Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378852 times)

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #2010 on: July 18, 2010, 10:36:54 pm »

Is it wrong of me to say that I think it's a bit cute? Must be those big eyes, heh.

Looks like you're using black/dark grays for the shading, though. I find using dark colors instead (usually reds or blues, depending on the lighting) look a lot better when you shade with them. Another cool thing to try is to lay down the base colors using darker, duller colors, then paint the "light" in with lighter and brighter colors. (either on the same layer or a second normal one)
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2011 on: July 19, 2010, 08:16:40 am »

Is it wrong of me to say that I think it's a bit cute? Must be those big eyes, heh.
It's the eyes, I agree.  I thought it was sorta cute too.

Looks like you're using black/dark grays for the shading, though. I find using dark colors instead (usually reds or blues, depending on the lighting) look a lot better when you shade with them. Another cool thing to try is to lay down the base colors using darker, duller colors, then paint the "light" in with lighter and brighter colors. (either on the same layer or a second normal one)

Hmm.  I gave the dark-colours-shading-up method a go.  I think I prefer it to the other method.  ALSO HEY RED FORTUNE I'M USING SOFT BRUSHES WHAT ARE YOU GUNNA DO HUH.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ooh, looks fun and interesting.

You should write a (very) brief back-story for that one.

IT IS An IMPERIAL KARR A'KRAT.  An insect race I've been playing Dwarf Fort with.  Their drones are unintelligent and butcherable! :D
Also known as Zuhayr.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: July 19, 2010, 03:57:58 pm »

I'm trying to adopt a different drawing style to make it look more like a comic. So far, this is the result:
I dare you not to recognize the armor suit. No, it's not Samus's, even if it has a matching color scheme. It's just (unfinished) red desert camo.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: July 19, 2010, 04:59:08 pm »

That's a mechwarrior battle armor- don't remember which one.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: July 19, 2010, 08:36:03 pm »

I'm trying to adopt a different drawing style to make it look more like a comic. So far, this is the result:
I dare you not to recognize the armor suit. No, it's not Samus's, even if it has a matching color scheme. It's just (unfinished) red desert camo.
Samus!
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: July 20, 2010, 03:09:41 pm »

A minor redesign and some de-Samusifying later, I think this'll do for the base of the image.
(the claw looks like it could use some work... or does it? Actually, the whole left arm could probably use a redesign...)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: July 20, 2010, 03:42:15 pm »

An Orc, not without its flaws, but was a lot of fun to draw.

Also broken down in to first three steps in case anyone can offer any useful critique, and just for kicks. You know, engravers guild and all.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: July 20, 2010, 03:50:24 pm »

Step 1 looks like a Predator to me. Meaning, it's invisible. Grey lines with no background over the grey of the Darkling theme...

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: July 20, 2010, 03:56:41 pm »

It looks pretty badass, though.
Because, even though it's mostly invisible, there's still a faint glimmer of the lines.

As for the finished product, he looks like a very respectable old guy, but there's something off about the pose.
The arms are also inconsistent in terms of muscle, and the fancy hand looks like he's stabbing himself in the face.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: July 20, 2010, 09:32:19 pm »

A minor redesign and some de-Samusifying later, I think this'll do for the base of the image.
(the claw looks like it could use some work... or does it? Actually, the whole left arm could probably use a redesign...)

Still looks like samus. But besides that, I remember it from somewhere. is it based of something?
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: July 21, 2010, 01:24:22 am »

Still looks like samus. But besides that, I remember it from somewhere. is it based of something?
Can't help it looking like Samus - essentially it looks very much like her suit, what with the arm cannon and all. And the paintjob doesn't help, either. The only distinguishing bit is the backpack. Here's what I'm using as inspiration:

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: July 21, 2010, 02:03:48 am »

It looks to me like this guy is way off-balance to the back. The left arm is fine, but you should try to make his body stand almost right above his feet. Either bend his knees and place his feet backward, or stretch the legs and make the body come up. Unless of course you were going to place him on a seat later.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: July 21, 2010, 02:14:27 am »

He's supposed to be reeling back from being perforated by four different weapons simultaneously. :) This pic is just the base.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:16:16 am by Sean Mirrsen »

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: July 21, 2010, 02:17:19 am »

I see. Well, than disregard my previous post.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: July 21, 2010, 08:09:59 am »

First attempt at the incoming fire. Any suggestions?

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 296