Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379040 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #1635 on: May 30, 2010, 03:22:06 pm »

Lofn, what software are you using?
Pretty sure it's Flash.

And did anyone else notice the 507 nginx error?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: May 30, 2010, 03:29:39 pm »

Thanks dude. And yeah, it was drawing realistic things that got me into this slump into the first place. Proportions, shading, textures, etc. Although I suppose I'll just focus on one thing at a time and work through the various little things that just discourage me. So yeah, first week hands.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: May 30, 2010, 04:06:24 pm »

if you're aiming for a realistic drawing you should try at all costs to NOT apply memorized drawings or symbols, so avoid drawing eyes, noses and mouths, draw mainly stuff that you can't identify.

I suddenly realize why my face looks so weird in my self-portrait.

They say you can remedy this symbol memorization problem if you draw certain features upside-down.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: May 30, 2010, 04:12:29 pm »

Duke 2.0, practice like a motherfucker. Over the last 2 week break that I had, I practiced 6-10 hours a day on weekdays, here's a before and after:

Spoiler: before (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: after (click to show/hide)
Do what I did, and you'll probably improve a lot. Dedication is the key.

Lofn, skull studies, wait no, just general studies... Lots and lots of them. What's it for?

EDIT: AAAGHHHH Now I feel so motivated to draw that I could do it straight for 6 weeks, but exams are like.... Nearly here... Blllewrewjew
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 04:16:09 pm by Red Fortune »
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: May 30, 2010, 04:32:12 pm »

Thanks dude. And yeah, it was drawing realistic things that got me into this slump into the first place. Proportions, shading, textures, etc. Although I suppose I'll just focus on one thing at a time and work through the various little things that just discourage me. So yeah, first week hands.

i'm glad we share the same artistic ambitions :)
and yeah, you don't need to get perfect in one area before trying to improve another, but trying to do everything at once once isn't very productive either, so one month with quick sketches focusing on shapes and proportions, then another month modeling volumes and textures seems a good schedule to me.

i like hands cuz they're interesting, quite portable and versatile to draw, that's why my advice is start with hands, then get to something boring and completely uneventful like lumps of cloth so you get used to pure shapes and proportions without preconceptions, then people, to give you a taste of the real deal, of the most important object for most artists. finally back to hands to see how much you improved since you started.

if you're aiming for a realistic drawing you should try at all costs to NOT apply memorized drawings or symbols, so avoid drawing eyes, noses and mouths, draw mainly stuff that you can't identify.

I suddenly realize why my face looks so weird in my self-portrait.

They say you can remedy this symbol memorization problem if you draw certain features upside-down.
yeah, i think you suffer from that a bit, but i never pointed it out because frankly, your drawings are awesome. There's nothing wrong with stylization, unless it's unintentional, but even then, if it looks good i won't complain

anyway, if you want a good exercise to exorcise those preconceptions, grab a pen that can write on glass, get a mirror, and draw your own face in it. yes it's cheating, but you're not drawing, you're studying your face. do it like this:
*first, close an eye and get in a confortable position
*second, draw a line on the bottom of your chin and one at the top of your head, then the eye you closed and the opposing ear
*third: draw everything else, be absolutelly precise, but make only contours, don't try to represent textures or model the light.
now study the finished product and compare it with the way you use to draw

you're an awesome painter! I've become pretty good with the pencil, but i was never able to grasp the secret of painting, got any specific advice for a wannabe?

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1640 on: May 30, 2010, 08:12:39 pm »

Lofn, what software are you using?
Flash!  I would swap to another program with similar drawing tools in a heartbeat, though, Flash is a tempramental, bloated monster.

Quote from: Red Fortune
Lofn, skull studies, wait no, just general studies... Lots and lots of them. What's it for?
Was this in response to the portfolio suggestion request or the picture I posted?
Also known as Zuhayr.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #1641 on: May 30, 2010, 08:45:55 pm »

Everyone: I have some secret plans in motion for this thread that may or may not be unfolding in the upcoming weeks.

Askot Bokbondeler: That's great advice :) My view on the matter is that if you can't draw what you see in life then you probably won't be able to draw what you see in your mind. Becoming a decent artist really takes some seriousness and a little bit of discipline.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: May 31, 2010, 02:14:06 am »

you're an awesome painter! I've become pretty good with the pencil, but i was never able to grasp the secret of painting, got any specific advice for a wannabe?

Uh... I'm not sure... I just kinda... Paint.

Use tonnes of colour. Whatever colour you deem to be suitable, use one 3 times more vibrant.

Also, Lofn, I meant for your portfolio.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 02:17:35 am by Red Fortune »
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: May 31, 2010, 02:32:02 am »

Fault why is it that that watercolor makes you look like Gary Sinise?

...a very rogueish Gary Sinise but still.
Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: May 31, 2010, 01:24:33 pm »

(googles Gary Sinise)

Because apparently I kinda look like Gary Sinise, except scruffy, disheveled, and very sleep-deprived.

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: May 31, 2010, 01:42:38 pm »

=P I made Fault use google.

How is it you dont know who Gary Sinise is?

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: May 31, 2010, 01:46:32 pm »

looking through his filmography, I've never actually seen any of the films he's been in.

(YES, I've never seen Forrest Gump...)

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: May 31, 2010, 01:53:28 pm »

Well, fault you've only missed some descent films and such...also csi:ny.

BladeBerserker

• Bay Watcher
  • BladeBerserker cancels Life; Interrupted by DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: May 31, 2010, 02:48:53 pm »

Hello again Engravers Guild, I have been gone for a very long time, due to business mostly. I will resume posting now that I have more time (and the mojo) to draw. I'll edit this shortly with a post.

EDITEDIT: Removed 'til I can be screwed fixing it for Hippoman.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:54:01 pm by BladeBerserker »
If it doesn't work, apply magma. If THAT doesn't work, apply Artifact Gabbro Cabinet

BladeBerserker

• Bay Watcher
  • BladeBerserker cancels Life; Interrupted by DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: May 31, 2010, 05:06:44 pm »

Edit: Removed until fixed.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:54:36 pm by BladeBerserker »
If it doesn't work, apply magma. If THAT doesn't work, apply Artifact Gabbro Cabinet
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 296