it looks like he's sitting on the edge of the boat doing a little dance (what else do you do when you're out of oars? :] ). Shouldn't his left sleeve have his shadow over it if he's holding onto the boat, whereas his right catches what little light there is?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: August 10, 2011, 12:16:36 am »

A logical way to portray the cave crawler would be (basically) a cylinder with the diameter of a dwarf's height and 15 times that in length. I imagine dwarves as being pretty close to square.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: August 21, 2011, 05:39:10 pm »

And we fly back onto the first page with it!!!

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3215 on: August 22, 2011, 05:37:08 am »

General idea of how a Hollow could look like.
Just got a tablet (Bamboo Pen), any tips on how to get better ? :)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: August 22, 2011, 06:03:56 am »

do hollows actually walk upright? i'd figure they'd be a slumbering mass of rotting skin, like a slug with barely recognisable humanoid features

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3217 on: August 22, 2011, 07:13:26 am »

Well, a slime of rotting skin makes as much sense as a humanoid shaped rotting skin, in my view.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: August 22, 2011, 07:22:33 am »

do hollows actually walk upright? i'd figure they'd be a slumbering mass of rotting skin, like a slug with barely recognisable humanoid features
Well, as they're similar to skeletons, and those aren't generally viewed as rattling piles of random bones but in an (magically enhanced) erect humanoid shape, I gather the Hollows are humanoid as well.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: August 22, 2011, 08:40:10 am »

hum, bones have a little more structural strength, and df skeletons still have tendons holding the bones in place, if i remember right... eh, we'll have to wait to see who's proven right

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3220 on: August 22, 2011, 12:41:33 pm »

Not like realism really matters...

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: August 22, 2011, 06:31:51 pm »

I was requested to draw "a Frog/Shark hybrid with lightning powers." I think I managed it pretty well.

I guess it's a fantroll? Eh, who cares. I guess I could erase the horns to make it just a regular creepy clown lady in bondage gear.

As you can see, I was far too busy to look up a reference for the hands.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: August 30, 2011, 02:12:24 pm »

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: August 30, 2011, 04:11:39 pm »

Getting a Princess Mononoke vibe from that one. I like it!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: August 30, 2011, 04:13:47 pm »

I find that cave inappropriately placed. : /

: P
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 296