Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 379286 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4200 on: May 01, 2013, 05:35:05 pm »

So, with the aim of bettering my art in a more focused way than "paint whatever you feel like painting" I'll be doing a daily piece from now on. There will be monthly themes, focusing on my weak areas and going out of my comfort zone as much as possible. First month is faces and portraits.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any and all C&C is appreciated :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Randos

• Bay Watcher
  • The Earth Strikes You!
    • View Profile
    • Comic Wolf
« Reply #4201 on: May 01, 2013, 10:26:35 pm »

So, with the aim of bettering my art in a more focused way than "paint whatever you feel like painting" I'll be doing a daily piece from now on. There will be monthly themes, focusing on my weak areas and going out of my comfort zone as much as possible. First month is faces and portraits.

Looks great!  Robert Downy Jr, right?  Some C&C:

I kind of feel like there should be more wrinkles as RDJ has always had those.    There is something funny about the hair line which I can't put my finger on.  It kind of looks like "the corner" of his hairline on the top right doesn't make symmetry with the other side.  I understand that the other side is getting covered up behind the angle, but still something doesn't seem right.  Did you try flipping it horizontally to check for mistakes? 

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: May 01, 2013, 10:57:50 pm »

Looks great!  Robert Downy Jr, right?  Some C&C:

I kind of feel like there should be more wrinkles as RDJ has always had those.    There is something funny about the hair line which I can't put my finger on.  It kind of looks like "the corner" of his hairline on the top right doesn't make symmetry with the other side.  I understand that the other side is getting covered up behind the angle, but still something doesn't seem right.  Did you try flipping it horizontally to check for mistakes?
also, his facial hair seems... off. at least if it is RDJ.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: May 02, 2013, 03:47:17 am »

About the wrinkles, I used an image of him that didn't have that many, and I did skip doing a few of them, not sure why, he seemed alright without them. The hairline does look wierd, and I think I borked it but the image again showed it slightly borked. The facial hair was somewhat lazy since he didn't have that much and it looked like way too much texture so I just kinda lumped most of it together, the colour is off a bit too on there since it was somewhat bothersome to pick one of the million colours of his beard every few pixels.

Anyways, the image I used was this:
(image borked)

Since nobody posted we're doing an edit to bring in the second day piece, this time a knightly appearance by Sir Patrick Stewart!

This one has some issues again, some of them I could have solved but I'm rather tired and wanted to stick to the one day one piece schedule. His eyes and mouth are what's bugging me the most :C
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:36:18 pm by Jopax »
AS - IG

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: May 03, 2013, 08:15:52 pm »

That's awesome, Jopax! If only I knew how to color anything, I would be able to give some feedback... Well, faces are pretty hard overall, do you plan the portrait in advance? Or you just stick to a finished model/photograph and try to draw it from memory? Doing them daily apiece is a pretty neat challenge, I should try something like that...

I haven't done anything noteworhy with the tablet, aside from this:

Will be posting more jerky humans pretty soon.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: May 04, 2013, 12:54:06 am »

Not much planning, pretty much pick a random portrait or picture off the net minutes before I start. I missed yesterdays tho, mostly because of procastrination and beer :C

Will probably miss the next few since I won't have the tablet with me. Probably going to scan a few pencil pieces instead.

Edit:

Heyo, back with the tablet again, need to make up for the lost days, this one was a bit half assier than the others I guess but I think I captured the feel of the original piece adequately:

Edit^2:
Fourth one, SLJ this time mothafuckas!

This one was a motherfucker to deal with, mostly because he has such a textured face it makes it hard to pick out colours and have them seem natural when I paint them.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:16:35 pm by Jopax »
AS - IG

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #4206 on: May 10, 2013, 05:19:22 pm »

Still not used to not seeing badass mechas from Jopax :P But it's nice seeing a change of pace with the portraits.

Here's something that's supposed to be a wip fanart of the latest episode of Bravest warriors.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: May 13, 2013, 08:48:40 pm »

Valtam here.
Still haven't improved a lot, but we'll have to go on. Again, it would be lovely to see these images recolored, and still receiving suggestions. Perspective is no longer wonky, at least, although proportions are still a bit flawed.

Loving all the hard work seen here.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: May 17, 2013, 12:40:07 pm »

Maybe not the usual fare of this thread, but I made a map a while ago! It's for a game here, and I think it turned out pretty well for a first-ever try (with tablet+Photoshop). Comments welcome.

Spoiler: Clicker for bigger! (click to show/hide)

I think I'll start submitting stuff in general to this thread again. Last time was in, like, 2010.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 12:42:10 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: May 17, 2013, 06:26:11 pm »

its nice, gives you the sense of the land well. Is it inspired by Tamriel? it seems similar both in shape and land types!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: May 17, 2013, 08:42:38 pm »

It also looks like Australia. Except, y'know, slightly less deadly.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: May 18, 2013, 07:17:05 am »

I think it looks like Russia and China had a child.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: May 18, 2013, 11:47:35 am »

I just had 'stretches wide horizontally' as the only thing in mind when I started, going for a sort-of Eurasia shape. Everyone keeps telling me it looks very similar to ______, so go figure. I guess it has one of those faces.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: May 26, 2013, 03:17:11 pm »

Randomish doodle with some textures thrown in for good measure. Any comments on the perspective? One of the rare times I used a grid to set it all up.
AS - IG

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: May 26, 2013, 04:23:18 pm »

It surely worked! Great job, Jopax.

The feet feel great, but I think the main body looks a bit leaned to it's right. Maybe it's just me.
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 296