Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379259 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4260 on: July 17, 2013, 09:33:47 pm »

Another WIP by me, a japanese themed castle.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: July 18, 2013, 05:28:21 am »

That's shaping up pretty nicely Urist, can't wait to see the final thing.

And Valtam those ships are pretty damn nice looking, I really like the pixel art feel they have.

Anywho, long time no post from me, but now that I have all the free time in the world I can paint muahahahahah!!!! (tho the steam summer sale is kinda messing with that)

Last nights piece, started off as an idea, sketched the ship in my sketchbook, sometime later sketched it out in a composition then made a rough model in Sketchup for perspective and more precise setup of the scene. Afterwards took some random photo bits and piece to give it some values and colours after which it was mostly painting over it. I'm really pleased with the way the ship interacts with the surface while the sky and the ground on the right is kinda iffy. Still, damned fun to do :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Loon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: July 18, 2013, 12:40:38 pm »

A simple DF-BG for my Desktop i made today. Hope you like it.

scaled version:

I am in the mood to take request for Screenscales, professions and starting animals ^^
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:45:55 pm by Loon »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: July 18, 2013, 01:52:42 pm »

can you do one of a hammerdorf sending a goblin flying?

also nice.

@Jopax: That picture is pure awesomeness man, PURE awesomeness!

Loon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: July 18, 2013, 03:56:35 pm »

can you do one of a hammerdorf sending a goblin flying?

What's your Screenscale?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: July 18, 2013, 04:41:52 pm »

1024x768, I think.

EDIT: that's awesome btw.

Loon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: July 18, 2013, 06:13:09 pm »

Thank you.

Here's the one that fits your screen and i corrected my mistake and turned the swordsdwarf into a hammerdwarf.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: July 18, 2013, 06:36:58 pm »

That is totally awesome.

And now I want it in two sizes, if you're up for it.

One 960x854, and one 1680x1050 (For my phone and laptop)

Loon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: July 18, 2013, 08:46:40 pm »

One 960x854, and one 1680x1050

If you have any scene wishes (explanation or a screenshot) i may redraw them if i have the time.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: July 18, 2013, 11:13:39 pm »

Awesome! Well, the desktop one, anyway.

The phone one... less so, sadly. I think I need to rearrange things.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: July 23, 2013, 03:41:42 am »

Here's a WIP I started yesterday with the intent of figuring out how to draw people. (As in actually knowing how, not just eyeballing it.) This is, notably, the first piece I have ever drawn with a forward-facing nose. It's a character portrait for an elf wizard in Willfor's D&D campaign down if FG&RP, so it's very slightly different from human anatomy. Elves in D&D are generally somewhat shorter than humans, but most depictions show their heads to be similar in size. This person is thence something like 6.5 heads tall. The ears are of course supposed to be that pointy. It's a WIP because I both want to add a background and improve what already exists.

Spoiler: Rhenbel Arat (click to show/hide)

I generally just work in MSPaint unless I need to add a transparency layer for the background. (Even the green-fire-on-the-gold-staffhead was done manually!) I like the medium because it suits my favored style of large swathes of color and rather blocky shading. I haven't run into a program yet that can do 8x zoom individual pixel editing quite so handily. I'm a fan of adding tiny pixelated details, and the GIMP is a bit clunky for that.

Introductions out of the way, this is the first piece I've really paid attention to anatomy, depth, texture, and flippin' hands on. Here's what I'm pretty sure I need to change as of this draft:

• The ring on the rightmost hand is in a completely silly place and will be moved somewhere physically possible while being visible. (Like the other hand.)
  • Probably the hands. I have no idea what's wrong with them, but they look really off. I think the one on the left is the proper length, but perspective might be throwing that off completely. There is also not much contrast amongst the hand colors.
  • There's something funky going on with the hem on the left side of the skirt; I'll probably redraw that to avoid the weird angle of the curve on the bottom.
  • There is no shading on the torso as of yet, and that's probably going to change. Reference images are proving difficult to find.
  • The neck probably needs more detail, along with the collarbone being more than a 1-pixel curved line.
  • The face itself is rather unshaded and looks pretty flat at the moment.

Suggestions and criticisms welcomed entirely.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: July 23, 2013, 06:41:51 am »

I think the problem with her right hand is that holding a palm outwards like that is not natural when the hand is held so low. I think the angle between a hand and a forearm shouldn't be less than 90° (now it looks about 45°). Maybe raising the hand to about breast height would help?
With her left hand (the one with the staff) the elbow might be a bit too low. (or at least the small V on the other side). I might be completely wrong about this one though.
Standing in front of a mirror and holding your hands in the pose might help you.

Anyhow it looks promising and I'm looking forward to see a more finished one :)

Edit: I seem to have difficulties telling right from left ::)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:16:14 pm by Ametsala »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: July 23, 2013, 11:24:31 am »

well, purty darn good. Proportionally correct for the most part, and the dress and shoes are particularly excellent.

the biggest thing for me is the neck/jaw area, let me explain:

The neck is shaped strangely, it should be flowing outwards from top to bottom more, (i.e. your neck looks muscular and manly) AND it appears to me to be too tall. Now the chin on the other hand, is anatomically fine, BUT it too looks rather manly. Maybe that's what your going for, but if I recall elves usually have sharp features, try to have the jaw come down to a narrow chin. (speaking of manly, use a more narrow line for the jaw/chin)

other than that, and besides what Ametsala has already said, the only other thing I can spot is maybe the (anatomically) left shoulder is out too far.

Anyways, good job on the shapes, especially the hands, as well as the colouring, it isn't eye-bleeding or generally ridiculous. I can't wait to see the final version!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:28:05 am by Urist McScoopbeard »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: July 23, 2013, 08:37:31 pm »

That's shaping up pretty nicely Urist, can't wait to see the final thing.

And Valtam those ships are pretty damn nice looking, I really like the pixel art feel they have.

Anywho, long time no post from me, but now that I have all the free time in the world I can paint muahahahahah!!!! (tho the steam summer sale is kinda messing with that)

Last nights piece, started off as an idea, sketched the ship in my sketchbook, sometime later sketched it out in a composition then made a rough model in Sketchup for perspective and more precise setup of the scene. Afterwards took some random photo bits and piece to give it some values and colours after which it was mostly painting over it. I'm really pleased with the way the ship interacts with the surface while the sky and the ground on the right is kinda iffy. Still, damned fun to do :D

I really like that one, Jopax. I could easily see that being game art.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: July 24, 2013, 05:32:25 am »

Thanks for the help! I think it's looking quite a bit better. Even with my rather flexible wrists I found it practically impossible to replicate the previous hand position. I'm a little unsure of the scale of the hand and forearm, but I can easily replicate this pose.

Spoiler: Rhenbel Arat Mk. 2 (click to show/hide)

Changes:
  • Moved the hook of the left elbow up the arm a little.
  • Made the curve of the hem a tad less acute on the left side of the dress.
  • Moved the ring of feather fall to the other hand
  • Shortened and curved the neck a bit; made the definition of the carotid path somewhat less stark.
  • Changed the thickness of the line on the jaw as well as pointing the chin somewhat more.

I'm going to have to smooth out the lines on the left hand, but first: is it the proper size? It looks reasonable to me, but I'm not entirely sure where the angle of the forearm puts it.

I'm going to do a few touch-ups on this version and then shade the face, torso, and arms. But first, it's time for a background. Who knew drawing people could be so complicated? Trees are easy.  :P

EDIT: Huh, it appears I lost the bottom of the left ear somewhere. Let me just glue that back on...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:35:19 am by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 283 284 [285] 286 287 ... 296