Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378731 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #2400 on: October 18, 2010, 02:36:51 am »

Fault, is that the main character from your comic's expedition? It seems like the right situation, the facial hair is right, but the shape of the face is wrong.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2401 on: October 18, 2010, 07:43:56 pm »

EDIT: oh god no it isn't, why the fuck was that on my clipboard.  This is the image I intended to post.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #2402 on: October 18, 2010, 07:46:04 pm »

You used state of the art technology to extend a meme?

Approved.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: October 21, 2010, 04:15:01 am »

I've modeled this simple strap in Blender that I want stuck on top of an already existing curving model. I modeled it flat, but now I need to bend it with as little distortion of the front as possible. There's at least three ways I can do this. I can pull and twist small sections with "Proportional Edit Falloff" enabled. This is easy and fast, but it caused some distortion and isn't nearly as precise as I'd like. I can bend the whole model using a Bezier curve. I can do exact twists with really fancy bending, but the front gets totally messed up by distortion. Lastly, I could add bones and bend the whole model into place with the bones guiding everything. I think this would be my best shot at having the front be distortion free, but the whole process seems like it would take awhile to do right and may in fact give similar results to just using proportional falloff.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has any advice on curving a long model in Blender without stretching out the faces and edges too much. I'm thinking that the Bezier curve is the way to go since If I'm careful I might be able to minimize the distortion. However, I'd love to try other techniques I don't know about. Also, if anybody has any tips on using Bezier curves, I'd love to hear them as well.

Here's a picture to help visualize my problem (and I guess to show off what little I have done). I want to bend the sash that I made over the Scout's already existing sash that's circled in purple.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: October 21, 2010, 08:49:29 am »

You could always move the vertices by hand.  :D

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: October 21, 2010, 12:32:26 pm »

Oh god, that would be terrible. And slow. And awful.

Did I mention terrible? Or slow?

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: October 21, 2010, 01:16:36 pm »

Don't even joke about that. Just thinking about it makes my hand hurt a little bit.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: October 22, 2010, 12:57:18 am »

That was actually what I was going to suggest, since it looks like there's only some 200 vertices you'd need to move. Not enough to make your hand hurt, and it will get the precision you're asking for. Then again, this is coming from a person who wont consider using bezier or most kinds of smoothing after the first try. To large a mess.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: October 22, 2010, 07:09:51 am »

At least you can find comfort in knowing you choose the right game to mod.
Sweet jebus. 47. Thousand. Dollars.

Also, seems I've gotten a virus. How exciting!  :-\

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #2409 on: October 24, 2010, 12:54:15 am »

This looks interesting.

I will post a super crappy faildrawing for critiques people to make fun of me for sometime soon.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: October 25, 2010, 07:20:57 pm »

Digging through old papers the other day turned up some artworks. This was done during a slow afternoon a while ago, while working as a host at the local Applebees. It was drawn on the back of an order sheet in black ink pen.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:29:03 pm by Solifuge »

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: October 25, 2010, 08:06:27 pm »

Here's a picture to help visualize my problem (and I guess to show off what little I have done). I want to bend the sash that I made over the Scout's already existing sash that's circled in purple.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why don't you just retexture the sash to have the design you want, instead of modeling another sash and trying to bend it around the current one? Or do you absolutely have to have this thing wrapped on top of the original?

Also, Blender's interface is a confusing mess.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: October 26, 2010, 11:17:06 am »

Digging through old papers the other day turned up some artworks. This was done during a slow afternoon a while ago, while working as a host at the local Applebees. It was drawn on the back of an order sheet in black ink pen.

Love it! :D

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: October 26, 2010, 11:59:22 am »

That's pretty sweet that it mirrored so well as-is. With faces there's so much potential for it to just be creepy.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: October 26, 2010, 12:08:54 pm »

Would probably make a neat face texture for some game. Even as-is, without color.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 296