Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379232 times)

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4365 on: February 20, 2014, 09:09:44 pm »

I think it's Bane's pet imp, mostly.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4366 on: February 20, 2014, 09:14:24 pm »

Lol, ya. That's all I could think of as I was drawing him(?), I was like "God, this is cute Bane as a demon."

This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

PlutoniumApe

• Bay Watcher
  • they see me rollin'
    • View Profile
    • Stream Goblin
« Reply #4367 on: February 21, 2014, 10:20:59 am »

the original facebook
i need to work on my details
also muddy colors

and meh, fucked up the pages a bit
but the bristle brush in sai is kinda nice

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4368 on: February 22, 2014, 09:03:56 am »

the original facebook

well done.

As for the pages, they're believable. Do they look like hair from some angles? possibly.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4369 on: February 22, 2014, 09:26:29 am »

Posting this here because help I don't know how to background.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any tips, bearing in mind that I don't have a tablet?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4370 on: February 23, 2014, 08:29:49 pm »

Selection tools are your friend, while not in any way easier to use with the mouse, atleast you'll have a good control of your edges that'll help you define stuff. As is, the background is just a blurry mess. I suggest using the selection (lasso, polygonal lasso, whatever you like, even combining several for best results) tools and then either fill or gradient to create large shapes. Using atmospheric perspective to create an illusion of depth.

Anyways, another somewhat serious piece from me, took a couple of hours while watching the Level Up stream (real nice if you want to see great artists working and chatting about stuff), there's some issues that the FB group pointed out that I may or may not go back and fix (namely, making the composition a bit more interesting and fixing the issues of atmospheric perspective on the clouds and ship)

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4371 on: March 07, 2014, 03:24:31 pm »

This was fanart for a forum adventure on the MSPA forums.

And this I painted a little while ago. I call it "Swimmers". It was digitized with a phone camera, which I think went fairly well. The colours don't look quite right on my monitor, but they're close enough.

EDIT: Also crossposting this thing from the "art learning thread", because why not.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 06:15:32 pm by Soadreqm »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: March 09, 2014, 07:18:52 pm »

Working with multiple light sources is suprisngly fun. Now all that's left is to finish the face (too tired to give it any shape right now) and slap some proper colours and effects on the poor guy.
AS - IG

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4373 on: March 09, 2014, 09:45:58 pm »

Wow, I love it. He reminds me of the final boss of the castlevania: lords of shadow dlc. What was your inspiration for this picture, any reference?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4374 on: March 10, 2014, 03:46:07 pm »

Nothing really, I was doing some study/sketching and I got bored of it so I opened up another canvas and started doodling. The doodle seemed interesting so I kept at it untill I got that.
AS - IG

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4375 on: March 11, 2014, 06:09:10 am »

Jopax: That reminds me of Chernobog, or whoever it was, from Disney's Fantasia. That demon guy from the Night on Bald Mountain.

As for myself, some charcoal doodles. I think it's been close to a decade since I last used this stuff.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: March 13, 2014, 07:49:07 pm »

First of all, CHARCOAL! yes. Your sketches remind me of Star Wars.

Secondly, I remember how terribad I was at draw people so I've decided to invest some time in to figure/face/pose/human drawing. Starting with a face.

There's a lot wrong to be sure, but if anyone want's to point some particular things out that'd be great!

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: March 14, 2014, 03:33:15 am »

I'm not an expert by any means, but I think the greatest offender is the upper lip. The lips portrude (is that the right word?) too much, too sudden. Just going to throw in some reference:
You can see the lower lip is portruding, I think it goes a bit less sudden than in your drawing, but the upper lip is level with the skin. Just changing the upper lip might help a lot, not sure. Also the nose and eyes might be a tad too big, but I'd wait for an expert opinion on that ;)

I love your use of shadow and light. It gives a lot of depth to the whole piece.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: March 14, 2014, 06:34:56 am »

This is pretty good! Even the bits that are off manage to look stylized rather than bad. :D
For a realistic face, I'd say the biggest issue here is that the eyes and nose are too big. Specifically, the bit of the nose between the eyes. The nose bridge? The cranium looks too small, and there's something really weird that I can't put my finger on about the hairline.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: March 19, 2014, 01:28:12 pm »

I've never done any kind of portrait work, other than sprites, so I'm pretty proud of the way this turned out. However, I can't quite seem to get the arms right - they're supposed to be bent slightly forward, but detailed perspective is kind of tricky. I might need to color it to get it to be apparent, but I really don't know how to make that happen. I'm having difficulty perceiving how the light would fall in a way that helps with that (especially because she'd be extremely backlit). The tassels on the epaulettes are probably key, here, but I'm not sure how to make that work, either. Any thoughts on that? Tips in general would be good, too.

Also, I'm sad because I foolishly forgot to save a version with all the path information intact. Realized it the second I closed it. Blah. Gonna have to redo a lot with the shoulders.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 296