Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379004 times)

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #1725 on: June 11, 2010, 12:29:42 am »

EDIT: Wait no.
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: June 11, 2010, 12:49:08 am »

daemoria, I know a project that could use your talent.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: June 11, 2010, 05:40:54 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now I'm curious, how many perspective errors does this have?
It uses the kind of incredibly simple perspective usually seen in mathematics and technical drawings. I forget what it's called, but I'm sure one of the perspective wizards here can tell you. The terrain is consistent about it, though, and I'm not sure whether lack of perspective technically counts as a perspective error. The obelisk doesn't quite fit, but you could just argue that it's in a funny angle and an irregular shape. The carvings on the leftmost facet also seem a bit skewed, or rather, not skewed enough.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: June 11, 2010, 05:55:55 am »

what you're refering to is isometric perspective, it is usually assumed to be bad in a drawing, tough it can be used as a means of studying an object or a space.

the obelisk is at an odd angle, yes, and it doesn't look intentional.

i've made this guy, its the portrait of a character in a dnd game i'm playing in oots forums it's a mul gladiator in a darksun setting... amateurishly, i forgot to save a backup before shrinking it

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: June 11, 2010, 06:32:00 am »

amateurishly, i forgot to save a backup before shrinking it
:(  :(  :(  It's a great picture.

I once worked for an entire day on a set of maps that I needed to be completely crisp and possible to take templates and features out of later.

That was the day I learnt about jpg compression.

joss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: June 11, 2010, 09:35:51 am »

« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 08:11:41 am by joss »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: June 11, 2010, 09:47:27 am »

obligatory:

SLAYER!

;D

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: June 13, 2010, 08:42:54 am »

Run.
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: June 13, 2010, 09:06:58 am »

The sense of movement in that one makes me think of those dreams where you seem to be running away from something horrible in slow motion; like walking through jelly. I'm not sure whether you meant to create this sense.

Oh, and thanks to those who criticized the obelisk.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #1734 on: June 13, 2010, 09:09:46 am »

Joss: Is that charcoal?? You should try using some white chalk too, because you are doing well with tone and I think you could handle doing highlights with it.
I like both of them because they have a lot of implied movement (the second especially). Some of the forms of the bodies look a bit off but that is probably just an issue of practice.

Red Fortune: Not sure if you used a reference but to my eye some of the proportions look odd. When I stand in a similar position the top of my fist is at or above the top of my head. I think the problem lies in the the upper arm is overly foreshortened although it is not actually protruding towards the viewer.
It also looks like there is some issue where the torso meets the hips. It looks as if the stomach needs to be longer, but tightening the armor a bit might solve that.
Also, the feet aren't actually that far back from the picture plane (the 'window' that the viewer 'looks through') and so they look overly small.
Anatomy is one of the harder things to do without using references. Although, looking at it now, you probably were using a reference and it is the addition of armor that is tripping it up.
The lower left corner is too simple and bright, which is making it too bold for the composition. It is stealing attention from the subject.
Overall the work is strong, and I think you could push it to very strong/awesome by fixing up the aforementioned. Push push push.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: June 13, 2010, 09:11:50 am »

I didn't use a ref so much as saw a similar running pose from a different view and try to translate it.

I'm silly. BUT THANKS for the crit. Is it just me, or do you seem to only appear when I post? o_o

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #1736 on: June 13, 2010, 09:14:27 am »

I didn't use a ref so much as saw a similar running pose from a different view and try to translate it.

I'm silly. BUT THANKS for the crit. Is it just me, or do you seem to only appear when I post? o_o

lol - we probably just have similar schedules. These days I work a 40 - 50 hr week between two states so I have very limited opportunities to keep up with the guild.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: June 13, 2010, 09:14:58 am »

You're a fellow Aussie, I gather?

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #1738 on: June 13, 2010, 09:18:03 am »

Actually I'm in the U.S., which confirms for me that my work schedule is pretty f'd up.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: June 13, 2010, 09:19:40 am »

D: B-but, this is like the Aussie oasis time - the period where almost nobody but Aussies and Kiwis are on.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 296