Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379042 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #1575 on: May 29, 2010, 04:00:37 am »

Dragons tend to have straighter legs than most lizard in RL.

(Image not by me)

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: May 29, 2010, 04:14:07 am »

"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: May 29, 2010, 04:19:50 am »

About as straight as most supported walking animals.

I'd say if you want to take shape reference for a dradon that can hold it's weight up use something like canidae (canine) or feline (cat) legs for shape, but there are levels of support and for certain ones you can use shapes from dinosaur stuff (expecially if you can work flesh from just bone) This is helpful in determining support type along with posture.

The face in that last frame seems off to me, might be because it's so dark.
Smash me and I shall rise again, but not make stupid threads that get me muted.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: May 29, 2010, 05:25:15 am »

Looks like I need to work on my dragons a whole lot more...

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: May 29, 2010, 05:38:11 am »

Your dragons are actually fairly acceptable besides some body structure lack, there are some true horrors out there tht calling it a dragon would be a crime of art.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: May 29, 2010, 07:39:29 am »

I didn't see that link there DreaDFanG, thanks for that ( although I have no idea what a rauisuchian is...). Also, Red Fortune, in the sixth frame of your comic, is it meant to say fuond? I understand why you put the hyphen in located and geology ( I'm assuming to imply a more robotic sound), but misspelling a word isn't very robotic if that's what you were getting at. Unless of course this is already halfway through the comic and I'm missing a plot point?

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: May 29, 2010, 08:35:58 am »

I did a tyrannosaurus as a leg exercise (sorry if its too light):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

References:

It's a shame I couldn't actually get a real picture...

Edit: I'm thinking the legs may be a bit too skinny. Maybe I should redraw the left half of the thigh closer to the left half of the body to make it wider?
Edit2: And hey, looks like I forgot the claw on the back of it's right leg. I'll be damned.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 08:56:34 am by OmnipotentGrue »

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: May 29, 2010, 09:20:48 am »

Ignore the name I'm Hungry.

Rauisuchian The earth contained lots more then just dinosaurs in the past.

Some other helpful stuff if you look.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:23:29 am by DreaDFanG »

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: May 29, 2010, 09:30:50 am »

Thanks, that's all good stuff. What do you think of the thigh size on the tyrannosaurus, to thin?

Edit: Man, going over some of that rauisuchian stuff is really interesting - I may draw a Batrachotomus sometime.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:40:14 am by OmnipotentGrue »

DreaDFanG

• Bay Watcher
  • Hungry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: May 29, 2010, 09:58:52 am »

For the thigh I'd make the back of the upper hip more longer, besides some minor odd shape to the head it's very good.
If you have bones a shape test is often really helpful (if you can do one, of course some people might not)
Spoiler: a greyscale shape test (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 10:26:02 am by DreaDFanG »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: May 29, 2010, 02:28:32 pm »

Red Fortune, that's going to be a nice looking comic!

But for the comic relief, don't let him say "Aaargh". That whole last pane is superfluous, as the joke is already in the pane before that one.
I love the robot :) Reminds me of GIR.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: May 29, 2010, 03:47:24 pm »

Well, it does let you see his 'angry face' (sort of).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #1587 on: May 29, 2010, 05:39:17 pm »

I just want to reiterate that I created this thread with the idea in mind that you can post any piece of art, with the intention of accepting feedback and critique to improve your work and skill. Part of this is not saying things that belittle other's work practices, such as using references. The other part of this is that you are posting here to be part of a learning environment. If you already think you have mastered drawing, then please don't post here. It sort of poisons the environment to say things like, "I'm great at drawing." Whether or not it's true (it isn't).

Okay now for some critiques.

Red Fortune: You have improved significantly since you first started posting. One place for improvement in your comic is the environments, especially the interiors. You might try finding some refs to use, and brushing up a little on indoor perspective. Probably the best way to do this would be to sit in the corner of a few rooms and drawing them out in a mechanical sort of way. Just to get the big spaces down.

LegoLord: I think you need a better reference for that (his left) hand. It looks a bit detached. I think you would be able to see the ball of his wrist and probably at least part of his arm. Some of the proportions are wonky too, such as the hand should probably be larger. Compare it to the size of his head and you will see what I mean. Some of the shading, especially on the clothing, could benefit from the use of harder brushes.

Lofn: I like your stuff it has a lot of character. Do you ever draw with ink and brush??

OmnipotentGrue: I want to give comments but your scans are so light that it is difficult to see the process of the drawing.

Vazgen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: May 29, 2010, 06:45:06 pm »

My very first artsy submission to these forums, and what better way to kick it off, than with a dorf!

So, without further ado, my dwarfy little sketch.

Warning, for a dwarf, its a gigantic image.

Background info:
This fella is a typical Mesoro-Utrarian dwarven aristocrat, most commonly to be seen at New-Valran and (transiently) at Utramar.

As you may see, this sketch is far from being finished, so i'd like to recieve any kind of criticism.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: May 29, 2010, 07:03:51 pm »

not that i'm complaining, i always support alternative envisionings of classical fantasy creatures, but that dwarf looks a bit...tall. and i mean proportionally, not talking about the pic size.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 296