Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378758 times)

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #2355 on: October 05, 2010, 02:05:23 pm »

Nose and chin a bit thin.
Read that out loud.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: October 05, 2010, 02:05:49 pm »

Yup.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: October 05, 2010, 02:27:36 pm »

Anyone have *any* luck getting wacom's products to work in linux. I can move the pen just above the tablet and see the position of the mouse, but when I click (touch the tablet), the whole thing freezes and will only move if the is touching the tablet. The fact that I can't see where the pointer is is driving me insane.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: October 05, 2010, 03:50:53 pm »

I've only worked with a tablet in Linux through a Windows emulator, which is no help. :d There are third-party drivers for Linux, the Wacom site informs me... have you fought with those yet?

Spoiler: a Plant! (click to show/hide)
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: October 05, 2010, 04:07:53 pm »

I've only worked with a tablet in Linux through a Windows emulator, which is no help. :d There are third-party drivers for Linux, the Wacom site informs me... have you fought with those yet?
I have them installed, though my package manager uses some primitive version, when it comes to supporting some obscure product, don't even dare look at gentoo. I'll try compiling the drivers on my own, maybe that'll work.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: October 05, 2010, 09:01:39 pm »

Began day doodling on my notes, all of said doodles looking absolutely terrible and I erased them as soon as they were finished. Depressed, I began doing sketches on the bus again. Shading, how the fuck does that work?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: October 06, 2010, 12:36:07 am »

Look at black and white photos and other drawings.
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: October 06, 2010, 12:54:07 am »

I understand the areas where color should be had and how dark areas should be, but I lack the ability to make them. I dunno, I guess I need some guidance on how to use proper technique instead of knowing where to use it.

Although I suppose the lighting of a fizzy black sweater lit on both sides would be difficult to deal with as a beginner.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: October 06, 2010, 12:56:46 am »

I understand the areas where color should be had and how dark areas should be, but I lack the ability to make them.
Heheh, you may think you know where the values go, but if you did you would know how to make them :P it's not as simple as that!
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: October 06, 2010, 01:11:55 am »

I think before you worry about shading, it's most important to make sure the drawing underneath is sound. When I started to seriously work on figure drawing several years ago, I did this whole rendered drawing. Thought I was doing awesome... only to get to the end and realize that since the underlying drawing sucked, the painstakingly rendered shading looked awful. I think my shading technique was decent? But it ended up being a polished turd in the end.

I got some advice to use a pen to sketch for a while. The idea is, since you can't erase it forces you to learn how to make the correct line the first time. Gotta wade through some sucky drawings to get there, but I found it useful.

Some of my friends also like to take markers and draw things by filling in just the shadows - like this and this. No lines or anything, just chunks of black (or whatever color). It might help you understand volumes and shading better. I think I need to do some of that myself.
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: October 06, 2010, 02:03:08 am »

Anyone have *any* luck getting wacom's products to work in linux. I can move the pen just above the tablet and see the position of the mouse, but when I click (touch the tablet), the whole thing freezes and will only move if the is touching the tablet. The fact that I can't see where the pointer is is driving me insane.

Huh. I think mine worked pretty much out of the box. Or maybe I had to install something with "wacom" in the name, I'm not sure. Well, okay, the buttons aren't doing anything meaningful, but the basic tablet functions of position and pressure sensing work just fine. Bamboo Fun in Ubuntu.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: October 06, 2010, 07:47:41 am »

Its a nice picture Barbarossa but one of the requirements is that it be in the style of Botanical Drawings as per the example. I.E. A strong sense of natural texture and as well as a decent amount of fine detail.
What constitutes a botanical drawing, a separate diagram of each part of the plant? Working on it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: October 06, 2010, 08:01:51 am »

There's a link to a reference in the challenge.

I had to do these in school. It should/might contain blowups of details, cross-sections, perhaps multiple angles, different stages of growth (blossom/fruit/leaf), and you can use either letters as per the reference, or use lines to indicate and name parts (although it might be that using lines to indicate parts is only used in anatomy drawings of humans and animals). No background, no frills, but a lot of texture and detail in the subject itself.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #2368 on: October 06, 2010, 12:40:07 pm »

There's a link to a reference in the challenge.

I had to do these in school. It should/might contain blowups of details, cross-sections, perhaps multiple angles, different stages of growth (blossom/fruit/leaf), and you can use either letters as per the reference, or use lines to indicate and name parts (although it might be that using lines to indicate parts is only used in anatomy drawings of humans and animals). No background, no frills, but a lot of texture and detail in the subject itself.

Yes, I think the idea is that someone could use the drawing to identify it, perhaps in relation to other very similar species with subtle differences.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #2369 on: October 06, 2010, 12:44:46 pm »

I understand the areas where color should be had and how dark areas should be, but I lack the ability to make them. I dunno, I guess I need some guidance on how to use proper technique instead of knowing where to use it.

Although I suppose the lighting of a fizzy black sweater lit on both sides would be difficult to deal with as a beginner.

One of the things that works well for me is to block in the shadows as actual shapes, before actually shading them in. A good exercise to get the hang of this is to draw and object by ONLY blocking in shadows - no contours, no texture, et cetera...

Another thing to keep in mind is massing of shadows. Rather than trying to render every single little strand of shadow, focus on the larger areas of shadow that those smaller ones produce.

This guy is pretty much doing what I mean. There are more examples out there too.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 296