Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378284 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #3120 on: June 12, 2011, 01:18:52 pm »

The trees are too tiny and too BORING. Seriously those are some of the laziest trees I've seen. The floor tiles have a huge square design that makes the tiling really obvious. Ideally, you want to create the illusion that the floor isn't made of 32x32 blocks, so that's not really a good thing. The bright yellow flowers on the bright green grass are too high-contrast; terrain should fade into the background so that important things are visible.

I don't really know all that much about making pixel art, but that's the obvious things I can spot. I'm pretty sure that someone linked this blog a few pages back that took some examples of gorgeous pixel art from SNES games and examined just why they looked gorgeous. No way I'll ever be able to find it again, of course. :P

edit: Oh, wow, I did find it.

another edit, several days later: This thread is going kind of slow.
Spoiler: I drew a thing again. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:04:47 pm by Soadreqm »

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3121 on: June 21, 2011, 08:14:34 pm »

The trees are too tiny and too BORING. Seriously those are some of the laziest trees I've seen. The floor tiles have a huge square design that makes the tiling really obvious. Ideally, you want to create the illusion that the floor isn't made of 32x32 blocks, so that's not really a good thing. The bright yellow flowers on the bright green grass are too high-contrast; terrain should fade into the background so that important things are visible.

I don't really know all that much about making pixel art, but that's the obvious things I can spot. I'm pretty sure that someone linked this blog a few pages back that took some examples of gorgeous pixel art from SNES games and examined just why they looked gorgeous. No way I'll ever be able to find it again, of course. :P

edit: Oh, wow, I did find it.

Wow, this has been really helpful so far!  Thanks for the link.  The project is due 6 pm tomorrow, so I suppose I'll post the sheet again once it's in its final form.  The trees still look kind of crappy tiled the way I have them, but it's far better than it was before.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #3122 on: June 21, 2011, 08:38:47 pm »

Derekristow: I look forward to seeing your results!

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: June 23, 2011, 01:43:59 pm »

Played around with trying to achieve a statue like look..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #3124 on: June 23, 2011, 02:04:04 pm »

I think it looks cool.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: June 23, 2011, 02:46:27 pm »

I'm always a fan of styles with obvious brush strokes, though I'm less a fan of the filter-y look. It'd be a great statue for the entrance of any fortress. 8)
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: June 24, 2011, 05:08:24 am »

Been drawing some sprites for modding into a space-themed computer game. Thought I would post some of the work here, hope y'all don't mind ...

SKETCH:

INKED:

SPRITE:

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: June 24, 2011, 06:10:55 am »

Wow, mendonca, that looks... Awesome!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: June 24, 2011, 06:28:24 am »

At first I suspected it would be like that comic ~demonstrating the process of "making a DF sprite", starting with research on bone structure and biology, going on to make many sketches and coloring one, all culminating in this little 162px square. Instead, I now know the process by which certain good sprites in some old game where made; I hadn't yet realized (permanently) that concept-art was at all useful beyond showing other people the concept.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: June 26, 2011, 03:54:39 pm »

Spoiler: AND HE'S BACK! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: WITH SOME MORE STUFF! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 03:45:34 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: June 30, 2011, 08:31:36 pm »

I don't remember who linked me to this thread, or I can't spell their username, but I remember Thereos said something about trying everything, drawing wise to see what I'm good at. So, in about five minutes, I dis this pixel art (I can sort of pixel simple, simple stuff) of an apple. From there, I did the same thing with Paint and a mouse and then Paint.NET in a lot less time.
Spoiler: pixels (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: MSpaint w/mouse (click to show/hide)

Now, dash my ambition against the rocks of weak constructive criticism. I'm gonna try more pixel stuff.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #3131 on: June 30, 2011, 08:40:22 pm »

blackmagechill: I think you'll do fine, just need more practice! May I suggest drawing/painting from real life subjects? Try to detatch your symbolic understanding of an apple from what you actually see when you look at an apple. Practicing this will give you the visual vocabulary and technical skill to produce believable images of imagined objects as well.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: June 30, 2011, 08:47:34 pm »

Alright. More apple stuff forthecoming since I have nothing to do tonight anyway. I might try and do some sprites later, but I should probably re-download graphics gale first. Before anyone says anything, I know tools aren't neccesary for great art, and one of my favorite amatuer games ever, Speak No Evil had all of it's graphics done in MSPaint (except for attack Anims, but this is the RM* community, so nobody does customs), but that doesnt mean that isn't hard. On the topic of good RM* games and some snazzy pixel art Paradise Blue and anything sprited my lennon is pretty/fun.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: June 30, 2011, 10:16:49 pm »

i believe it was i who banished you to this depths. anyway, people on the other thread are still giving advice, and i'd follow spreggo's advice too, go get an apple, and try to work from it, or at least get a photography of an apple, what you are drawing is what you remember to be an apple with the characteristics that in your mind define an apple: it's red and round. real apples are seldom red, and generally not that round either, though.
also, about starting with simple objects: simple shapes are often harder to get right

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: July 01, 2011, 12:42:35 am »

Hey, so I'm wondering something here: Is it easier to get into drawing stuff that is sort of reminiscent of  HomeStuck (i.e. cartoonish stuff) after you get done drawing realistically, or should I focus on tutorials and a lot of practice on stuff like that? Because what I've really been sort of practicing for is an MSPFA so I could do something I'd be proud of, and if you compare art at the beginning of those and then at the end they are way nicer.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 296