Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378400 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #2790 on: February 13, 2011, 03:01:22 am »

Are we limiting the engraver's guild to 2d work????

I made another mini but I'm sure if I should start my own thread...
Crafter's guild!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #2791 on: February 13, 2011, 04:05:40 am »

It's four in the morning now, but I couldn't stop working on this until it was finished... I think.

I've made yet another variation of my avatar, though this one is a bit fancier than the others:

I'd love some input on the pose, the hands, the shading, or anything really.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: February 13, 2011, 05:48:47 am »

Her eyes and hair seem to be skewed to the right (my right), while the rest of her face isn't. She also has no neck. The pose seems rather unnatural - change it somehow.

Palm too small while the fingers are too long.

A good way to make heads is to start with a bare one, add facial details, then cover it with hair.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: February 13, 2011, 05:57:42 am »

She does have a neck but it seems she is kind of hunched or something so it can't be seen.One other thing is the lines, as someone who generally does crappy linework i suggest you work on your lines, they might not be that important in some styles but the one you are doing pretty much demands clean lines.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: February 13, 2011, 09:26:18 am »

Neck is too far to the left. Should be moved a little to the right. Just looks way unnatural.

Right hand looks pretty awkward as well. Typically you don't quite only see the knuckles and they are not at same length too. Right arm should not come in in an ninety degree angle either, that is once again unnatural.

Brb fetching sketch on how I would do it. I'm by no means a master artist but perhaps it helps.

/e: Here it is. Not perfect at all (eye alignment, anyone? also, right arm is a little far up), but it is meant to show a bit of a possible, well, arms-crossed pose.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 09:43:05 am by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #2795 on: February 13, 2011, 11:40:24 am »

Her eyes and hair seem to be skewed to the right (my right), while the rest of her face isn't. She also has no neck. The pose seems rather unnatural - change it somehow.

A good way to make heads is to start with a bare one, add facial details, then cover it with hair.

I actually started with a bald head, though I never finished the top of the skull.
The eyes might look offset because of the shadows cast from the hair.

She does have a neck but it seems she is kind of hunched or something so it can't be seen.One other thing is the lines, as someone who generally does crappy linework i suggest you work on your lines, they might not be that important in some styles but the one you are doing pretty much demands clean lines.

Yeah, the neck started off longer, then I realized if I shortened it there was a bit of a "hunched" look, which I definitely prefer.
I assume you mean the lines on the hair are unclean, and I'll probably retouch them, if I don't redo most of the hair completely.

Neck is too far to the left. Should be moved a little to the right. Just looks way unnatural.

Right hand looks pretty awkward as well. Typically you don't quite only see the knuckles and they are not at same length too. Right arm should not come in in an ninety degree angle either, that is once again unnatural.

Brb fetching sketch on how I would do it. I'm by no means a master artist but perhaps it helps.

/e: Here it is. Not perfect at all (eye alignment, anyone? also, right arm is a little far up), but it is meant to show a bit of a possible, well, arms-crossed pose.

Thanks for the sketch. I tried the pose myself a few times, and I eventually went with just dropping the hand around the elbow,
 since it seemed easier to pull off with how very little hand practice I have. A more natural position would have been the entire hand on the front of the elbow.

Thanks for all of the input everyone, I think I'll try again from a more isometric angle like in Errol's example.
if you people want any more variety, your going to have to wait until I get better at this, or deal with my abstract art.
If I'm going to put multiple hours into something like this, I want it to have some possible use in my scheme.

Errol: I think your sketch looks amazing, and it will make a great reference.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #2796 on: February 13, 2011, 12:39:08 pm »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: February 13, 2011, 12:54:13 pm »

Thanks for the praise. :P Although I see a thousand little mistakes... well, if I did not want to improve, if I wasn't as perfectionist as I am, I would just not advance at all.

Might upload one of my RL paintings soonish.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: February 13, 2011, 12:55:49 pm »

I actually started with a bald head, though I never finished the top of the skull. Ah, that explains why the skull looks like it's flat at the top. Why? Look at the hair. Hair shouldn't be supported like that.
The eyes might look offset because of the shadows cast from the hair. No, it's skewed all right.

Yeah, the neck started off longer, then I realized if I shortened it there was a bit of a "hunched" look, which I definitely prefer. Then change the rest of the pose and the head to match the hunch.
I assume you mean the lines on the hair are unclean, and I'll probably retouch them, if I don't redo most of the hair completely. He means clearer, cleaner lines. If you look at some other art with similar styles you'll see.

Redline to demonstrate skew. Green shows width disparity in hair.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think you wanted her to turn the the left a bit, but because none of the features seem to be turned they look skewed instead.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: February 13, 2011, 01:01:16 pm »

Here we go, then:

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #2800 on: February 13, 2011, 02:42:50 pm »

Redline to demonstrate skew. Green shows width disparity in hair.

I think you wanted her to turn the the left a bit, but because none of the features seem to be turned they look skewed instead.

I'm not sure why you placed the center of the face at that spot.
The tip of the nose looks too much like the underside of a nostril, probably.
It could also be that vague shadow in the center of the face, which I'm going to move further right.
I'll change the shape of the nose, or just move it over a tad and make a matching left nostril.

I made the hair earlier on in the process, sort of rushed it, and didn't feel like going back to work on it.
I'll come back with a revised version in an hour.

Derp Sandvich

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes paperclips for their attachments ಥ‿ಥ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: February 13, 2011, 02:55:23 pm »

It would be a good idea for you Orange, to study the human figure more. My art instructor told me that when drawing someone, you should always start with the torso. You can practice sketching poses either through reference or imagining them in your head (the former would be easier to do).

Here are some references that can help you (most of them are pretty big):

"He's blind, but he was still able to find the way to the hospital, he vomits, and his lungs are going numb. So what? I don't get why you always want a diagnosis even though they're all doomed. Even a kitten can see it. He got sprayed by a monster's bodily fluids, that should be enough diagnosis. There, he has lupus. Happy? He's going to die. Like everyone else. I know it because I'm better than all of you, because I know how to use a goddamn crutch. Where the hell did you put the sunshine?" ಠ_ಠ

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: February 13, 2011, 03:23:14 pm »

I know that wasn't directed at me, but thank you for those. They will be very useful.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #2803 on: February 13, 2011, 03:26:24 pm »

Added these to the resources.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #2804 on: February 13, 2011, 03:45:56 pm »

Here we go, then:

I feel like you've shown that painting before, or something really similar.
I like it, but the artistic style of the eyes sort of confuses me.
The style gives me a sort of mystic feel, like ancient tapestries or something.
I probably would have given the shapes on the sides harder edges.
Are they wings, or a background element?

It would be a good idea for you Orange, to study the human figure more. My art instructor told me that when drawing someone, you should always start with the torso. You can practice sketching poses either through reference or imagining them in your head (the former would be easier to do).

Thanks!

Here's my picture after some revising:
Spoiler: 1680 x 1050 (click to show/hide)

I think I've fixed the face and the hair size.
The hands are a bit better, but still in an unrealistic pose.

I sort of like the unrealistic nature of the hair, its intended to look a bit alien/unnatural.
Also, in the style of these anime-type things, the shape and physics of hair is often questionable.
If I could put time into it, I'd make it less simplistic and more detailed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 03:47:58 pm by Outcast Orange »

Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 296