Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 377631 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4095 on: November 25, 2012, 05:50:06 am »

People of the irc told me that I should post my 'faux-movie posters' in this thread. So be it :v

I'm too vulnerable to the will of the proletariat, after all. Rate the quality on your own v:

Spoiler: THE SKYRUNNER (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: HAMSTONE, THE BETRAYAL (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: PANDAR III (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 07:35:54 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: November 25, 2012, 05:29:28 pm »

More progress (Still NSFW)

Now it's got everything but the head, even if the hands and feet aren't finished at all. At least there's something there.

Looking pretty good so far Japa.

So I drew this sketch from my mind today, I have to say I think the posemaniac sessions have helped dramatically when it comes to anatomy.

Also yes there is a huge block of whitespace on the left side, I will be using that for the background, I think.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: November 26, 2012, 07:45:54 am »

That's pretty good bombzero, the improvement is really noticeable.

BUT! (there is always atleast one)

There are a few small issues, the head looks wierd, like a vulture or someting, but I guess that could be because it's blank and you can't eactly tell how it's facing or anything, one way I think to fix it would be to move it a bit back, kinda hard to explain, but right now it seems that he has a really long skull with the face on the end of it, kinda like the Alien, pull it back a bit or move the entire face up or something. Or heck, just finish it as is, I think it will become much clearer if there's an issue or not.

The crotch area is also slightly non-existant, or it's positioned awkwardly, makes the legs look slightly detached from the upper half.

Still, keep it up, you're well on your way to becoming boss at these things :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: November 26, 2012, 04:53:46 pm »

-snip-

Well, how about this, does this address some of those issues?

P.S. I did not intend for the breasts to be that large, I did not intentionally draw the breasts that large, In fact I have absolutely no clue how the breasts ended up that large.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: November 26, 2012, 06:12:23 pm »

I know that feeling, bro. I did that on my 3d model too.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: November 26, 2012, 07:21:41 pm »

You were probably tweaking them because something looked off, then after a number of tweaks you realize "Holy shit, those are some big boobs!"

Also, I think I've figured out the head problem, it's wierdly connected to the neck, there's that odd bulge in the back and then it kinda thins out towards the middle of the neck. Makes it seem detached, like there's no bone in there or something :S
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

stickadtroja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: November 28, 2012, 05:13:22 pm »

Svampapa: stop it, you make me blush!  :)
so of course i will make that breakdown for you. beware though that i havent had any time to finish a piece in a while so this is just a sketch:

the process:

A. Since I'm more comfortable with linework than colours I make the basic shapes on a coloured background. trying to get a feel for the anatomy and such.
B. In photoshop I have the linework on one layer and put some basic colours beneath it.
C. Starts to add shit to a new layer. I wanted to make some kind of scifi worker so starts to block out techy stuff.
D. Put some coulors under it.
E. Add some stuff to make it more intresting. This is as far I take sketches, and if I really like it or have some other motivation, I finish it. But the basic things are all there: colours, shapes and hopefully somekind of intresting mood. (not in this though since it was for a 3d character  im doing)
F. ....? I havent gotten this far with this sketch, but this is usally where I start putting a more polished look on everything. I just paint on top of all the layers on a new layer. whenever i want to add something i just put it on a new layer and check if i like it. this takes the longest time of all the stages, and thats why I usally stop at E... which im trying to push myself on not doing. finishing stuff is important.

so if anything should be learnt it is to just draw and paint a lot. and to auctally finish pieces. hope this helps!

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 05:20:23 pm by stickadtroja »

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: November 28, 2012, 07:34:43 pm »

Woo! :D

Time for bed now, but I'll look through it for real tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: December 04, 2012, 01:53:24 am »

Alright I hate to bust in here, but I'd like some insight. I'd like to try my hand at learning to draw again, that is, accelerate my skill at drawing past the realm of kindergarten finger paintings.

Looking at videos though, and trying these odd online tutorials, I can't help but feel this is ponderously difficult, and I can't see how anyone could start or enjoy this kind of work, though it's obvious that's not the case. More likely than not, this is another of the many things my schizoidal brain just throws a tantrum over, and showers me with discouraging feelings and that prevents me from getting past the starting point on so so so many things. I'd really like to learn, I hate having the feeling of 'I can't do it' but I'm just not sure where to start and the simplest stuff is still so intimidating.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction, it's obvious people can enjoy doing this, and I'd like to see how.

somebody

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: December 04, 2012, 02:18:10 am »

Honestly, all you have to do is work past the stage where you think everything you draw is shit.

