Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379034 times)

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #1620 on: May 30, 2010, 08:21:06 am »

Someone's been reading Gunnerkrieg Court. :D
Also known as Zuhayr.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: May 30, 2010, 08:37:12 am »

I decided to do a doodle with fantasy geometric anatomy! First time I've done it to completion!

Feel free to tell me how much I suck and why I should go bleed to death from cutting myself

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 08:40:00 am by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: May 30, 2010, 09:18:26 am »

The rear legs look like they're backwards.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: May 30, 2010, 09:55:33 am »

yup, hehe, it's kinda funny actually

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1624 on: May 30, 2010, 10:28:38 am »

Well, I'm trying to put together a portfolio of decent images but all of my current work is single-character stuff, or comics.  SO I ASK OF YOU, GLORIOUS ENGRAVER GUILD, what should I draw first?

Lofn: I like your stuff it has a lot of character. Do you ever draw with ink and brush??

I tried once, quite a while ago, but my grasp of traditional art skills is tenuous at best.  The number of mistakes I make is staggering and you can't ctrl-Z ink. >_<
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 10:31:16 am by Lofn »
Also known as Zuhayr.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: May 30, 2010, 10:48:56 am »

Draw a set of pics focusing on a theme, or something.

Draw a crowd of grey, featureless people with a colourful person in the middle to represent individuality.

Or something.

Your call.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: May 30, 2010, 11:15:36 am »

Draw a massive industrial wasteland with heavy, smog-choked air and, standing high above the surrounding industrial chaos, is a giant building in the shape of a slightly skewed tophat. Maybe add a giant metal hand taking it off, too.

If you need references for the industrial complex, oil refineries fit the bill perfectly. As for the big tophat building, do this but without Mickey underneath (unless you want Mickey underneath it)

EDIT: also, I was imagining it in about this perspective. But bigger. And more smoggy.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 11:17:12 am by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1627 on: May 30, 2010, 11:59:26 am »

abculatter_2: I am reminded of FLCL, an anime, in which a giant hand grabs a giant iron over a city.  Not terribly relevant, I know.  The suggestion is an interesting one; any particular meaning behind it?

lordnincompoop: Hmm, I hadn't considered doing sets.  I'll give it some thought.

Also, before I sleep, progress!

Also also, this isn't art per se, buuuut it's my first ever successful reskin~.  Fallout 3 needed a black suit!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:08:11 pm by Lofn »
Also known as Zuhayr.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: May 30, 2010, 12:05:35 pm »

abculatter_2: I am reminded of FLCL, an anime, in which a giant hand grabs a giant iron over a city.  Not terribly relevant, I know.  The suggestion is an interesting one; any particular meaning behind it?

No, it just looked cool in my head.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: May 30, 2010, 01:09:53 pm »

No, it just looked cool in my head.
What are you smoking?..

...Could you sell me some?
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: May 30, 2010, 02:13:15 pm »

some of the proprotions look way off (I had my jaw in an uneven position to get the smile right, so my jawline looks awkward) But I really like how the colours came out.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: May 30, 2010, 02:14:57 pm »

Alright, as part of a sudden urge to stop being a failure at art I decided to fill a sheet of paper with sketches once a day for the next month. Hopefully I'll get my groove back from this.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: May 30, 2010, 03:09:05 pm »

if you want my advice, this is the drill i give my *students*, note that i ain't speaking about cartoons, cool drawings, anime characters, etc. i'm talking about real life drawing.

start with hands in the first week, then get to pieces of clothing in the second, then random people, then hands again, and i mean real life drawing.
try to be quick, do your drawings in 5 to 3 minutes, but don't overlook things, try to be as acurate as possible without using an eraser or re-doing anything, corrections have no place in exercises.

if you're aiming for a realistic drawing you should try at all costs to NOT apply memorized drawings or symbols, so avoid drawing eyes, noses and mouths, draw mainly stuff that you can't identify. if you're drawing an entire person don't draw any features of it's face or it's fingers, instead, try to catch the shape they form instead of thinking of them as fingers and eyes and noses.

Something important to look at are negative spaces. For example, when drawing your hand, drawing the space between your fingers with accuracy is as important as drawing the fingers themselves, and, as this space is merely a space, you can use it often to escape your preconceptions. We all have preconceptions: subconsciously, we all think we know how wide a finger is compared to it's length, and we are all wrong at variable levels, but we don't have as many preconceptions about the triangle the empty space between your fingers forms, so trying to draw this may be more fruitful. Post a few pictures of your drawings and your models(your hands) and we'll give you some advice.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: May 30, 2010, 03:12:58 pm »

Lofn, what software are you using?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: May 30, 2010, 03:17:14 pm »

Since I haven't posted a self portrait yet, here it is!

I'm on the right, and the ghost of the left is my buddy John, A hardworking office-ghost.

Don't you think I look spiffy in my new ectoplasm?
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 296