Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379073 times)

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #1515 on: May 28, 2010, 03:50:00 am »

Considering that the OP was last edited in january I'd ignore anything that doesnt have the "Its art, its welcome...to be criticized" feel to it.

This thread for all whom need know is just general art, art help, and friendly art criticism(yeah, I know it can be not friendly but thats how it is).
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: May 28, 2010, 04:04:27 am »

Was I right in thinking you were talking about the sketchiness of the lines, by the way?

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: May 28, 2010, 04:16:08 am »

I was talking about being able to see the erased lines, my art teacher in highschool told me to draw lighter lines when I sketch, so when I get to where I like the lines I dont have ghost lines all over my art.

Its a sketch the lines should be like that, I'd only be worried if it was a finished work.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: May 28, 2010, 04:29:41 am »

Ah, ok. Yeah, I'm aware of my erased lines, I'm not too worried about them, I don't usually draw fish though so parts of the catfish took some trial and error.

Heres my dragon:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm not too happy with it, though I thought I'd post it anyhow. The anatomy is all over the place and it's nowhere near how I imagined it, but the head looks alright. I cheated majorly with the cliff, I put it in after I drew the feet so that they would match up with the landscape. I tend to do that a lot. What do you guys and girls think anyway?

Edit: Some criticism would be appreciated on the smoke coming out of it's nostrils.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:36:03 am by OmnipotentGrue »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: May 28, 2010, 04:36:48 am »

Like: the scar, the teeth touching the upper lip, the front nostril, very nice.
Dislike: The horns are pointing everywhere and feel "off", the claws (esp. third claw left paw), and the far nostril is too... protuberant?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: May 28, 2010, 04:39:19 am »

Thanks, this is good stuff. I didn't even notice how bad that claw was, thanks for pointing that out. I see what you mean by the horns and the nostril too. As I said, the face is probably the highlight.

Edit: Do you think its worthwhile fixing this one? I think I've messed up the bottom of the feet and the legs too bad, they don't look strong enough for something like a dragon to rest on. I could probably mess around with the small details e.g. horns, claws but the whole business with the legs has put me off this drawing.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:44:47 am by OmnipotentGrue »

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: May 28, 2010, 04:45:40 am »

ARG! noodle legs and missing parts!

The best advice I can give is that you should take your dragon references from lizards and limb placement is the major problem with it, although I could give some more advice as to improve placement, but without the back legs and tail I cant be as helpful as I could be.

If you want the dragon's arm to be placed there in that direction you have to change the body, which would probably be best. Aalso teeth(expecially wild animal teeth) are rarely ever that well fitting and pointy. The head looks like it's tilted but the spikes and jaw dont, fix your alignments.

As for the smoke, I'm not skilled in smoke.

If I have time I'll do a sketch of what I think that would turn out as, with work. (I'm going to take up your sketch as a project)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:49:51 am by Hungry »

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: May 28, 2010, 04:52:12 am »

noodle legs

Haha, that's exactly what I thought! I know I should have referenced this dragon, I referenced the catfish (for fin placement and to see how fish jump mostly). I never really considered making the teeth look blunt, I honestly wasn't going for realistic looking teeth here ( for the most part anyway, I wanted them to look natural) and sharp teeth are all that more cool looking. I didn't notice that alignment thing though, so thanks for that.

Edit: That's fine. I think it will turn out much better with... well, lets be honest here, a bit more commitment. I'm extremely lazy.

Edit2: by the way Hunger, what were your thoughts on the dwarf in my catfish picture? Any criticism helps, even if it is "hurtful". If it's not too troublesome I would like to hear what you had to say, if only to improve my dwarves from now on.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 05:22:35 am by OmnipotentGrue »

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: May 28, 2010, 05:39:57 am »

Say, you guys haven't happened to have read Loomis and Drawing, Right Side of the Brian and other such books, have you?
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: May 28, 2010, 05:45:23 am »

First off, Its Hungry not hunger.

His looks like he's got crazy eyes, egyption hyrogryphs for legs, mickey mouse hands with no elbows or shoulders, and his beard stops on the far side of his head.

In other words he needs more work then the fish.

Which Brian? I know alot of them... (no I havent read anything like that, I've had no formal training neither apart from what you get at school, and most of that time I was busy drawing monsters, skeletons, and other thing from my mind(I can draw my hand from memory))
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 05:51:52 am by Hungry »

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: May 28, 2010, 06:27:13 am »

Sorry, I sort of spaced while typing that. He's supposed to have crazy eyes, by the way. He's crazy. And he's wearing sandals and socks, it's a side on view of them. I could probably fix them, along with the arm and beard.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 06:29:41 am by OmnipotentGrue »

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: May 28, 2010, 06:30:55 am »

You can draw your hand properly from memory? I'd be interested in seeing this, it's a great feat.
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: May 28, 2010, 06:35:26 am »

You can draw your hand properly from memory? I'd be interested in seeing this, it's a great feat.

What? Shows how well I can read.

P.S.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No? Sorry about the erasing.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 06:42:15 am by OmnipotentGrue »

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: May 28, 2010, 06:44:44 am »

Well, you start with standard hand A, then from memory place the assorted scars (plenty to remember), then add what you think would be closest to your skin color (really pale and blotchy if it's my hands) and you've drawn your hand from memory...from there on, to get the fine details I have to actually look at the damn thing.

I cant draw my face from memory...
Hell, half the time I have to look at it and say "this is a mirror, thats my face"...

Also thats much better OmnipotentGrue.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: May 28, 2010, 07:35:38 am »

Well, you start with standard hand A.

This is where you're not drawing your hand from memory, hands aren't standard, they're all different in terms of contours and volume.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 296