Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379275 times)

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4245 on: June 30, 2013, 09:29:34 pm »

Looks amazing, but his arms are so thin compared to his legs and it's scaring me.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: July 01, 2013, 05:32:26 am »

Hmmm, true enough. Thought to make his pants look all baggy but instead made them look fat X)
I think the problem might be the boots, if they were thinner I think it would look more believable.

As for Urists comment, yeah. That was my biggest fear actually, that my painting would stand out as odd between all the photo stuff. The wall is a phto texture of some concrete fence or something, I did the upper edge, added some shadows and that patch of ground/foliage on the bottom. And they're sharp because I used the selection tool when doing them, only way to do clean edges I'm afraid, maybe I should've went and roughed them up a bit after the general shapes were there, to give it all a more deteriorated look?

Anyways, thanks for the comments guys, really helpful :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: July 01, 2013, 07:28:54 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:52:02 pm by Ogdibus »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: July 01, 2013, 07:54:14 am »

Now I'm curious.

Ametsala

• Bay Watcher
  • "needs chocolate to get through the working day"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: July 01, 2013, 10:22:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The thing that really bothers me about the picture is the way he's holding the assault rifle. Those things are heavy and holding it that way by the handle puts all the weight on his right wrist. Usually there would be a rifle sling to hold the weight on one's shoulders. If one want's to hold an assault rifle without the sling then it would be held by both hands or possibly from the handle letting it hang on the side point downwards. But really the only way to hold an assault rifle comfortably for an extended period of time is with a sling. Google image search for "rifle sling" had some okay pictures of using a rifle sling.

Other than what's already been said by Urist, and about the huge boots, the pics awesome.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4250 on: July 02, 2013, 07:27:14 pm »

Crossposting from the "random things you've drawn/made/etc" thread.

I've been in a Soviet-era sanatorium owned by a local stockings factory and sketched some buildings. The upper one is an abandoned cafe and the lower one (extremely rushed because I've had to catch an outbound bus) is one of the lodges.

I haven't drawn for a long time because of graduation exams, university admission tests and Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4251 on: July 03, 2013, 06:03:29 am »

Love your style GGI. Some of the lines could be a bit straighter but I'm struggling with that myself so it's not biggie :)

@Ametsala

Yeah I kinda overlooked the sling. Without it, it does look uncomfortable and wierd, the idea was that he'd be holding it lazily resting on his arm while looking around.
AS - IG

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: July 03, 2013, 07:30:41 am »

First real drawing in a while that isn't in the margin of my notebook, posting here for any particular critique and to try and perhaps keep me drawing a bit more.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: July 05, 2013, 05:38:16 am »

Have another one then, I suppose ...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4254 on: July 05, 2013, 07:01:03 am »

Those are pretty awesome. I really like the second one, the technical style is pretty fitting.

Are these only digital or did you use scans for the linework?

If scans you could perhaps up the contrast a bit so the linework is popping out a bit more. If not then having it on separate layers set to multiply helps in keeping it always readable.
AS - IG

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: July 05, 2013, 07:33:03 am »

They are drawn in Gimp with a tablet, linework done with pen sensitivity on hardness & size, 'shading' done on opacity-sensitive pen generally just with black (or rather - line colour) & white.

I'll have a play with multiply layers / contrast and see how it looks, cheers for the feedback :)

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: July 06, 2013, 10:54:46 am »

I've never been able to draw with size hooked to pen pressure. Maybe it's because I drew with pens and pencils more than painted with brushes in my younger days, but it just feels wrong to me.

I do like the ships though. They strike an interesting balance between unusual shapes and perceived functionality.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: July 08, 2013, 03:45:57 am »

Those ships even have cross-sections, mendonca...

Well, after a couple of hours drooling and wondering what to do next, it seems that inspiration (and hard work) struck my brain, and this is what I got in exchange.

Guess I'll first try my hand with basic tridimensional geometry in order to understand how light works against certain surfaces. Had a hard time calculating shades with each stroke and took me around 3 hours from beginning to end, but I guess that lenghty practice will embed that stuff inside my head. Also, the whole thing was quite pleasant to draw.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: July 08, 2013, 07:53:12 pm »

Loathsome double post! Guess I'm getting pretty involved now with drawing.

I'm not too keen on describing what's happening in these scenes, so at least they can convey some sort of situation or general happening in them.

Now, this is the product of the last 3 hours. First, a warm-up session of sorts and rough doodles.

Then, what I would a clear improvement: the execution of the aforementioned idea.

Still need to understand how lightning works. Needless to say, I would appreciate some feedback on this piece and the former one. I don't want to mess with color theory yet, but certainly all I've seen here has encouraged me to take some further steps.
Thanks in advance!
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: July 08, 2013, 09:04:32 pm »

Well, frankly that's awesome.

The only thing I can critique, is the emptiness of the picture (the second). It's just like: "what's goin' on in that right half?", The large blank space makes it seem incomplete I think.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 282 283 [284] 285 286 ... 296