Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378387 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #2805 on: February 13, 2011, 05:23:44 pm »

Push the second knuckle in until the third is exposed, at least.
I can't make my knuckles curve like that no matter where I put my fingers, much less in that position.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: February 13, 2011, 05:30:19 pm »

I can, actually.

Now that I look at it, the hand seems a bit too flat.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: February 14, 2011, 05:04:47 am »

Posting to follow, and also occasionally get tips on my doodles.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #2808 on: February 14, 2011, 01:19:55 pm »

Recent miniature painting:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The brushes I use are pretty much the smallest you can get, and they usually don't last more than one or two paintings.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: February 14, 2011, 05:55:55 pm »

Recent miniature painting:

The brushes I use are pretty much the smallest you can get, and they usually don't last more than one or two paintings.
Pretty damn good. And how small are the brushes? Monofilament? Nanobot-precision? Because for the size, they get some nice detail.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #2810 on: February 14, 2011, 06:06:37 pm »

For this one I was using an 18/0 round for detail. I also have a 2 round for blocking in, a 10/0 square and a 000 detail brush that is pretty wrecked.

I jump around a bit because it is hard to find the tiny brushes in stores without them being already damaged in some way.

I think the tiniest ones are made of Taklon.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #2811 on: February 14, 2011, 09:13:09 pm »

"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #2812 on: February 14, 2011, 09:23:03 pm »

That is cool, Spreggo.  You have captured his very essence.  That hard shadow under his chin really makes the painting for me; nothing makes a painting pop like a well-placed hard-edged cast shadow. 

Is that oils or acrylics?  I know absolutely nothing about real paint. 

Rarborman: those are cute cutebolds. 

Here's a sketch.  When I don't know what to draw, my brain defaults to zombies. 

You have struck Microcline!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: February 15, 2011, 01:18:34 am »

Nice pun.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: February 15, 2011, 03:03:50 am »

very nice braindead sketch. My brainless scribblings are not nearly as impressive, but still I enjoy them; enviroment doodles ahoy!

Spoiler: very scribbly (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 1280x1024 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 03:06:59 am by daemoria »
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: February 15, 2011, 04:04:10 am »

on your planet, unless the sun is very very close, the shadow would be much sharper.

if it's at Saturn distance, then it would be very sharp indeed.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: February 15, 2011, 04:12:07 am »

"In space, no one can see you diffuse."

Balathus, that zombie looks like a family portrait in a hallway or something. "Oh, that's uncle Zed, we don't really talk about that part of the family."

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: February 15, 2011, 06:09:12 am »

yea, the sun is actually pretty close to this planet. Its about .7 AU away versus the 10 au to saturn. but i do hear ya on the shadow being too soft, here.. have a non soft/squishy shadow'd version.
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: February 15, 2011, 06:35:06 am »

looking good there.

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #2819 on: February 15, 2011, 09:09:33 am »

The lighthouse is great, Daemoria.  The colors are very appealing, and it works compositionally.  I would either shorten or lengthen the tower itself; atm it's touching the frame of the picture and creating a tangent (when two objects in a picture meet in such a way that you can't tell which is behind the other); this flattens out the image and gives it a more graphic sort of fee.  If that's what you want, great, but it looks like you were aiming to create a sense of distance, and tangencies hinder that.  The end of the promontory on which the lighthouse stands and the rise of the distant mountains is another near tangency, as is that stalagmite (menhir?)  rising up right below it, and the stalagmite rising up in the foreground creates one at its tip with the hill.  I catch myself doing this too; it's almost like the brain is wired to do it subconsciously.  Gotta watch out. 

Also, those deep, black shadows on the lighthouse are working against you.  In atmospheric perspective, the colors of shadows lighten in value and shift toward the sky color as they recede into the distance.  Everything also loses contrast and shifts towards the blue end of the spectrum as it gets further away from the camera (because the air filters out the longer, weaker wavelengths (the red-yellow end of the spectrum) and only allows the shorter, bluer wavelengths to pass (this is called Rayleigh scattering if you care).

You can see this in just about any photograph with a distant background and a near foreground.

http://www.everestuncensored.org/Hiking/05032009/36%20A%20distant%20hill%20is%20Fulchowki.jpg

Notice how in the background, everything takes on a blue-ish cast.  If you open up such photos in Photoshop and run the color-picker over them (an excellent learning experience imo), you'll notice that even what look like browns in the distance are usually actually warm, desaturated blues.  Everything moves towards blue, and all the highlights and deep darks wash out.  In the foreground, the lights are lighter, darks are darker (and probably warmer), and things retain their true colors.

tl;dr:  atmospheric perspective = things lose contrast and shift to blue as the distance between you and them increases. 

You have struck Microcline!
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 296