For the basics of art, I guess if you have no experience at all, read Betty Ross's Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain and then move on to Andrew Loomis's books.

Keep in mind, you're not supposed to draw like them, you're supposed to learn the ideas their drawing illustrate in the book.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 02:22:32 am by somebody »

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: December 04, 2012, 03:37:56 pm »

Do bust on in! It gets too quiet here sometimes anyway.

Maybe you're just holding yourself by too high standards?

I've been doodling and drawing as far as I can remember, I still find old comic books and sheets of paper from when I was wee high with weird crayon doodles all over them. But I still can't really produce anything I'll feel 100% happy with, some twenty years later. The point is that as long as it's just a hobby, the important part is having fun. If it's fun enough, the rest will come eventually... or so I keep telling myself. ;)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: December 04, 2012, 06:01:16 pm »

Alright I hate to bust in here, but I'd like some insight. I'd like to try my hand at learning to draw again, that is, accelerate my skill at drawing past the realm of kindergarten finger paintings.

Looking at videos though, and trying these odd online tutorials, I can't help but feel this is ponderously difficult, and I can't see how anyone could start or enjoy this kind of work, though it's obvious that's not the case. More likely than not, this is another of the many things my schizoidal brain just throws a tantrum over, and showers me with discouraging feelings and that prevents me from getting past the starting point on so so so many things. I'd really like to learn, I hate having the feeling of 'I can't do it' but I'm just not sure where to start and the simplest stuff is still so intimidating.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction, it's obvious people can enjoy doing this, and I'd like to see how.
Man honestly, most tutorials are absolute crap.
In fact when it comes to art if anyone busts out a list of steps on how to do one specific end product*, just ignore them as they don't want to teach you to draw, they want to teach you to imitate them.

*Exceptions include: Anatomy of real creatures, shading on real life materials, perspective, and pretty much anything from "real life". These things have "objectively correct" states and thusly somebody can in fact be more correct than you in doing them.

At any rate, judging from what you said it might help if you abandoned traditional step-by-step instruction one element of art at a time and took a more.... open? route to learning.
I would personally suggest just chilling out, watching some videos on piece construction, shading, brush control, etc etc without following along, then practicing on your own for a bit after watching the entire video.
http://CtrlPaint.com is great for this actually.

Once you got the basics of how to actually use your tools down, I'd suggest going into more technical aspects.
Now, you'd probably find textbook-style stuff ass end boring so I'd recommend using some more hands-on methods for this part.

Perspective: just draw stuff, cubes, buildings, signs, anything you want while paying attention to vanishing points and horizon lines and all that crap.

Anatomy: I'd recommend using a pose-study site of some kind after reading up on some basic textual stuff.
Couple of good websites for this include:
Start of a good series on anatomy over on DA: http://fav.me/d3n4rix
Two useful websites for observational drawing: http://lovecastle.org/draw/  www.posemaniacs.com

Beyond that, practice and post whatever you make here!

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: December 04, 2012, 07:36:45 pm »

The trick is to stick with it and not expect yourself to magically achieve exactly like what you're seeing in tutorials. (Many of the people providing tutorials have years of experience.)

I do the exact same thing, and it is discouraging. Good art takes time and dedication, just like achieving anything good in life. When I actually draw something I can appreciate, usually after spending half an hour or even an hour if I'm shading, it feels great, and worth the effort.

Don't be surprised if you think you could do better, you are usually your worst critic.

Don't be discouraged if you aren't happy with a bunch of your drawings either, even professionals have a bunch of half finished doodles.

Basically, draw alot. I'd suggest drawing from reference, it's what I'm doing at the moment and I find myself drawing much more and feeling good about the results, too.

Lastly, Google images is a good source of cool stuff to draw.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: December 05, 2012, 07:01:16 am »

Thanks for the advice everyone geeze. I started reading that book by Betty Edwards, Drawing from the right side of the Brain, and it's really interesting so far. I also looked into the CTRL+paint website, and that looks interesting too.

Let's just see where this takes me.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: December 05, 2012, 07:49:16 am »

I understand that this picture is quite a days old, but I can't help but notice... spirals...

*shudder*
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 296